Ideas re night eating

Options
I need advice re (medication induced) night eating. If one cannot avoid eating during the night and is overwhelmed by uncontrollable hunger, what food options are there to make the night eating as harmless as possible. Veggies don't help (not enough, not filling, don't satisfy the hunger). So far we have tried with lean meat and yoghurt but the weight gain is considerable nontheless.

We are talking about a person with considerable health issues and heavy medication that induce hunger like no other, so please be gentle and please understand that "stay strong and resist the urge to eat" kind of suggestions are not helpful in this situation.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    Save the bulk of their calories for later in the day, and make sure there is a large proportion of protein in that meal. That's what I do.

My late afternoon meal is my biggest, usually more than 1000 calories at around 4 PM, and that has stopped my previous uncontrolled evening eating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a glass of almond milk first. Even the regular sweetened kind is only about 60 calories per cup. That will fill your tummy. Then maybe eat some cooked veggies (much more satisfying then raw IMO) with just a little reduced fat cheese. The veggies will provide the bulk without too many calories and the bit of cheese will make it taste like comfort food.
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    pretzels and a glass of water? Thats how I keep myself from attacking the vending machine at work daily.
  • plinke
    plinke Posts: 9
    Options
    I would try oatmeal with some berries or other kind of fruit. It stays with you for a long time and is quite filling.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Saving the bulck of calories is what they do at the moment but seems that it is still not enough, I think the medication itself is causing the metabolism to change in some way. But that is a great suggestion!

Never tried almond milk, will try to find some, hope they like it!

Pretzels might not be enough I am afraid :( It is more a snack food and not filling enough :(

We tried with veggies, cooked, fresh... they just don't work :(

Oatmeal! Yes that is filling, will try that too!

I am looking for something very filling but not high on carbs and calories. I guess protein and lots of fiber is the way forward...

Thank you all for the great suggestions!
  • Cindygutie
    Cindygutie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have you tried overnight oats? Well you can make them during the day too. Just put all these ingredients in a jar and let it sit, Very filling, and not too bad for you. You can choose your ingredient quantities of course. thre are different variations with cocoa powder and different fruits.

In jar mix together

1/3 cup Oats
    1/3 cup vanilla almond milk
    1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 tbsp. chia seeds
    1/2 sliced banana
    a few shakes of cinnamon

Source: http://www.healthyhitsthespot.com/2012/02/28/overnight-oiaj-oats-in-a-jar/
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Do you know if it is brain hunger (feeling the need to put something in your mouth) or is it stomach hunger (where you actually have not eaten enough and your stomach is growling)?

If you're looking for a way to satisfy the FEELING of needing to eat without increasing calories by much, I would suggest you snack on something that is low calorie but hard to eat a lot of in one sitting. I really like "just veggies" (dried corn, peas, carrots, bell peppers), plain popcorn, and freeze-dried berries
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. The only way I have been able to get around it is to, keep yourself busy and distracted, also try to like the feeling of being hungry. I know it sounds stupid but I just don't think there is anything you can eat that will satisfy you. I have tried so many things. Now I just save most of my calories for the end of the day. Eat when I am supposed to and then I just distract myself with a book, guided meditations cd, internet, movie anything really. Then when I notice I am hungry I try to say to myself that this is good and i am right on track with how I should feel. Even if your body tells you it's hungry you know if you just ate then you aren't really hungry, so it's not like you are starving yourself.
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Have you tried overnight oats? Well you can make them during the day too. Just put all these ingredients in a jar and let it sit, Very filling, and not too bad for you. You can choose your ingredient quantities of course. thre are different variations with cocoa powder and different fruits.

In jar mix together

1/3 cup Oats
    1/3 cup vanilla almond milk
    1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 tbsp. chia seeds
    1/2 sliced banana
    a few shakes of cinnamon

Source: http://www.healthyhitsthespot.com/2012/02/28/overnight-oiaj-oats-in-a-jar/

Love this recipe, thank you! Will try it tomorrow!
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Do you know if it is brain hunger (feeling the need to put something in your mouth) or is it stomach hunger (where you actually have not eaten enough and your stomach is growling)?

If you're looking for a way to satisfy the FEELING of needing to eat without increasing calories by much, I would suggest you snack on something that is low calorie but hard to eat a lot of in one sitting. I really like "just veggies" (dried corn, peas, carrots, bell peppers), plain popcorn, and freeze-dried berries

That is a very good point. I have to ask (I am not talking about myself here but a loved one) but I think it has to be "brain hunger". Unfortunately the medication they are taking is well known for causing massive weight gain and even diabetes :( The problem is they cannot fall asleep (or occupy themselves, keep busy) in the night unless they eat. They would even get up and search for food in a semi-asleep state after taking their sleep medication which supposedly should knock them out for the night. :( I am at a loss of how to help them :(
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A couple of eggs, with sautéed tomatoes maybe a dab of cottage cheese. 2 cups of citrus based herb tea. Or, miso soup with mushrooms, several small shrimp, radishes and greens. Or, nuke a sweet potato in the microwave with cinnamon. Another possibility: popcorn. I like miso soup because it is spartan, low calories but somehow takes the edge off. Miso is ridiculously easy to prepare: put in the miso, throw in frozen cocktail shrimp, some spinach and sliced mushrooms, bring to boil. Eggs & tomatoes low calorie but protein dense. Sweet potato and popcorn=bulk and fiber but fairly low calories for as filling as they are. Herb teas also seem to be a soothing late at nite and NO calories.
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    A couple of eggs, with sautéed tomatoes maybe a dab of cottage cheese. 2 cups of citrus based herb tea. Or, miso soup with mushrooms, several small shrimp, radishes and greens. Or, nuke a sweet potato in the microwave with cinnamon. Another possibility: popcorn. I like miso soup because it is spartan, low calories but somehow takes the edge off. Miso is ridiculously easy to prepare: put in the miso, throw in frozen cocktail shrimp, some spinach and sliced mushrooms, bring to boil. Eggs & tomatoes low calorie but protein dense. Sweet potato and popcorn=bulk and fiber but fairly low calories for as filling as they are. Herb teas also seem to be a soothing late at nite and NO calories.

Thank you!!! Will try to make these for them in the course of next week and see what works! Sweet potato! Should have thought about it before - they love them!
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry at night I'll eat some yogurt (my favorite is the Dannon Light and Fit, because it taste SO good) and some strawberries mixed in, or I'll have some Special K cereal. I also like to snack on bread and peanut butter if you have the calories available (as peanut butter tends to be high in fat, oils, calories).
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    How about oatmeal? Lower calories, lots of fiber and the fact that it is hot may help satisfy the urge. You may be able to get away with just a 100 or so calories.