New here but feeling discouraged

Options
First of all I have 200 pounds to lose.

I have exercised 13 days in a row (leslie sansone walk at home dvd). I am eating small meals about 4-5 times a day (vegetarian source protein at every meal, low carb, low fat) that equal no more then 200-300 calories each time. Plus I have totally cut out wine and beer (I was drinking a good share EVERY night). I have not lost more then 2 pounds and that is even stretching it.

I am already taking synthroid and FINALLY have my thyroid levels where they should be after an up and down chase for the past few years.

I am so sad right now. I am on the verge of tears.

I think I feel firmer and in general feel better over all but I thought I would see better results on the scale since I do have soooo much to lose. : (

The lack of the scale moving is what is making me feel so bad right now.

Replies

• J_M1987
    J_M1987 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated, but when you really put things in to perspective, 2 lbs in 2 weeks isn't bad. Doctors recommend 1-2 lbs lost a week, so you're right on track. Also, if you're only eating 200 calories at meals, that mean's you're only eating around 1,000 calories a day, perhaps you should think about increasing your intake? Also, since you have upped your activity and have exercised 13 days in a row your body might need water and a rest.

Don't get discouraged so quickly, change doesn't come overnight--even though I know we all wish it did! Just keep on with the healthy habits and the weight loss will follow. You mentioned that you've noticed some positive body changes, so focus on those until the scale changes. I know it seems like the longest journey ever, but you're headed in the right direction. Have faith in yourself :)
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm on synthroid as well, and I lose pretty slowly. Just keep your chin up, keep your calorie deficit going, and don't look back. If you don't make the change, the weight will never come off by itself.

I have weeks where I lose 2 pounds and weeks where I lose .2-.5. I maintained for about a month.

Don't give yourself "high calorie weekends"--and it's very very easy to eat back every last calorie you deficitted over the week, so log absolutely everything. ANYtime I don't log calories, I don't lose as much.

Everyone is different, but I found exercise DVDs very dull and boring. I do better with calisthenics, completely wearing myself out, or doing moderate cardio with a Kindle in front of me. Find something that engages you or that you can disconnect your mind from to do other things.

Make it more about getting healthier fuel in your body and treating yourself right than a number on the scale. While it's true that weight loss is simple calorie math, it's also true that you will gradually feel better mentally and physically eating well as opposed to eating small portions of junk food. I didn't even NOTICE the change til I was PMSing and replaced my chicken and veggies with pizza. I felt like utter poop after that!

Rome wasn't built in a day, and losing slow isn't the end of the world.

Congrats on making the decision to be healthier!!! :)
  • KimberlyAllison36
    Options
    I understand - the beginning of a weight loss plan is always frustrating because you work your absolute hardest and you are fighting the cravings at the same time. You are changing your life so drastically so you are expecting to see results fast! I think everyone goes through this!

I was 30 lbs overweight - I was drinking every night and eating like crazy! I see that you are a vegetarian - I began mostly vegan (with some cheese eating here and there) about 6 months ago, at the same time I started counting my calories for 1200 calories a day, exercising regularly, but still drinking and eating on the weekends without counting.
    6 months later - I have lost 33 lbs!
    I think the calorie counting is huge. Figuring out what your BMI is is very important - I am still confused about what mine is. I google it and it ranges from 1200-2000 calories! I have just seen what works for my body. You can only eat 1200 calories for so long - but you have to make sure you EAT. You do not want to ruin your metabolism only to gain the weight back.
    Since you have 200 lbs to lose, I would say that your BMI is higher - I would start cutting down to between 1300-1500 calories a day with regular exercise. Especially being vegetarian - you can eat so many vegetables that fill you up for less calories. Every Sunday or Monday I make a massive veggie stir-fry with rice and beans and it usually feeds me for 3 days. I also make a big fruit salad to snack on throughout the week. Preparing foods ahead of time is a great key to eating right.
    My BIGGEST piece of advice for anyone on here is to change your mindset - it is the only thing that helps me: If there is something you want - do not say that you CAN'T eat it. Remind yourself that you are CHOOSING not to eat it so you can stay on track. If you still can't resist - remember that you are CHANGING YOUR LIFESTYLE - you are NOT ON A DIET. Have that sliver of cake or that cookie - just remember to accurately track it and continue your day like normal. Go for a longer walk or an extra walk.
    Do not overwork yourself - you will just exhaust yourself after a few weeks.
    Anything you are doing now is better then what you were doing before - always remember that. Be patient - I know it is hard. Just remember that today when you have exercised and log your calories - that is so much better then how you were eating before and drinking before.
    It is the only thing that helps me!
    Good luck! Try switching to vegan and getting rid of dairy - I lost a lot of weight when I did that. I only drink almond milk (soy products make me sick in large portions) and limit my cheese intake (still have pasta with sauces that have milk and cheese) but I always get the soy cheeses. You will freak out when you see how much weight you lose from that!
    My advice: Watch the documentary 'Forks Over Knives' and read the book 'Skinny *****' - combined with my motivation these were the two things that contributed the most to my weight loss.
    You will do this!!!!!!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I plugged in my numbers on here and I am supposed to have over 2000 calories. That is just crazy to me.
  • xoxMandyxox
    xoxMandyxox Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I plugged in my numbers on here and I am supposed to have over 2000 calories. That is just crazy to me.

You have 138 pounds to lose? 2000 calories a day isn't bad at all actually. Because of your activity level, you have to eat that amount a day to properly fuel your body.

I have a "cheat day" every week. No, I don't go hog wild on junk food. I continue eating healthy, I just don't count calories. And I might have a cookie or two.

Just eat healthy, make sure that you're eating enough, and stay positive. As other's have said, 2 pounds in two weeks is actually really good!! Also, I know that you've cut out wine and beer, but what about soda and other sugary drinks. Watch the sugar in your diet as well. A lot of the time, if you're doing great in every other area, it's the sugar you have everyday that can effect whether or not you lose weight.

Good luck!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    Options
    I have 200 pounds to lose. No sugar at all. All I drink is water and coffee with a splash of half and half. I even cut down the amount of half and half I use in it. I read EVERYTHING no added sugar at all.
  • artaddict
    Options
    Losing weight is a slow process. If I get it stuck in my head how much weight I have to lose I get depressed too. The important thing is to not think about how disappointed you are at your weight, but how proud you are that you are doing something about it! It's one thing to be skinny and pretty, but that feeling will never compare to being proud of your personality, determination, and willingness to change your life for the better.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Okay, lot's here. First off, DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!! It takes a little time for your body to catch up with all of the changes. Plus, you can't expect this to happen overnight. When I started I was getting discouraged because I was eating better/fewer calories, lifting weights & doing cardio. But, I wasn't losing weight. Then, it started happening. One thing I tell myself, I didn't get overweight overnight so I can't expect to lose all of the weight overnight either.

Now as far as the thyroid. I have Graves, underwent radio-iodine treatment to knock out my thyroid and am currently taking .150mcg of synthroid daily. In reading and researching I have found out that its a slower process with weightloss with thyroid problems. I suggest reading as much as you can about this and see if your endrocrinologist can recommend a dietician with experience treating weightloss with hypothyroidism.

And remember, YOU ARE NOT ALONE on this.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i imagine you didnt gain those 200 lbs in two weeks, so you cant expect to lose them so quickly either. this is a long term thing so focus on establishing healthy habits. It sounds like you are starting off well with exercise and mindful eating. Keep it up and focus on the positives (13 days of exercising is great!)
  • xoxMandyxox
    xoxMandyxox Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If the scale has you this down, throw the ****er out! [Excuse my language!] Seriously! If you see two pounds in two weeks as a bad thing, you're focusing on the number too much, and you should start focusing on your body in other way. Do you feel better physically? Do you have more energy? Are you happy with the healthy lifestyle changes you have made?

Try looking at the bigger picture. You're eating healthy and you're exercising regularly. That's the best thing you can be doing for your body. If you just focus on that, the weight will take care of itself. Besides, scales lie. It could be water weight, or food you haven't pooped out yet :laugh:

Oh, and make sure you weigh yourself in the mornings after you go to the bathroom, but before you eat breakfast to get the most accurate weight. Not sure if you're doing that or not, but I thought that I'd just say it anyway, just in case :)
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I get discouraged also because I have lost weight quickly in the past but the thing is I always gained it back fast. I am trying to do it slowly this time so my habits change along with it and eating right and exercising becomes second nature to me. When I feel down and discouraged I go through the sucess stories here and I get right back up and get going. If they can do it so can I!!!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My scale moves very slowly also, and I definitely empathize. The best advice anybody ever gave me here was this:

The scale is not your friend, and it is certainly not the best measure of your success.

When I learned that, I began measuring myself. My neck, under-bust, waist, hips, biceps, forearms, thighs, and calves. To date, I've lost only 9 lbs (I've been doing this since January) BUT I have reduced my body size by a total of 24 inches. To me, that's just shocking! I've reduced a pant size, and almost 2 full bra band sizes.

My family experiences thyroid issues, though only one of us has actually been placed on Synthroid, but losing pounds is slow for most of us in our tribe. It's nice to know there is a better way of gauging your success than that stinker, the scale.

Stick with it! You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    Options
    Again, thank you for all the positive replies. It really did help me.