Measuring rice and pasta - before or after cooking?

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
It dawned on me last night that I'm probably wrongly measuring my pasta and rice servings. I usually measure them before cooking, then dish out half between my husband and myself. Am I supposed to measure after cooking?

Replies

• GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I usually measure after cooking.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Before. Most packages say dry, which means before adding the water and cooking it. 1/4 cup dry rice, 2 oz dry pasta. Hope this helps!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Before. Most packages say dry, which means before adding the water and cooking it. 1/4 cup dry rice, 2 oz dry pasta. Hope this helps!

This. When cooked you are including water weight too.
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    if you are making multiple serving of a food item, measure after cooking for the most accurate intake. mfp has info for both dry and cooked meausurments of pasta, rice, etc. make sure you choose accordingly :)
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I measure it dry. There is no calories in water
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Recipe amounts are shown before cooking. No idea about what people on MFP have put in their database, but it is usual to use the "before" amount. For instance, for 2 people I would cook 8 oz of rice in 1 1/2 pints of water.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Thanks! At least I'm not alone in measuring before.

I will measure after cooking when I have guests over. It reminds me of my old job as a dietary aide. :P
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I measure before as well, not sure what the equivalent is, but 1 cup of dry pasta is too much for me
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    when cooking rice the box is dry.. eg) minute rice is 1/2 cup dry = 1 cup cooked.... and is so many calories. So i always go by that, i will measure 1 cup when cooked and then place on my plate.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Ways to be more accurate with pasta:
    1. Measure before cooking. If you measure after cooking, you're measuring a variable amount of water.
    2. Measure weight not volume. Cups are the devils measure and he'll slip in extra calories.

Do you have digital scales?
  • pandabear1102
    Options
    You know...I thought my portions were extra small, but I never used to weigh my food before and just thought I was completely over indulging... Good to know!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I will measure after cooking when I have guests over. It reminds me of my old job as a dietary aide. :P
    Then you'll be wrong. The values on the package refer to the dry weight. You'll be cheating yourself out of half your food this way.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I usually measure after cooking.

***This
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    if you are making multiple serving of a food item, measure after cooking for the most accurate intake. mfp has info for both dry and cooked meausurments of pasta, rice, etc. make sure you choose accordingly :)

I do the same as this..............dry weight if it's just for me and cooked weight if it's for the family.
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    You can do it either way, just make sure you know it's the calories for dry or cooked. I measure cooked because I never make just one serving when i have a family to cook for also.

For example this morning I made a pot of brown rice.

1/4 cup dry is 160 calories
    1 cup cooked is 208
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I weigh it before cooking.
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You should measure dry weight as cooked measurements can vary according to how you could your pasta...soft, aldente, etc....having a vary amound to water weight.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    ladyfingers39 wrote:
    1 cup cooked is 208

Cups are the devil's measure. Do you have digital scales?
  • Ibarra951
    Ibarra951 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can do it either way, just make sure you know it's the calories for dry or cooked. I measure cooked because I never make just one serving when i have a family to cook for also.

For example this morning I made a pot of brown rice.

1 cup cooked is 208

This confuses me, do you cook it with added oils or butter?

Typically I cook brown rice w/ water, and last I checked water has no calories. The only difference between cooked and uncooked should be volume and weight, not calories. If it was 1/4 cup dry in, cooked w/ water and became 1 cup out, the calories should stay the same unless you added something.
  • CynthiaHartung
    CynthiaHartung Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me to measure before because I am making a whole box of pasta and then trying to eat one serving. However, most often I cannot find the cooked weights on my fitness pal. Any suggestions?