Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as fo

Options
This got me thinking this morning. Waaayyy back when, growing up in a very small town in Germany , food shopping was an almost daily thing. I would go either with my mother or grandmother " into town "early in the morning. We would walk !! We would stop at the butcher to get our meat cut, then on to the baker for the bread. I loved the bakery, because they always gave you a hot roll, fresh out of the oven to munch on. Then it was on to the daily farmer's market for fruits and veggies. As I got older, I was allowed to ride my bike to do all this !!! I saw my first packaged loaf of white bread when I came to the states in 1978, and I hate it to this day,lol. The funny part is that I remember everything about these trips, the noises,the smells in the bakery and so many conversations. I don't believe that my son remembers much about our grocery shopping trips here:(

Replies

• Pamela777
    Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What precious memories u have! Thank u for sharing them. You're right, things are so different today. I'm a grandma of 4 now and see what those grandbabies live like, the things they experience, and wish sometimes we were living like when I was a kid - I just love your post!:smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Yup, early childhood involvement with food in and out of the house is a casualty of the 2 person income and especially now with a good percentage of those 2 person incomes down to single person parenting (divorce). Basically one of the big factors imo that has led North America down the overweight and undernourished road.
  • fruitloops313
    fruitloops313 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you Pamela777, and we always thought we had it so bad as kids,lol. Neanderthin, I totally agree with you :)