Weed Wacking?

Is that considered gardening, general? or would it be mowing lawn, general? My arm is about to fall off from holding the weed wacker for over an hour, so not sure if it should be considered gardening. I've never felt pain like this from gardening. However, when I push the mower up the hill I do feel it in my arms. So not sure which way I should put this.

Replies

• wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    So I guess I should just decide on my own since nobody has responded. I know it wasn't the most attractive post. Perhaps I should have posted - Pictures with Weed Wacker. Geez, this site can be frustrating sometimes.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Is that considered gardening, general? or would it be mowing lawn, general? My arm is about to fall off from holding the weed wacker for over an hour, so not sure if it should be considered gardening. I've never felt pain like this from gardening. However, when I push the mower up the hill I do feel it in my arms. So not sure which way I should put this.

sorry but your arm doesn't hurt because of muscle use/burning calories but because of muscle abuse from the vibration of the weedeater. Calorie burn is probably same as slow walk for the amount of time you were doing the yard work. Lawn mowing is a little different in that you're pushing so some more effort than just walking. But again, not a tremendous amount more. Now, try raking, that's moving more muscles and more repititions. Or splitting wood with an ax. Then you're getting into some calorie burning.
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member

sorry but your arm doesn't hurt because of muscle use/burning calories but because of muscle abuse from the vibration of the weedeater. Calorie burn is probably same as slow walk for the amount of time you were doing the yard work. Lawn mowing is a little different in that you're pushing so some more effort than just walking. But again, not a tremendous amount more. Now, try raking, that's moving more muscles and more repititions. Or splitting wood with an ax. Then you're getting into some calorie burning.

I'm not so sure about my arm hurting from vibrations. It is just heavy holding it for so long. It reminds me of the saying...carrying a loaf a bread for a mile and it turns into a brick by the time you get there. I agree raking can move more muscles, but it can give me more blisters too! : ) Pushing the lawn mower on our lawn is a bit different than most. It's not a flat surface so you really have to push the mower to get it up the hills and hold onto it going down, otherwise it will roll away. Thanks for your thoughts!
    906090 Posts: 3 Member
    hysterical! I feel as if I've been through a war today after weed whacking yesterday! I figured that with so much pain, maybe I burned some calories, too.

This post is funny. I agree, the vibration must have ill- effects (nerve - damage! ouch!) , but holding that machine and fighting through the weeds has to require some level of higher exertion!

"weed- whacking with pics" hahaha. Those would be lovely, with the bits of weeds stuck in my hair and on my face and my eyes squinted up against the dust and sun. yummy.
  • cbarila
    cbarila Posts: 20 Member
    I'm frustrated with how to figure calories burned using a weed whacker, too. Those suckers are heavy. Pulling the cord 1 million times (ok, slight exaggeration) to get it going. Then it dies, and you have to repeat the cord-pulling cycle until it finally stays on.

I have a large area to weed whack. I work up a huge sweat and get a good pulse rise, going up and down the hills with it. Its not like you are just standing there doing nothing--you have to move this heavy machine side to side constantly. I am out of breath after about 30 minutes, and pouring sweat.

Just not sure how to count it. No, I don't have a pulse monitor or fancy anything but a Fitbit Zip, which doesn't help much b/c you're not stepping vigorously while weed whacking.

Overall, I am out of breath, sweating, and have a pulse in the 130's after using a weed eater or 1/2 hour a day...best guess? I'm about 164ish, 5'7. 150 cals?
  • Kristink_Vaughn
    Kristink_Vaughn Posts: 29 Member
    I agree!!! My arms are killing me from the weight and trying to start it. I think I will put mine under gardening general. I don't have a big area to do, but I still work hard doing it!
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    I use Runtasic and record the distance I walk during the mowing and weed Surprising amount of distance covered over the course of an hour.
  • hansontodd
    hansontodd Posts: 1
    I agree, after mowing weeds with a trimmer for an hour on a side hill, I do feel the work out. It feels like a better workout than mowing lawn. WebMD posted calories burned for Yard Work. Think of it as racking with a 12 lb rack.

Shoveling snow: 400-600 calories per hour
    Heavy yard work (landscaping, moving rocks, hauling dirt): 400-600 calories per hour
    Raking and bagging leaves: 350-450 calories per hour
    Gardening: pulling weeds, planting flowers, etc.: 200-400 calories per hour
    Mowing the lawn: 250-350 calories per hour

I'm going to use a conservative burn count of 300. Your thoughts?
  • Neesie1897
    Neesie1897 Posts: 1 Member
    Agree, the soreness is not all from vibration. A gas powered weed trimmer average weight is abt. 15 lbs. Holding 15 lbs. up, at a specific height, and swinging while walking is a bit more difficult for a female than a man. Most mens muscle structure, upper body strength, would make this relatively easy. I also have a large area on a hill with 3' high grass to trim. After 30 minutes work its easily a moderate workout. It can be quite intense. Try standing on a steep hill, maintain good footing and balance while swinging 10 lbs. side to side, at the same level. Then find another footing and do it gain. My calfs and shins don't ache because the trimmer vibrates. In my circumstances, I consider this at least moderate. Intensity will vary depending on whether, grass height, weight and fitness level.