Social Butterfly

Options
I might have a problem....
I live in Washington, DC, where a lot of my networking involves lunches and dinners (last week I ate out everynight!)
Does anyone have any inspirational thoughts on how I can stop eating the bad stuff and focus on eating right, without eating salads (if I eat another salad...Ü).
Please HELP!!!

Replies

• moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    I might have a problem....
    I live in Washington, DC, where a lot of my networking involves lunches and dinners (last week I ate out everynight!)
    Does anyone have any inspirational thoughts on how I can stop eating the bad stuff and focus on eating right, without eating salads (if I eat another salad...Ü).
    Please HELP!!!
  • mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I go out a lot more than I wish I did with friends for lunch also. I use Calorie King to check out the nutritional info before arriving to the restaurant of choice and try to find something. If it is a surprise, and I arrive without a plan, I try to make a good decision, but I always only eat half (order something that you can take home as take out that is easy to re heat) I usually end up throwing it away, but it is nice to leave the restaurant feeling like I won!
    I have been doing this since Christmas and have seen a dramatic weight loss. I also carry a calorie counter book with me that contains more of the popular restaurants nutritional info.

Good Luck!
    Melissa
  • CamCam
    CamCam Posts: 43
    Options
    Maybe you can get brown rice instead of white. I heard that cutting down on ur meat intake does help with the dieting. get fruit salad instead of regular salad.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I eat out almost every day for lunch. I NEVER go for fast food. It's just impossible. and there are a few restaurants that I avoid because they don't offer any healthy choices on their menu's. I ask them not to bring any bread, peanuts, or chips to the table (depending on what they serve as before's) . I don't ever order potatos or rice. I usually order a broiled/grilled fish or chicken and substitute veggies for the rice or potatos. I have beef occasionally if they offer a lean choice. If I have a salad I make sure that they don't put cheese or bacon on it and then go for a low fat dressing (or balsamic) on the side, so I can control the portion size. Also, most places I go to offer lunch or light portions which are much smaller than the normal dinner portions. Oh, and no matter how badly I want a diet soda or other calorie beverage I opt to save the calories and the money and order water.

I actually find that I eat just as healthily, if not more so, than when I stay home. It's also nice becasue it breaks up the day and helps me to alleviate the stress from the job. I find that if I eat at my desk I make poor choices or don't realize how much I'm eating.
  • elsgans
    Options
    Eat a small healthy snack before you go out, keep some snacks at work, in your car for emergencies. Eat smaller portions at the restuarant, ask your server if you can have a healthy appetizer for your meal instead of a meal. If you order a meal have the server put half of it in a to go container when the meal arrives at the table. Drink Soda water with lemon instead of alochol. Get broth soup instead of cream soups, tell the server no cheese and sauces and dressings on the side.

Hope this helps
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    If you are eating out...Know the key menu words. Here is a copy of a post I put in Dec. It helped me a lot. Good luck to you.

Sat 11/24/07 07:08 PMThey are small words. They can be easy to miss. They slip off your tongue as you order your food, without even knowing what you are saying. Yet they mean the difference between a healthy or unhealthy meal. What are these unassuming potential land mines? "Menu Watch Words" -- and it pays to keep your eye on them.

Going out to eat is a lot of fun. You’re having a good time and you might not always think about what’s best for you. You can avoid the next morning "why did I eat that" hangover by planting a few gentle reminders, well-placed whispers in your ear.

Did you know that consultants travel the country helping restaurants say just the right things on their food menus? Unless you ask the server about the preparation of each item, it’s hard to know for sure what’s really healthy and unhealthy. For example, the word "breaded" can add five times as much fat to your meal as the word "grilled." You can fight back by translating the consultants’ wordcrafting into something useful.

Not all "Menu Watch Words" are bad. When you go out to eat, just go prepared. Know which words to look for and which to avoid. Below is a quick hit list of Green Flag "Safe" and Red Flag "Warning!" food options
    The watch words below are a guide. Still, food items can be very healthy or unhealthy regardless of the use of any of these words. For example, "fat free" food is often packed with sugar and calories to get it to taste better. There are times when these words are used to mislead you (which is why we call them "watch words" and not guarantees). So use this along with your good judgment to steer clear of the bad stuff. More often than not, you’ll end up making a smart decision.

Good luck and keep your eyes open.

GREEN FLAG
    (Potentially Good for You)
    Baked
    Boiled
    Broiled
    Fat free
    Fresh
    Grilled
    High Fiber
    Light
    Marinated
    Multi-grain
    Poached
    Red sauce
    Reduced
    Roasted
    Seasoned
    Steamed
    Stir-Fried
    Vegetarian
    Vinaigrette
    Whole Wheat

RED FLAG
    (Probably Bad for You)
    Au gratin
    Basted
    Battered
    Bearnaise (or hollandaise)
    "Bet you can't finish it"
    Bottomless
    Braised
    Breaded
    Buttery / Buttered
    Casserole
    Cheesy
    Country-style
    Covered
    Creamed / Creamy
    Crispy
    Crunchy
    Escalloped
    Fried / Deep fried
    Giant
    Loaded
    Platter
    Smothered
    Stewed
    Stroganoff
    Stuffed
    Value
    Volcano
    White Sauce
  • healthychic
    Options
    When you go out, try to order grilled chicken, salmon, or you can always try grilled chicken salads, those are good too. Or is you are sick and tired of salads, maybe spice it up by trying a salad with yummy rasberry vinagrette dressing. Its lower calories than ranch and italian dressing and all the others. Hmm, what else? Some restraunts have "healthy choice" sections, or "weight watchers", you could look in those also. Really I would aim for Chicken, you can't really go wrong with grilled chicken, if you like to eat it. Salmon is also realllllly good for you, and low fat.

hope I helped a little,

love, Danielle