Help! My 2 year old neice is coming over!!

Options
nixirain
nixirain Posts: 448 Member
Well almost 3 year old. She is coming over tonight and staying until dinner time tomorrow and I need to know what I should stock my fridge with for her! She really isn't a picky eater, but I want to make sure I have drinks/snacks and meals that are healthy, yummy and kid friendly.

What do the little ones eat these days?

Replies

• paulieboy113
    paulieboy113 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    well my kids love graham crackers, fruit, chocolate milk (especially tru moo), peanut butter and jelly, and of corse fruit snacks.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Gogurts, fruit snacks and cheese sticks. My kids love those!
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I feed my nephew anything.. If I'm eating it he usually wants some so whenever I eat I'll make him the same just a smaller portion :)
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old niece. I make sure to have some gold fish or animal crackers. Other than that I give her bananas or other fresh fruit, as for meals, she eats what I eat- just in smaller portions. My niece isn't a terribly picky eater either, so fruits and veggies are always a good choice.

As far as drinks go- I give her either water, a little juice cut with water, or milk (but that is only at meals)

As long she doesn't have any food allergies, pretty much anything that they can chew, not choke on, and is healthy is a pretty safe bet!!
  • sissypunks
    Options
    i have a 2 and 4 yr old and they love most kinds of fruit , tru moo chocolate milk and wheat thins, and string cheese!
  • paulieboy113
    paulieboy113 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I feed my nephew anything.. If I'm eating it he usually wants some so whenever I eat I'll make him the same just a smaller portion :)

so true! kids always want what you have.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Go-gurt, string cheese, cheese nip crackers, applesauce or cut up fruit.
  • lrgirl81
    lrgirl81 Posts: 14
    Options
    You may want to ask her parents what foods she likes/ doesn't like :) they probably know
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you get juice - get juice that isn't darkly colored (grape juice) make sure you have a cup with a lid. Pretty much any food that is small enough for her to hold in her hand will be good. What did her parents say about what she likes to snack on? Cheese, crackers, grapes, bananas, yogurt were favorites in our house when the kids were that age.
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Every child is different, I honestly suggest asking her parents what she likes.

For example, my boys love fruits and berries - pineapple, grapes, strawberries, etc. They also love yogurt, fruit snacks, crackers and the scattered cookie. Some of my friend's children won't touch that stuff.
  • andj2011
    andj2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my kids love milk, yogurt(especially the smoothie monkey ones or the gogurts),string cheese, fruit, veggies wt ranch,goldfish,pretzels,granola bars,veggie chips, yogurt covered raisons meals they pretty much have what we have.
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If she is not picky, just have some fruits, also some fruit pops. Edy's has a delicious strawberry fruit pop and is low in calories so you won't be giving her junk. My kids love em. Also vanilla wafers and peanut butter, if she is not allergic to nuts.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    pretty much everything they have said
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,041 Member
    Options
    Every kid is different. My granddaughter loves hard boiled eggs, cinnamon toast, cheese sticks, and milk (but she wouldn't touch chocolate milk with a ten-foot pole). She also loves apples with different names -- pink lady, honey crisp, pinata, fuji.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My nephews (3 & 5) eat what I eat. I refuse to stock up on PB&J, Mac & Cheese, and Chicken Nuggets just because that is what kids menus tell them they should be eating! Even when I take them out for dinner, we go places that don't have kids menus, so they've tried Thai and real Mexican food and normally do okay.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, bread, capri sun water (tastes like juice, but it is really water), spaghetti sauce and noodles
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure when I was approaching 3 years old I was given the same as the adults, it didn't pay to be fussy or different in our house or you were shown the bread and jam :sad:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I feed 3 year olds the same stuff I eat. They have teeth and can eat the same stuff. If she's not that picky, don't go out of your way.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Applesauce & cheese sticks are sure fire kids snacks. And great for adults too :smile:
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    unfortunately kids like anything in nugget form....but all love strawberries, block cheese and yogurt. I freeze the Yogurt Tubes...at 2, my boy loved rice, no matter what colour.

Grab a few Wiggles DVD's!!! Also, the fact that you care so much is encouraging - you will be a great parent someday :)