Marathon Training

Options
Hello. I'm currently training for a marathon and have noticed by mile 6 I often get fatigued but I don't take energy gel shots. Im asking for your go to quick fix while running. Do any of you take anything aside from water while running to keep you going? Please be kind.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough carbs ahead of your runs? Depending on where you are on your training plan you shouldn't be feeling fatigued after 10K.

Any time I'm running more than 1 1/2 hrs or so I'll take a gel every 45 minutes & use a sports drink rather than water.

If you haven't been using any gels I'd suggest trying one on a non-running day and, if your body tolerates that one well take another before going for a shortish run - last thing you want are digestive problems on a long run day. (I don't use ones with caffeine but that's just personal preference)

You may have to experiment with sports drinks, I don't tolerate Gatorade well but G2 works fine for me. If you can find out what they'll have at the water stations during the race try and train using that drink to avoid surprises on race day.

Good luck!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I like GU brand gel. I take it about every hour. Definitely experiment with what works for you before race day or you might be hanging out in the porta potty line more than you'd like.

Gummi Bears, dried fruit, and jelly beans are also good options. I'm not too great at chewing past 18 miles, so the GU works for me. Peanut butter flavor = awesome.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    On long runs, I'll do those gummy things or a Gu shot.

Keep in mind that as you train and push your body on longer runs, your body will adapt and become more efficient at using your stored energy. If you don't push your body, you'll always need that input at mile 6.

I have trained like this for years and often I don't take anything in until after 16 miles without any issues with performance energy.

However, what is being said about training with it for stomach reasons is a good point. For that reason, I do it on runs over 16 miles so I am ready for it on race day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    if you are overly fatigued by mile 6, slow down from the start of your next long run.
    I'm training for my 2nd marathon and have done really well, just keeping it slow and actually trying to take as little gels as possible during my long runs. Just water. But everyone has to figure out what works for them.
  • BeGreat25
    BeGreat25 Posts: 78
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I will definitely take it slow by mile 6 and will try the gummies or the shots.
  • BeGreat25
    BeGreat25 Posts: 78
    Options
    if you are overly fatigued by mile 6, slow down from the start of your next long run.
    I'm training for my 2nd marathon and have done really well, just keeping it slow and actually trying to take as little gels as possible during my long runs. Just water. But everyone has to figure out what works for them.

Yes good idea. But my legs just seem to take over lol. I do really need to slow it down.