YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT??????

Options
hi guys....im sure a lot of people have heard this saying before-You are what you eat....but im just kind of confused....only because there are individuals out there who eat very poorly and still have amazing bodies.....how can this be? they must have very good genetics....and i know i am just jealous!

Replies

• AshBear
    AshBear Posts: 63
    Options
    I agree!! hate them!! Hopefully we'll be doing better than them one day in old age! That's what I like to think anyway
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If this is true then I really am a Meatloaf Muffin................................:ohwell:
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you consider to be "poor eating"?
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    they may be thin but they are by no means healthy. one thing that society has to get out of its mind is that THIN DOES NO EQUAL HEALTHY. take models for an example. I helped my friend prep models for fashion week, and let me tell you, those girls were most definitely not fit.

being able to run 5 miles or do 50 pushups is not something that happens with being thing.
    as i heard someone on this site say not too long ago, we're trying to be healthy. weight loss is just a nice side effect.
  • wiufan
    wiufan Posts: 7
    Options
    Just lucky. Too bad Im not one of them....
  • babiliz
    babiliz Posts: 2
    Options
    I HAVE LIVED WITH MANY "NATURALLY SKINNY" GIRLS WHO APPEAR TO PIG OUT ON JUNK FOOD. FROM OBSERVING THEM CLOSELY, I REALIZE THEY MAY HAVE EPISODES OF EATING HAMBURGERS, PIZZA, CHOCOLATE OR WHATEVER, BUT....

THEY DO NOT REALLY EAT THAT MUCH WHEN THEY ARE ALONE OR BETWEEN MEALS. IF YOU WERE TO SPY ON THEM ALL DAY, YOU WOULD REALIZE THERE TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE IS PROBABLY NOT THAT HIGH WHEN OBSERVED LONG TERM/OVERTIME.

I HAVE COME TO BELIEVE THAT SKINNY PEOPLE REALLY ARE SKINNY BECAUSE THEY EAT LESS. :( MAYBE SOME PEOPLE HAVE SLIGHT METABOLIC ADVANTAGES, BUT STILL...
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, I weighed about 120 lbs, and as a single student, ate waaay worse than I do now. I lived on Kraft Dinner, Ichiban, Macaroni, McDonald's, chips, pop, and beer/assorted alcoholic beverages.

But I also felt like crap, had bad skin, dry hair, and needed about 12 hours of sleep a night. I was always constipated and sick a lot.

I think what you put in your body seriously affects all of your body systems..sure some of those girls may be thin on the outside but not so healthy on the inside.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, my brother is like that. He's a master carpenter, so does physical labor all day. He is thin (about 6'3" and about 185 lbs) and looks like he's in great shape, and he's strong. But when he goes to the doctor, the doctor panics about his numbers. High cholesterol, high blood sugar, high insulin levels, elevated blood pressure, just plain bad numbers. He is in poor shape and can't even run a mile. Just because you may LOOK good on the outside, doesn't mean you're healthy. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a heart attack (he's only 40), couple that with the fact that he smokes, and he's a mess physically. He know's all this, yet he still does it. It baffles me because he's smart, some people just don't care.

My advice? Worry about you, don't worry about those other people, cuz you never know what's going on inside their body till something breaks and they are in serious trouble.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    The only person I have known personally to date to have a full blown heart attack was under 100 pounds. Her spouse actually died 1 year later of cardiac arrest. Being thin does not make you healthy.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer that called people who are thin with no muscle tone "skinny-fat."

As far as the you are what you eat concept, this is how I think of it. Two people prepare the same meal. One person is using high quality fresh ingredients and takes their time make sure everything is done properly. The other is using the cheapest not really fresh ingredients and just rushed through preperations. Both meals will be ediable but the one with the high quality ingredients will be much better. It's the same with your body. If you eat healthy foods, limit the unhealthy foods, and exercise, your body will be the best it can be.

Also, as easy as it is to curse the people who have good genetics (i.e. high metabolism, generally good health despite bad habits), I know I do it as much as the next person, imagine how much better their health would be if they ate healthier and took care of their bodies.