Why am I so exhausted???

Options
I have been working out for 3 weeks now and I still feel exhausted? I told my doctor I was tired all the time and had no desire to do anything. He advised me to start exercising. Well, I have been and am still tired! I only do my workouts at night because when I tried it during the day I was completely exhausted. I sleep so soundly after my workouts. I dont know what I am doing wrong, but would really like to have energy during the day! Someone Please HELP!!!

Replies

• brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't even know. It happened to me too for the first week and I'd take a nap after I workout. But this week I've just been dealing with it and it's slowly going away. So, yeah. I'm not much help.
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    are you anemic? Your iron may be running low which can lead to you being tired and or cold often.... Just a thought. I have that issue. Eat high iron foods or take a iron supplement. Good luck!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Demand to have your Vitamin D level checked. It's the next national epidemic in the making.

(Lab Tech, 28 years)
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It could be what you're eating. Exercising coupled with a poor diet could really run your body into the ground. When I ate bad, I had no desire to do anything at all, except sit, and exercising didn't make me feel any better.

I've been eating more fruits and veggies, trying to get away from processed food as much as possible, no more fast food, and I feel much better.

Try eating more fruits? They boost my energy a ton.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, went to the doctors, they did some simple blood tests and now I'm taking Vitamin D, Iron, Biotin and Calcium! What a difference vitamins make...so go to the docs and see if they can test your levels....Vitamin D mostly.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I complained about chronic (years long) to the right doctor finally. She found that I am severly lacking in many major vitamins. I take B6,B12, D3, a multivitamin and Iron. After only a week I noticed a serious difference! Most women, in particular, are iron deficient. It's definatley worth looking into.
  • kcash9
    kcash9 Posts: 15
    Options
    I would love to go to the doctor and get tested for my levels, but I dont have the money. I could probably just start taking multi vitamins though. Thanks for all the info!!! I appreciate it.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Lots of dark green veggies!! Spinach, kale. These have the nutriants to help with the energy level.
  • kcash9
    Options
    any suggestions on which vitamins i should take to improve my energy???
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D and B12 give you energy.

Also make sure you are getting enough protein and fat each day.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

If you choose Vitamin D....please choose the powder you mix with liquid.
    Protien within 30 min of workout, combined with some real sugar about 100 calories.

Try this b4 spending money on vitamins that DO NOT ABSORB!

I checked out your Diary.....You are not feeding your body the fuel it needs. Rethink your meals if possible, I know its hard.
  • bebeguns
    bebeguns Posts: 2
    Options
    Try vitamin D, and take it with food with some amount of fat in it. I became vitamin D deficient after I had my gallbladder removed (no gallbladder means no bile receptacle, which means you absorb less of the vitamin D that you consume), and I started taking 2000 iu of D3 at the recomendation of my PA and I have so much more energy now.

Honestly, it's probably a good idea to get a blood panel and find out where your levels of vitamins/minerals are at and go from there. Taking water-soluble vitamins in excess amounts is a waste of money and can be hard on your kidneys, some fat soluble vitamins can be toxic is large amounts and supplements aren't all that bioavailable anyway. The general concensus that I've heard from my doctor, his PA and my nutrition professor (who has a PhD in nutrition) is that if you are consuming adequate amounts of food, and the right foods, you should only supplement what you're still deficient in.
  • kcash9
    Options

Protien within 30 min of workout, combined with some real sugar about 100 calories.

I checked out your Diary.....You are not feeding your body the fuel it needs. Rethink your meals if possible, I know its hard.

What kind of Vitamin D powder should I buy? And where can I buy it at? Is there anything other than supplements that I can take for B12?
  • kcash9
    Options

also its so hard to find foods that are low in calories that I can eat that will fuel my body. Im only supposed to consume 1200 calories a day according to MFP. DO you have any ideas on what I could eat for lunch and breakfast that will fill me up plus give me the fuel?
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    You don't look like someone who needs to be on a 1200/day diet. I'd bump that up to 1500 and change your carb/protein/fat ratios to 40/30/30% and especially focus on getting plenty of protein. The vitamin supplement is a good idea. Vitamin B is usually associated with energy levels so especially focus on making sure you get that one.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your food diary doesn't have too much data in it but you could lose the toaster strudel and mountain dew - calorie dense, simple carbs - and go for more fruits.

Make sure you're eating back your exercise calories (I'm with hiker282 - I think a net of 1200 may be too low to begin with.....)

If you haven't already calculate your BMR (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) and TDEE (there's a link on that site) based on your activity level. You may be surprised.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B can be found in a lot of beverages and energy bars as well as protein powders. The pills work just fine for me though.

My thing is, you might feel like you sleep soundly after a workout but studies show it's not the best idea to work out right before bed so make sure you aren't like, running treadmill in your PJs. give yourself an hour to relax before bed.

Make sure you start with a hearty breakfast. Include Bs and C in that breakfast. Vitamin C will boost your energy and your mood. As for the fatigue, if you are fatigued due to a sedentary lifestyle, you may need 6+ weeks of a routine before you stop feeling exhausted. I'd just make sure that you are actually sleepy and not just experiencing natural muscle energy depletion.
  • Gr8yassir
    Options
    B vitamins are for all time found in natural foods. These useful vitamins you can find in vegetables and eggs. .
  • kcash9
    Options
    Your food diary doesn't have too much data in it but you could lose the toaster strudel and mountain dew - calorie dense, simple carbs - and go for more fruits.

Make sure you're eating back your exercise calories (I'm with hiker282 - I think a net of 1200 may be too low to begin with.....)

If you haven't already calculate your BMR (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) and TDEE (there's a link on that site) based on your activity level. You may be surprised.

I want to thank you for the website you provided. I found that I wasnt consuming enough calories a day also. I didnt pick the 1200 calories, MFP did which I thought was too low at first too. I should be consuming 1500-1600 calories a day in order to lose weight. I dont want to lose too much though, Im actually just looking to lose about 10-15 lbs and tone my body. Again thank you so much!