Weight higher after a workout?

Options
I was a member at Curves several years ago and I remember them having you weigh in before your workout because the weight is higher after a workout. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, why? I did a few experiments with it and usually, after about an hour workout, my weight is 1-2 pounds higher than when I started. It's very strange. I weigh myself every morning at home before eating or drinking, but I only record it on Mondays.

I hate when I weigh on a Thursday and I'm down 3 pounds, but when Monday rolls around, I'm back up to where I was the week before (3 pounds back on). It's very frustrating. I try and tell myself it's just water weight, but it doesn't always work.

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Mainly because you inflame your muscles when you work out. So the higher weight is from muscle or "water" weight.
  • marckilgore
    Options
    So you are adding weight out of thin air without taking in any food or water?

BS
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym mon, wed, fri, but don't weigh myself until Sunday morning for this reason. Last Sunday I weighed in as 232. This morning was 235. It's like being high up on a cliff and somebody says, 'don't look down!', but I do it anyway. Like the other guy said, your muscles are swollen and you're retaining water. Drink lots of fluids and it will go away in about 24 hours.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

BS
    I certainly hope the OP is taking in water and food. Dehydration is not good either.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well it's not bs as it's pretty true i did that 3 times to see and i put weight on i'm pretty sure she would drink water when working out

You should just weigh yourself once a week as your weight changes from day to day some 1 person posted about weighing themselves everyday and i thought i'm going to see this and out of the 3 days i weighed myself im different everyday so just go once a week

BS
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

BS

why would you say that?
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

BS

why would you say that?

I think the OP is trying to say that in the past, at Curves, they would weigh right before beginning the workout...and then weigh immediately after the workout. And that they weighed -more- afterwards....which makes sense to me at least b/c I would think everyone would be hydrating throughout their cardio workout.

IFF (for some reason) you are working out and NOT hydrating (firstly, that's sort of dangerous b/c you can sweat out some serious amounts of water)......I'd think you'd lose weight b/c of the loss of water due to sweating.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did this today at the gym i weighed 3 pound more after i worked out