Hellllllppp!

Options
I've been doing MFP for almost 6 weeks, I must say I'm so glad it's working out for me. I've changed a lot of the things I eat everyday ( I did eat tacos for lunch) But I dont eat fast food 1-2 times a day. I now eat more vegetables, and for the first time in years I feel better about myself. However...... I'm wondering why I dont notice some changes.... I guess it's hard to explain... I notice my pants are big and I've gone down on my belt size.... I see the scale reads a lower number, but I dont see physical changes in my body other than my boobs shrinking of course! .... Is this because I've always been so heavy that unless it's a huuuuge difference I wont notice it? My older sister decided to lose weight about 10 years ago when she was my age and she became literally obsessed with it. She lost 120 lbs but got to a point that she looked tooo thin.She lost a lot of weight so fast she had just excess skin hanging...She obsessed with always working out and only eating certain foods daily....I dont want to do the same... I've noticed I get really frustrated when I dont make it to the gym for a day... I try to go 6 days a week, but between working 2 jobs and having a very active 9 yr old at home some days can be difficult with my boyfriend working nights and sleeping in the afternoon.... I usually do about an hour of cardio and then do the 30 minute circuit training.... Is this too much? I dont want my body to adjust to it and get to a point that I need to spend 5 hours a day at the gym- I dont have that kind of time. Am I over reacting? Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great. If your pants are getting looser and the scale is going down there are changes. I'll bet others notice them even if you don't yet acknowledge them.

Your exercise sounds fine to me. 1.5 hours of exercise should be plenty for anyone, but if you think your body is getting used to it just up the intensity instead of the length. Up the resistance or incline or speed or whatever is appropriate.

You didn't gain weight over night so don't expect it all to come off quickly. You are doing great!!
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great. If your pants are getting looser and the scale is going down there are changes. I'll bet others notice them even if you don't yet acknowledge them.

Your exercise sounds fine to me. 1.5 hours of exercise should be plenty for anyone, but if you think your body is getting used to it just up the intensity instead of the length. Up the resistance or incline or speed or whatever is appropriate.

You didn't gain weight over night so don't expect it all to come off quickly. You are doing great!!

Thank you! I appreciate that!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    In times when I have lost a significant amount of weight I have noticed that I don't see it in the mirror. Instead, I look at other people and think that they look heavier. Its a strange phenomenon. Maybe this is what is happening with you.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    In times when I have lost a significant amount of weight I have noticed that I don't see it in the mirror. Instead, I look at other people and think that they look heavier. Its a strange phenomenon. Maybe this is what is happening with you.

It's weird that you say that because I am experiencing the same thing. It's very hard to notice changes within yourself. To the OP, keep it up. Slow and steady wins the race. You will get there!
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    We are always harder on ourselves. I lost 20lbs last year before joining myfitnesspal. That plus the weight I have lost on it, and I still can not see the difference looking in the mirror. Like you, I have went down almost 2 belt holes and my clothes seem to fit a little looser, or not stretched out as much. But my friends have noticed and told me. So don't get discouraged, and stay strong. Remember you see yourself all the time so you don't notice the little changes.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    6 days a week is a lot for a normal person to do. If you're doing 3-4 effective days, you could still see great results.

Why not take an extra day off and incorporate a workout at home with your child (and/or bf)? Some sport, activity, or walk, run in the park, etc. That'd free up some 'workout time', and bring your familiy closer together and be a little less stressful in general.

Harder isn't always better than smarter.

I'd rather add 'cardio' into my regular life then make it a chore by going to the gym. At least you'll have more fun doing it, more of a family and social life.

Just a different perspective, since you're seemingly strapped for time.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I think your getting over anxious. 6 days a week seems a lot though. I think 5 is enough, maybe your getting tired and its making you think a little irrationally. I say that because it happens to me if I get too tired! Take a rest day! If you loose weight at a steady pace you shouldn't get half as much excess weight. 2lbs is ideal per week. You'll be fine! If your body gets used to it you change your routine, you don't need to make it longer! 1.5hrs is more than enough, maybe a little too much! X
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've had more people tell me they see a difference. I know I've lost some weight (23 lbs) and things are fitting better, and I've got more energy so I know SOMETHING is happening, but the fat girl in me still sees the "fat" me. I'm enjoying the changes, but frankly I don't see them when I look in a mirror. I'd probably be a good case study for some shrink..... :blushing:
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing a great job! No, your workout is not to much. I think it's just right.

Nobody has noticed my weight lose yet but it is because I am still wearing the same clothes. That might be why you don't see a change yet.

I would also be keeping track of your measurements because that will really tell you your progress. i did this and really recently realized how my body has changed.

Feel free to add me if you want some support :flowerforyou:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options
    I've lost 19 pounds since Feb when I finally got off my {Censored} and got going on this thing. I still have my gut and it looks just as big, but the wife says it a lot softer and the back of my pants are baggy now. So even if you don't see it, it is happening. Great Job! Keep it going!!
  • Missi3601
    Options
    6 days a week is a lot for a normal person to do. If you're doing 3-4 effective days, you could still see great results.

Why not take an extra day off and incorporate a workout at home with your child (and/or bf)? Some sport, activity, or walk, run in the park, etc. That'd free up some 'workout time', and bring your familiy closer together and be a little less stressful in general.

Harder isn't always better than smarter.

I'd rather add 'cardio' into my regular life then make it a chore by going to the gym. At least you'll have more fun doing it, more of a family and social life.

Just a different perspective, since you're seemingly strapped for time.

I usually tend to de-stress at the gym (if that makes sense) I forgot to mention I play 4 softball games per week (2 days double headers) so I do get my share of cardio outside of the gym including with the b/f... I've never considered myself normal LOL I figure if I was to be at home I would find ways to feed my face, so I guess going to the gym keeps me focused.... But I like your ideas :)
  • Missi3601
    Options
    I've had more people tell me they see a difference. I know I've lost some weight (23 lbs) and things are fitting better, and I've got more energy so I know SOMETHING is happening, but the fat girl in me still sees the "fat" me. I'm enjoying the changes, but frankly I don't see them when I look in a mirror. I'd probably be a good case study for some shrink..... :blushing:

I'm right there with ya! Everyone at work tells me how flat my stomach is looking and my neck and cheeks are thinning out, but i guess i just havent seen the same they have yet...
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have lost 44 pounds in the last seven months. My friends and family see it. When I look in the mirror, I don't. I think it is because we are very attached to our own perceptions of ourselves, both the good and the bad. I'm not even sure whether I'm actually even HEAVIER than I notice in the mirror because I've been attached to a too positive image for years, or if I'm better than I see and attached to a negative self image.
    I don't mention trying to lose weight until someone mentions they notice I lost, so the 44 pounds must be showing. I have too many pounds to lose to worry about my mind catching up. My mind will. Perhaps that is what plateaus are for...
    My only suggestion is not to worry about what you see, but how you feel, (and take measurements, weigh weekly) and BELIEVE people when they compliment you. Say "thank you" and BELIEVE that they see what you aren't ready to yet.
  • Missi3601
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing a great job! No, your workout is not to much. I think it's just right.

Nobody has noticed my weight lose yet but it is because I am still wearing the same clothes. That might be why you don't see a change yet.

I would also be keeping track of your measurements because that will really tell you your progress. i did this and really recently realized how my body has changed.

Feel free to add me if you want some support :flowerforyou:

Maybe that is it.... I havent bought anything new yet except for one shirt.... And I was amazed it was only a 1X... I'm used to 3X shirts.... Hell some of my T-shirts are still 4 & 5XL.... You are a genious!

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    I hear ya hunne! I have been on here 5 weeks and one day and I am noticing looser cloths and people are noticing but the body shape...Listen hunne...it takes a while to tighten back up...and the older we get the harder too. But hang in there, this is so worth it...YOU ARE SO WORTH IT> Be patient with yourself and please ....PLEASE...by all means...try being your own Best Friend instead of your own worst enemy~! Be kind and gentle to yourself. One Day At A Time...You didn't pack the pounds on overnight (although it really does seem that way!), so those pounds won't come off overnight either~

Blessings and Peace hun!

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people don't really "see" a difference. It's hard to notice something when you look at it every day, live with it every moment.

A before and "after" picture might really help you see a difference. Take a picture of your body now, then wait maybe a month and see if you notice the chances! I bet you will, especially if you continue to eat well and exercise!
  • Missi3601
    Options
    thats a plan! thanks!

I think a lot of people don't really "see" a difference. It's hard to notice something when you look at it every day, live with it every moment.

A before and "after" picture might really help you see a difference. Take a picture of your body now, then wait maybe a month and see if you notice the chances! I bet you will, especially if you continue to eat well and exercise!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Don't stress. If you are eating the proper foods in the proper portions, eating your caloires and exercising (cardio & strength training), you should be just fine. I cannot tell you how important strength training is! If you do weights, you will notice those changes more and more.

Keep it up. You'll get it done!
  • Missi3601
    Options
    Don't stress. If you are eating the proper foods in the proper portions, eating your caloires and exercising (cardio & strength training), you should be just fine. I cannot tell you how important strength training is! If you do weights, you will notice those changes more and more.

Keep it up. You'll get it done!

thanks!!!
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say that I have lost 88 pounds so far and I have plenty of days when I still feel like I look like I did 88 pounds ago. Take Body Shots of your body in the Mirror once a Month. It's the only way you will be able to see what others can see. It was a suggestion from one of my friends who also is losing weight. And Make sure you do measurements too. You're doing great. Try to keep your body guessing so you don't get used to the cardio. I mix up my cardio every day when I can. I try not to do the same thing 2 days in a row. One day I run, the next day I do the Stepmill, the day after that the eliptical, one day I swim laps, etc. You won't have to worry about the lose skin if you lose your weight slowly and keep up the strength training. which I assume that is what you mean by circuit training.