The tortoise was on to something...

Options
As a lazy child, I never really paid much attention to the story “The Tortoise and the Hare”. Sure, I saw it reenacted by Looney Toons a bunch of times, but the message it was sending never really stuck…until last night when I finally has my first, real non-scale victory:

For the first time in my LIFE, I ran an entire mile without stopping! I was slow, and perhaps a little pathetic-looking, but I did it!!! After two months of educating myself on proper nutrition and running techniques, I let my husband run ahead on our nightly run while I slowly trotted along behind him. I kept a constant pace of 5:03 (12 min. mile) and just ran without stopping once. This is quite a feat considering I was running 15+ minute miles in high school. My lungs didn’t hurt nearly as bad and my heart didn’t feel like it was going to pop out of my chest. It felt amazing!!! I honestly can’t wait to run again tonight and I can finally consider myself a runner!!! :happy:

I may not be a professional, but I wanted to tell all those people who think they can't do it and it's too hard: just slow down! After last night, I know what the human body is capable of and it's an awesome thing!!!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady might not win the race but it crosses the finish line!

Congrats on your mile! The really good news is that it's your slow runs that really help build endurance, keep up the good work.
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I don't know how you do it. I ran today for like 5 minutes, and I felt so bad and icky afterwards..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I don't know how you do it. I ran today for like 5 minutes, and I felt so bad and icky afterwards..

You're probably trying to run too fast.

If you're brand new to running try something like walk for 10 minutes then run easy for 1 minute & repeat a couple of times. As you become more comfortable with running make it 2 minutes running & 9 minutes walking; gradually work it until you're running 10 minutes and walking 1. Take your time getting there, listen to your body and try to keep your running speed at an intensity where you could carry on a conversation.
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Brian: Thanks for the encouragement!

brandilyn: I was exactly like you were. I couldn't even run 1/4 mile without walking once and feeling like I was going to pass out. But as I stated above: slow down! It's not a race. You're running to better yourself, not to beat someone. I may never be the fastest, but at least my endurance will increase. My goal is to run in a 5k this year. I probably won't finish first, but I'll still be a winner because I finished!