Newbie questions

Options
So, I have a couple of questions regarding diet. Firstly, I have heard that it's good to keep a nice variety of food in your diet (this way you can get lots of nutrients and different vitamins/minerals, etc, from all sorts of foods)... while I love keeping things interesting, I also usually don't have time and find myself eating almost the same exact food/meals everyday, lol. I am just curious if this is bad to do, or if it hinders weight loss in any way? I eat a lot of fruits and veggies (vegetarian/vegan here) but usually stick to the same fruits/veggies for 1-2 weeks at a time... is this okay?

Also, does anyone know anything about how eating late at night affects weight loss? I have heard that it can really slow down weight loss if you eat right before bed... and that you should stop eating about 2-3 hours before you sleep. I am a student, though, and even though I try not to, I usually find myself snacking late at night sometimes... sooo haha just curious about this! Thanks all! :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As far as variety of foods is concerned the important thing is that you're getting all of your nutrients, as far as weight loss goes it calories in and calories out - you can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies (not that I'd recommend going that route).

Similarly, it doesn't matter when you eat (some people find eating too close to bed time makes them feel uncomfortable). You'll hear stories about how 6 small meals is better for weight loss than 3 big ones etc etc - no basis in fact; eat when you're hungry.
  • syam3000
    syam3000 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you! Great to know :)
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day and try to mix it up at dinner. Sometimes with our family schedules we don't eat that dinner until 8pm and it seems fine.
  • syam3000
    syam3000 Posts: 37
    Options
    Awesome! That's how I usually am. I just have tea/coffee and fruit/yogurt for breakfast, and then munch on apples and peanut butter at work for "lunch" lol sometimes I bring something extra but that seems to do it. And for dinner I usually mix it up as well.
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I read a study recently that said people who eat similar things everyday on average weigh less than people who eat a wide variety. Keep in mind that every study has to be taken with a grain of salt, however I understand this one. If you have meal plans that always fall in the caloric and nutrient needs of your body and you stick to then then you should be thinner or at least healthier.