Has anybody ever...

Options
Has anybody ever worn their HRM all day, just to see how many calories they're burning while doing regular activities, like walking around stores or whatever? I'm under the impression you only wear your HRM during your "actual exercise", like running, jogging, biking... etc. But I'm just a silly curious person and wonders what I'd "burn" by doing my normal routine every day (minus the gym).

Replies

• bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have been VERY tempted to - but get irritated at the feeling of it digging into my flab when I'm sitting down!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't really designed for measuring in that way. They are optimized to most accurately estimate calories burned when your heart rate is at elevated levels. You will get a burn reading at the end of the day, but it's very likely going to be incorrect. Also, you'd have to be constantly interrupting the signal throughout the day to wet the chest strap to ensure that it was catching your heart rate properly.

If you're truly curious about your daily burn the you'll want to look into something like a Fitbit or BodyMedia Fit, which are designed to do exactly that.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I had a pedometer (before I broke it), I wore it all day, every day, to see how many steps I was taking each day. My goal was 10,000 steps a day so keeping track of my steps all day encouraged me to start taking walks on my lunch breaks, take longer walks with my dogs, etc. It wasn't the only "exercise" I did but even little things, like taking 10,000 steps a day, can add up over time.