Raspberry Ketone

Options
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with taking these? Apparently there was a repeat episode of Dr. Oz on TV last week and he said that Raspberry Ketone is the miracle 'diet' pill in a bottle. Now health food stores in Toronto are selling out like crazy of this stuff. I wanted to know any success (or not) stories before I buy them..
Another fad diet like the acai berry?
This was the article in our local paper: http://www.thestar.com/living/health/article/1154437--weight-loss-miracle-supplement-dr-oz-extols-virtues-of-raspberry-ketone

Replies

• dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    I can't find them in stock anywhere! They are completely sold out at every place that sells them around me!
    I'm going to try online. I have heard from a couple people that they do work
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump - I was thinking of trying this supplement in a "what could it hurt" kind of way - anyone have experience with it?
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Never tried them. I looked into it, but I don't feel like putting my body into ketosis. It's funny, my husband is a diabetic and has to be hospitalized when he becomes ketotic (actually was hospitalized a few months ago for it), but for non-diabetics, it's a way to lose weight!
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Never tried them. I looked into it, but I don't feel like putting my body into ketosis. It's funny, my husband is a diabetic and has to be hospitalized when he becomes ketotic (actually was hospitalized a few months ago for it), but for non-diabetics, it's a way to lose weight!

ketones are just the product that is left over from fat metabolism. The raspberry ketones are supposed to speed up your metabolism - make it hotter - I believe, not throw you into ketosis.
  • melissalynn87
    Options
    Well my friend just bought them for me so I will let you all know how it goes.
    I got the 200mg pills and it says to take them twice a day
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    ordered mine online, been taking 3 weeks, zero visible results so far
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The test that showed raspberry ketones did anything went as follows:

1. Mice were force-fed a ridiculously fatty diet.
    2. One group of mice stayed on the fatty diet.
    3. Another group of mice was given raspberry ketones as a huge percentage of their diet (aka more than you'd be getting by taking pills).
    4. Ketone mice gained less weight than fatty diet mice (note the "gained less weight," not "lost weight.")

Conclusion: if you take keytones as a huge percentage of your diet (which you won't be doing, taking a pill), and you are a mouse, you will gain less weight than someone eating a ridiculously fatty diet.

AKA, you will get the same benefit by, I don't know, not eating a ridiculously fatty diet.

TL;DR: Fad diet, there is no magic pill or we'd all be skinny, Dr. Oz is a crook.

Sorry to be blunt. It's been that kind of day!
  • melissalynn87
    Options
    Well they are also good for your hair and skin... hahah so there has to be some benefit
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    why does everyone want a quick fix? haven't we all learned by now that quick fixes are not lasting, whether they 'work' or not??? why not just go with eating right and exercising?
  • RLeighP
    Options

ketones are just the product that is left over from fat metabolism. The raspberry ketones are supposed to speed up your metabolism - make it hotter - I believe, not throw you into ketosis.

From the research I have done, ketosis is the goal. In ketosis your body consumes what it can, be it fat deposits or muscle mass.

And apparently, just eating a strict no/low carb diet will cause ketosis.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Ketosis is not the same as ketoacidosis (which is what your husband experienced).
  • RLeighP
    Options
    Yes, I am aware of that.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    why does everyone want a quick fix? haven't we all learned by now that quick fixes are not lasting, whether they 'work' or not??? why not just go with eating right and exercising?

Right on!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    ygsw.jpg
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Well they are also good for your hair and skin... hahah so there has to be some benefit

Quackery is very profitable. I guess that could be considered a benifit. For the seller anyway.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I saw some at Target last night next to the HCG.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Sorry to break this to you but Dr. Oz just wants your money.

drozquack.png
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ygsw.jpg

LOVE IT!!!!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I love raspberry ketone threads
  • Rbmay
    Rbmay Posts: 4
    Options
    I took them for a month and there was no difference in weight reduction. Dr. Oz is wrong as usual. I stopped watching him long ago because of his misinformation.