Ab exercises hurting back?

Options
I have previous experiences with my lower back going out at times. Usually when I don't pay attention and I pick something up wrong — lifting with my back as opposed to my legs. I've noticed also that sometimes I get a sore back from ab exercises. Crunches and sit ups in particular seem to just kill me.

I'm pretty new to exercising. Is this likely just me doing the exercises incorrectly, or more likely that I just need to go slower, do less reps, and build up the muscles more to strengthen them? Or should I just not be doing them at all?

Are there core exercises I can be doing that are a bit easier on the back than crunches and sit ups instead?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    You need to do core/ab exercises if you want your lower back problems to go away.

If you can get an exercise ball, that can really help with modifications for ab exercises. Doing sit ups on the ball as opposed to the floor REALLY take the pressure off your back. Push-ups and planks are both excellent for strengthening your core without putting pressure on your back as well.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Support your back by doing the exercises on a stability ball or put some support under your back if you are doing them on the floor. As the previous poster stated, ab/core exercises are the best way to alleviate your back problems. Take it slow and focus on correct form instead of speed or fullness of motion. Speed and range of motion will increase over time.

I find that ab/core routines where I bend my legs are less stressful on my back, such as bicycles or figure 4 crunches. Also make sure you are adequately warming up your back muscles before exercising.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    http://www.bigbackpain.com/back_exercises.html

Take a look at this for ideas, it may help you with clarifying your technique and give you more options as to what to perform. Good luck, back pain sucks
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    There have been some studies (in the UK I think) that show traditional crunches dont really do anything and cause strain on your vertabrae.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So, if not crunches for the abs, what exercise?
  • IslandJade22
    Options
    Bump
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    There have been some studies (in the UK I think) that show traditional crunches dont really do anything and cause strain on your vertabrae.

Did you mean sit-ups? I've heard that sit-ups are bad for your back.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    May I suggest Yoga. And Pilates once your core is a little stronger? I used to have really bad back problems, and yoga helped immensely.

As for stuff besides crunches, here's what's in Bob Harper's 'Totally Ripped Core' (which is an awesome, AWESOME workout). I lifted this from a reviewer on Amazon:

Deadlifts
    Deadlift Combo
    Weighted Side Crunch
    Windmills
    Weighted Side Crunch (other side)
    Windmills (other side)
    Weighted Squats
    Plyo Squats
    Deadlift Series
    Windmills
    Weighted Side Crunch
    Windmills
    Single Leg Deadlifts
    Single Side Leg Raise
    Weighted Squats
    Plyo Squats

Rollback Series
    Hold Squat
    Side Burpees
    Side Plank Series
    Elbow/Arm Plank
    Back Extensions
    Straight Arm Planks
    Side Burpees
    Plank Series
    Tabletop
    Killer Plank Twists
    Plank
    Tabletop Challenge

Fast Feet Series
    Russian Squat Kicks
    Rollback Series
    Crunch Series
    Scissors
    Straight Leg Twists
    Roll and Extend
    Bicycle Legs

While A LOT of this doesn't look like it has anything to do with your mid-section, they do, and you will feel it.
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love me some weighted twists on a decline bench, hanging leg lifts, plank. side plank, knee-to-elbows (have discovered these recently and i feel it like crazy), also ab roller, but you have to be careful not to go to far and put strain on the lower back, at least thats been my experience. I don't do a whole lot of abwork though as 90% of abs are made in the kitchen, the rest is cardio and strength training. You can't spot reduce
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are doing the exercises incorrectly. I take pilates classes, and during the core/ab work, my lower back will start hurting if i am doing the exercise incorrectly. My ab muscles are pretty weak, and so my lower back will over compensate for them if I am not concentrating on making sure that it is my abs doing the work. Occasionally, I'll have to move on to a different movement if my back will not disengage and let my abs do the work. At no point during pilates/yoga should your back hurt; when my back does hurt it is because i am (unintentionally) doing it wrong. I'm a work in progress.

Pilates and yoga will help strengthen your core--I highly recommend both. They have a lot of exercises that target your abs beyond situps/crunches. Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You need to do core/ab exercises if you want your lower back problems to go away.

If you can get an exercise ball, that can really help with modifications for ab exercises. Doing sit ups on the ball as opposed to the floor REALLY take the pressure off your back. Push-ups and planks are both excellent for strengthening your core without putting pressure on your back as well.

This. You have to strengthen the whole middle. Have you checked out Jililan Michaels No More Trouble Zones? It's great for all over. And she really works the abs and the core.
    You go as slow as you need to. If you are just starting. Your back will get stronger. I used to get this to in the beginning.
    Planks would make my wrist hurt for three days. But it got stronger and the pain stopped.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so far! I will look into these exercises and possibly into getting a ball, too.

Mostly I'm thinking now that perhaps I was going too far too soon, and need to slow down and give myself some time to catch up to where I want to be instead of jumping in too fast. Bite off what you can chew and no more and all that, right? I just wasn't sure if I should not be doing them at all, or simply slowing down. Seems like I (likely, anyway) just need to work on building them up, not ignoring them.

Thanks again, you've all been helpful so far!
  • mybiketrip
    mybiketrip Posts: 239
    Options

Source please. I'd like to read the results of the study.