Should I eat all calories burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• listlife
    listlife Posts: 30
    Options
    Well I started here at about the same stats as you. I eat back most of my exercise cals and i lose about 1-1.5 a week. If that helps at all
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    oh lordy I could be totally screwing up. I didn't get this whole net thing, and I am for a defecit everyday.. is that not good then? My estimated needs is 1900 for my height/weight and I eat 1200-1300 everyday and I workout almost everyday, using my HRM says approx 700 calories each workout, I would have a defecit of 1300 every day. I thought the goal was to have a defecit!

SOME deficit. But 1300 calorie deficit, plus the built in one from MFP? That's excessive.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor to verify your exercise calories burned numbers are correct. With relatively small numbers, the MFP approximation is close enough to not worry. With lots of exercise however, being off by even 10% (which honestly tends to be a little low) of 4000 daily calories comes out to nearly a pound a week in unexplained weight gain/lack of weight loss.

Then read the stickies at the top of the General forums, particularly the one titled "Newbies Please READ ME (2nd edition)". It will answer all your questions and tell you exactly why you should do it that way.
  • lmcianci87
    lmcianci87 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks!
    Sooo...am I doing it right if I follow everyday like today? haha..totally lost!
  • IdalmisRodriguez
    IdalmisRodriguez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "Estimate how many calories you’re burning per mile of running by multiplying your weight by 0.75. Multiply your weight by 0.53 for an estimate of calories burned per mile of walking." I found that in a website (can't even remember where- but I copy/pasted it to a note).
    My point is: be careful on how you count the burned calories. In 70 min of exercise my treadmill says I burn 600 calories and MFP says I burn 450- I trust MFP because it knows my weight and height. Do I explain myself?:smile: It's not the same for everybody. And I agree with the comments that remind you this is a LIFESTYLE change. You can't be unrealistic because then you won't keep it up.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    HELP! haha..I'm new to this and totally confused on how many calories I should eat/leave. I did Weight Watchers previously, and they tell you to eat your points! haha..I did lose 32 lbs though!! I wanted to try something FREE and different, I could tell I wasn't consuming enough calories.

OK...so I'm given 1450 calories a day. I work out 6 times a week (burning 600-700 calories), therefore my total is 2050-2150 right??
    Here are my readings for today:
    Goal: 1450
    Food: 1643
    Exercise:615
    Net: 1028
    Remaining: 422

soo..my question is, is this good or bad?! haha..help!! :)

I agree with the first person's response to this topic. I try to keep my Net Calories between 1200 and my goal (1390). Your body needs the fuel to function at a basic level. If I go over a few (or 100) calories one day I'm just more careful the next day. And it's the big picture that I stay focused on: movement and healthy choices. :flowerforyou: