Spinach

bagge72
bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
So I don't really like a whole lot of vegetables, and lettuce is just boring to me, so I decided to start adding some spinach to my meals to take place some of the carbs, and it is something I can tolerate. So my problem is what to put on it to give it a little more flavor? I don't like any dressings, oils or anything like that. I am probably the most picky eater you have ever seen, which makes it a little tougher to eat healthy with out being so boring all of the time. Should I just eat it with some fruit in it?

Replies

• kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    If you like hard boiled eggs, they go great with spinach and can add a creaminess to it. Eggs have great nutrition and good fat, so that's a healthful option.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    You can eat it raw in a salad, mix it in a stir fry, pasta dishes, protein shakes (you cant even taste it) ect. It will take on whatever flavor you want. I LOVE spinach!
  • bagge72
    Yeah I had it for the first time last night with my steak tips I had for dinner, and just the juices from the steak made it pretty darn good. I wish I liked eggs, because that would helpout a lot with my lifting! Definitely going to putting some buffalo chicken on it too, just trying to see who else I can add to it haha. Definitely have to try it in stir fry!
  • Wishbone makes a Salad Spritzer in various flavors, 1 calorie per spray. It is not oily and has a lite taste, I like the Balsamic Breeze flavor, but they also have honey mustard and walnut raspberry.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 833 Member
    I add spinach to everything I make, well almost. Chop it up and add to spaghetti sauce, hamburger(or lentails for me) for patties, Egg salad, the uses are enless and my kids don't even know it is there.
  • I know you said you're not a fan of oils, but if you can tolerate a little bit, then do a quick saute with a drizzle of olive oil. Sometimes I'll add a splash of balsamic vinegar (you don't need much) right at the end to give it a little bite.

Another one of my favorite non-salad way is to make spinach and scrambled eggs with a bit of crumbled feta cheese but I saw you're not an egg eater either.

As far as salads - spinach with fresh blueberries or strawberries and some grilled chicken or shrimp and a lite dressing is awesome.

Edited to add: Sometimes the pan juices from the meat work to saute it, but I've had better luck wiping out the pan and then using fresh olive oil.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    I make salads with spinach and mixed organic greens, dill, basil, strawberries, red onion, homeroasted sunflower seeds and balsalmic vinegar and mustard. Eggs a good addition.

Chopped spinach, cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil asparagus tips, and feta (low fat) cheese tossed with whole wheat (or spinach based) pasta is yummy.
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    I cook up some garlic, onions, tomatoes and then the last minute or two add chopped spinach on top. I add that mixture to some pasta and add blue cheese. YUM!
  • bagge72
    Thanks for the great Idea everyone!
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    burp
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    i'm not a fan of spinach but like you i have it instead of lettuce in my salad - for the nutritional gain. Watercress is good too.

i have a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, tabasco, salt & pepper and vinegar. i've just started using mini pickled cucumbers or gherkins instead of regular cucumber which is nice.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    I usually saute it with some olive oil and garlic. I also add it to my protein shakes. I also chop it and add it to eggs. You can also sneak it into meatloaf or meatballs. If you want to eat it raw, mix it in with lettuce for salad.