Anti-Depressants- How I Gained My Weight

Options
167891012»

Replies

• LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well, since it was ALL the medication's fault and had NOTHING to do with what you put in your mouth, then we should give anti-depressants to children in Africa and end world hunger for less than the cost of food!!!!!

WHAT THE ????
    I don't think anyone was saying THIS and this thread is now going way off track!
    We are saying antidepressants can potentially cause weight gain in some people, not that it's a substitute for food and nutrition.
    Where you got this is beyond me, but this is how half-baked truths are born.
    Nobody said it had nothing to do with what you put in your mouth, either. Of course, that is a factor, just like everything else!
    I'm getting tired.

Maybe you misunderstood me. My point is, the anti-depressant in and of itself does not cause weight gain. We are all in control of what we put in our mouths and whether or not we gain weight. Period. Take accountability for your gains. AHcceptance is the first step to losing the weight.

This might be the most asinine thing I've read yet on these boards, and that's saying a lot.

Did you have anything to add other than rushing in on your high horse to tell everyone how low their willpower is to yours? You've obviously never been depressed, never wanted to kill yourself after just having a baby when it should be a happy time in your life, never had anything challenging thrown at you. Your privilege though, doesn't extend to other people.

You should come down off that high horse, the air has more oxygen down here,.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

You are another example of why I'm getting frustrated. You're obviously not reading anyone else's reply. I lead a healthy lifestyle food and exercise and still gained weight and could NEVER lose it. I didn't overeat. I wasn't lazy. This medication made me gain the most weight I've ever weighed. If it was fault of my own, I would admit. Let alone not post on the forum. You all just need to pay attention and read before you open your mouth

I'm not saying it's entirely your fault. Again, you are getting your panties in a bunch. You have to realize that the medication itself cannot directly cause weight gain. You cannot take a pill that will cause you to gain 20lbs. It's obscene to suggest something like this. It's like the people who suggest that they're addicted to food like cocaine and thus cannot prevent binge eating. Honestly, very few people on here understand the science behind the things they discuss.

Let me reiterate for a way that won't offend you: the medication does cause weight gain BUT NOT DIRECTLY. If it was direct then simply taking the pill would result in weight gain regardless of caloric intake yet this is absurd notion. Yes, the pill could decrease your metabolism (I haven't seen evidence that it does but let's say it does). If it does then eating more than you're expending will cause the gain.

And, one more time: healthy lifestyle means jack **** when you're trying to gain or lose weight, so please stop bringing up your "healthy" lifestyle, whatever that means.

Look, I know it's not your fault you gained weight. I'm not trying to suggest that it is.

Google is your friend dear, it's actually been studied and obese people have a much stronger reaction in the brain to even the suggestion of food, than non obese people. JFGI.

Now which comes first the chicken or the egg, no one is really sure. But either obese people have a tendency via neural stimulus to over eat and that is how they become obese, or the current thinking is that the human body is conditioned through millennia of ensuring the survival of the species by making high cal foods taste good in your mouth, so you'll eat them. And that the heavier you get, the more neural stimulus you receive, so it gets harder and harder to break the cycle.

I wish people would stop being so black and white, not everything is black and white, and I'd actually say that most things are a shade of gray.
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Celexa did the exact same thing to me!!! 20lbs in 2 months after being skinny my whole life. I tried coming off and can't, so my doc is switching me to Wellbutrin. Already spent 50 days spinning my wheels with minimal loss, hoping the Wellbutrin helps. :( antidepressants really suck!!!
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    No depression? No opinion.

Love this!
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options

You are another example of why I'm getting frustrated. You're obviously not reading anyone else's reply. I lead a healthy lifestyle food and exercise and still gained weight and could NEVER lose it. I didn't overeat. I wasn't lazy. This medication made me gain the most weight I've ever weighed. If it was fault of my own, I would admit. Let alone not post on the forum. You all just need to pay attention and read before you open your mouth

I'm not saying it's entirely your fault. Again, you are getting your panties in a bunch. You have to realize that the medication itself cannot directly cause weight gain. You cannot take a pill that will cause you to gain 20lbs. It's obscene to suggest something like this. It's like the people who suggest that they're addicted to food like cocaine and thus cannot prevent binge eating. Honestly, very few people on here understand the science behind the things they discuss.

Let me reiterate for a way that won't offend you: the medication does cause weight gain BUT NOT DIRECTLY. If it was direct then simply taking the pill would result in weight gain regardless of caloric intake yet this is absurd notion. Yes, the pill could decrease your metabolism (I haven't seen evidence that it does but let's say it does). If it does then eating more than you're expending will cause the gain.

And, one more time: healthy lifestyle means jack **** when you're trying to gain or lose weight, so please stop bringing up your "healthy" lifestyle, whatever that means.

Look, I know it's not your fault you gained weight. I'm not trying to suggest that it is.

Google is your friend dear, it's actually been studied and obese people have a much stronger reaction in the brain to even the suggestion of food, than non obese people. JFGI.

Now which comes first the chicken or the egg, no one is really sure. But either obese people have a tendency via neural stimulus to over eat and that is how they become obese, or the current thinking is that the human body is conditioned through millennia of ensuring the survival of the species by making high cal foods taste good in your mouth, so you'll eat them. And that the heavier you get, the more neural stimulus you receive, so it gets harder and harder to break the cycle.

I wish people would stop being so black and white, not everything is black and white, and I'd actually say that most things are a shade of gray.

Yes, about 90% of the world is gray, not black and white and I wish more people would understand that too!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    That's bull****. You can lower metabolisms whilst playing around with the hormones in the body.

Let's say that happens, okay? How do you propose that causes weight gain unless a caloric surplus is present? The medication indirectly causes weight gain but, in the end, a caloric surplus (overeating) is the direct cause for the weight gain. I don't understand why that is so complicated to understand. Google is your friend. You can find this stuff out easily.

I wish it were this simple, but sometimes it's NOT!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

YOU are talking in circles!
    First you say it's not directly 'her' fault;
    Then you say it's not the 'pills' fault; (why does it have to be somebody's/somethings fault?? can't it just BE)
    But then you say the "medication does cause weight gain" BUT NOT DIRECTLY (whatever that means!, directly or not, wieght gain is weight gain!"

Then you say the most absurb thing ever: "A healthy lifestyle means jack**** when you're trying to gain or lose wieght" HUH?

Like I said before: I gained wieght on a certain med. I ate the same food. Same amount of food. My daily activity level was the same; yet I gained wieght when I took the meds. I lost weight when I stopped.

I don't know WHY. I don't really care why. But I do know what I experienced.
    I know the medication wasn't a million calories (duh) but I also know that it caused wieght gain somehow.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    That's bull****. You can lower metabolisms whilst playing around with the hormones in the body.

Let's say that happens, okay? How do you propose that causes weight gain unless a caloric surplus is present? The medication indirectly causes weight gain but, in the end, a caloric surplus (overeating) is the direct cause for the weight gain. I don't understand why that is so complicated to understand. Google is your friend. You can find this stuff out easily.

You really don't understand? o_o say that someone is fit and healthy wthout any weight to lose so they are eating maintenance calories. By the metabolism lowering itself if you keep eating at the same rate you will GAIN weight by eating the same amount of calories rather than maintaining. :noway:
  • Rachel2617
    Options
    I am still on my anti depressant, have been for almost a year, in that year I have put on about 25lbs, I work out 3x/wk minium, and eat right. But the weight won't come off, I like what the med does for my mood. But my weight is really getting to me. I have to speak with my doctor. Maybe once I come off of it the weight will come off.
  • Nansweetnan
    Nansweetnan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • Hilpup24
    Hilpup24 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same experience. For all you people that say "pills" cannot make you gain weight, you clearly do NOT HAVE A CLUE about how science, etc works. A pill can DEFINITELY make you gain weight as it alters your body's chemistry, metabolism, etc. Look at steroids (not the body-building kind)- they cause you to retain fluid which makes you gain weight, etc. Just one example.

I have been on an anti-depressant for years and I have to say that over the first 3 years I put on around 40 lbs. I too, work out religiously, eat very well (yes of course I cheat once in a while), and have the HARDEST time losing weight. I am actually seeing an acupuncturist to see if that will help. Don't know if I believe in acupuncture but at this point I am desperate!!!! Her take is that anti-depressants are "cold" and therefore cool the metabolism as well as the kidneys (which affect how you process sugars, etc). Don't know how much I believe her take on it but again, am going to give it a try.

Anyway, just know you are not alone and that at least one person believes and understands what you are going through. Just keep doing what your doing and hopefully those in our position will figure something out some day soon.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I am both relieved and terrified to have come across this thread. I have suspected that my weight gain was related to the Lexapro which I have been on for about a year now.

Guess I'll have to talk to my doctor.
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i was on citrilopram from 6 months and i gained nearly 2 stones although i was eating the same amount as always. thats the thing your depressed anyway and weight gain makes it worse its a crappy situation
  • raverhayley
    raverhayley Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Anti-Depressants, especially SSRIs, do chemically CAUSE weight gain or the inability to lose weight in some patients. They alter your hormones AND your metabolism. Some meds are worse than others. Some will experience this side effect, some will not.

I've been on Sertraline for over a year for PPD/Anxiety. In that time, I have somehow added to the "baby-weight" - instead of losing it. My doctor recently recommended changing from Sertraline to Citalopram. I've been weaning from the Sertraline for a week now. I am undecided as to whether or not I will start the Citalopram right away or wait it out and see if I still need it. (I've been doing some of my own research and I am finding that Citalopram can cause a side-effect of weight gain too.) If my panic attacks and sleep anxiety don't rear back up, I plan to stay off of the meds.

We shall see!
    be warned citalopram made me gain nearly 2 stone (24lbs) when i took it
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    To all out there who are taking antidepressants and feel it's contributed to their weight gain, you should speak to your doctor and ask for a prescription for an antidepressant that is "weight-neutral" (i.e. that will NOT cause weight gain). My Dr is very conscious of not giving me prescriptions that could cause me to gain, and has found an Rx that works for me and has not added to my weight at all.