Are you able to save calories for another day?????

Options
2»

Replies

• DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Yes!

I incorporate weekly bonus calories as well as activity calories. Same basic idea as weight watchers. I weigh in every Thursday and that's when the week starts over.
  • Thesarahmonster
    Thesarahmonster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind people, time is not a biological concept in the linear sense. It's man made. it's not like your body knows what 10pm is. That is why when you hear people say "Don't eat after 7pm." I always ask, how does my body know what 7pm is? It's a made up concept, like the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, Bigfoot, and religion.

Haha, fantastic.

I always wondered the same thing. I don't have a "normal" schedule so 7pm for someone else is like 12am for me. It made things a little wonky and decided to try and not worry to much about it and just watch what I eat over all.

This is good information to have though, I'm glad I read this, now I don't feel so bad when I go a little over on somedays! As long as I make up for it later...or before hand!
  • patticarbjunkie
    patticarbjunkie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone.... I guess I can bring over a few calories to enjoy a little something extra!!
  • patticarbjunkie
    patticarbjunkie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I save my extra calories for booze on the weekend. By booze, I mean a couple of beers or a bottle of wine at dinner.

Glad I am not the only one:drinker:
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

But, if you have a calorie deficit of 500 calories every day for a week, you are going to lose a pound.

That's not necessarily true. If that deficit comes from BODY FAT then yes, but it doesn't always come from fat. People think that because you're in a caloric deficit you're gonna burn fat, but in the presence of insulin the body will burn stored glycogen because it cannot burn fat. So say you eat three meals a day and all have carbohydrates. If you're insulin sensitivity sucks, you're dealing with excessive amounts to deal with certain amounts of sugar. If you hit your "deficit" before the insulin is cleared from tissues or the bloodstream, your body can't tap fat stores to make up the deficit... Period.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options

But, if you have a calorie deficit of 500 calories every day for a week, you are going to lose a pound.

That's not necessarily true. If that deficit comes from BODY FAT then yes, but it doesn't always come from fat. People think that because you're in a caloric deficit you're gonna burn fat, but in the presence of insulin the body will burn stored glycogen because it cannot burn fat. So say you eat three meals a day and all have carbohydrates. If you're insulin sensitivity sucks, you're dealing with excessive amounts to deal with certain amounts of sugar. If you hit your "deficit" before the insulin is cleared from tissues or the bloodstream, your body can't tap fat stores to make up the deficit... Period.

It seems that changing you macro percentages doesn't matter much. Check this out. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748
  • Deathangl13
    Deathangl13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It seems that changing you macro percentages doesn't matter much. Check this out. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748

I've read that study before. We know that reducing calories results in weight loss, that's old news. What I'm speaking of is FAT loss. I can sit in a sauna and lose 11 pounds. I've done it. I don't care about weight loss. What I was saying is that if you have excessive insulin levels, for prolonged periods of time, even in a calorie deficit, you will make up the deficit by burning energy stores, you just won't be burning fat stores. Of course you will eventually, once insulin levels drop... but people eat entirely too often for that to happen efficiently. Even if you just look at weight loss by itself, in the following study, all diets compared had similar caloric deficits - guess which diet was most effective? Yep... hands down. My point is this - people who believe calories are the only thing that matter for body composition and fat loss, seem to have the most difficult time believing it.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681