I just had diet coke for the first time in two years...

Options
And it gave me an almost instantaneous headache. It definitely wasn't the caffeine as I'm a coffee lover--I think it was just the aspartame, my body hasn't had it in a while and reacted violently. I also have a bit of an unhappy stomach currently.

It's interesting how our bodies get "used" to certain things--I used to drink one to two cans of diet soda a day, no problem. This gives me hope that my body can also learn to adjust to life with less junk food. (Although I don't intend on cutting my favorite things out entirely like I did diet soda.) It's just nice to think that maybe in a few years more than a handful Doritos will start to make me feel slightly ill, instead of how it is right now, where I can easily eat half a bag in one sitting and then go back for more.

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It really is the truth... I know people around here get fired up when you even hint at the suggestion of the notion of the idea of slightly decreasing their soda/doritos/mcd's consumption... But I experienced the same thing as you. After eating lots of this kind of food for years I completely stopped craving it when I eliminated it from my diet 99.9%. Coke and Diet Coke taste disgusting to me. I hated feeling controlled by junk food cravings and the only way I got control back was to get rid of the junk.

I am envious of anyone who can still eat their doritos on a daily basis because I used to love them. For me personally, it couldn't work that way.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    SO CRAZY that you posted this because i was just talking to my B/F about this last night..... I have never been a huge soda drinker, but i would have one a couple times a week if it was the only convenient drink around. I have primarily been drinking water and tea since october, and the other night at work i thought:" Why not a diet coke?".....1/4 of the can into it i realized why.... It felt like fumes were coming up out of my stomach! i couldn't stop fume breathing for a good hour after, and my stomach got very gassy. Chemistry class in my stomach!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yep. If I have an onion ring my stomach goes nuts, bloating, indigestion,di....
    Its basically a pepto bismal commercial.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will take you a few years. Don't get me wrong. I still eat junk food. But I have noticed that if/when I do, it usually makes me feel bad and it's like, "why the heck did I eat that?" I didn't get anything out of it.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    SO CRAZY that you posted this because i was just talking to my B/F about this last night..... I have never been a huge soda drinker, but i would have one a couple times a week if it was the only convenient drink around. I have primarily been drinking water and tea since october, and the other night at work i thought:" Why not a diet coke?".....1/4 of the can into it i realized why.... It felt like fumes were coming up out of my stomach! i couldn't stop fume breathing for a good hour after, and my stomach got very gassy. Chemistry class in my stomach!

Exactly! That's the crazy thing, too, is I probably drank 1/4 of a can before I felt sick. Fumes is a good way to describe it.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It really is the truth... I know people around here get fired up when you even hint at the suggestion of the notion of the idea of slightly decreasing their soda/doritos/mcd's consumption... But I experienced the same thing as you. After eating lots of this kind of food for years I completely stopped craving it when I eliminated it from my diet 99.9%. Coke and Diet Coke taste disgusting to me. I hated feeling controlled by junk food cravings and the only way I got control back was to get rid of the junk.

I am envious of anyone who can still eat their doritos on a daily basis because I used to love them. For me personally, it couldn't work that way.

Feeling controlled by any food is a terrible feeling. You made me realize that the one good thing to come out of it is that I was like "suck it, DC, I'm so OVER you!" instead of "oh sweet sweet aspartame I have missed you so." Like seeing an ex boyfriend and being totally bored and repelled by him. I don't know what I ever saw in DC.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Like seeing an ex boyfriend and being totally bored and repelled by him. I don't know what I ever saw in DC.

perfect example