Life lesson learned... huge NSV

Options
daydream58
daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
I am sitting here with ice on my knees, and my elbows are next... because today for my workout, I went ice skating for the first time in 9 years! Was it a great workout? You bet - let's say I showed up on my scooter with the jacket closed and left and rode all the way home with it wide open, and it's NOT particularly warm here (maybe 45°) and I wasn't cold at all.

Here's the thing - when my health problems started 9 years ago, I was skating at the time. And I haven't skated again until this morning. Recently I found out my health is never going to really return to where I hoped it could be. And ironically that has made me want to go out and do all the stuff I was waiting until I was "good enough" to do!

All those years I thought about all the great things I could do "when I got better". I could lose weight and play sports and ice skate. Well I'm here to say please don't let 9 years of your life pass you by waiting to be good enough. Go do all the stuff you want to do now.

I've got ice on my knees for falling twice, and my elbows are next and I'm thrilled. I never even fell before. I was always so careful. Well not anymore - I pushed myself today, I pushed the envelope and I fell down TWICE! How cool is that? And nice people were on me in seconds helping me back up. You gotta love that.

I know I'm strong enough to even have a day like this because last summer I started tracking my food and working out. I can do stuff. I do not have to wait until I'm good enough. I don't have to wait for anything at all, I can live my life and have fun and nothing can stop me.

Go out and live, don't wait for anything or anyone!

xoxo
Deedee

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Same here. My daughter wanted to learn so I bucked up and learned also. I wore a ski jacket one time and was sweating my butt off. It's great cardio and I have fun dragging my daughter around the rink. I still suck at it though.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What a great success story! Thank you so much for sharing with everyone that ANYTHING is possible if you put your mind to it. No waiting for tomorrow, no excuses, just get out there and do it! Best of luck to you as you continue your journey :)

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Love it! And super message. Tis true! Keep it up. I wanna read more posts like this one.
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Awwwww, that was so great! I'm so happy for you!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Love you for sharing this, DeeDee. :heart:
    You are so right: don't wait for tomorrow, do it today. You have your heart on the right place, my friend.
    This NSV is so much more important than losing 10 pounds :flowerforyou:
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I love you
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And thanks for sharing your story! Wisdom shared is wisdom grown!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    fantastic! you sound so happy and that's awesome!!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story, DeeDee.
  • jes1975
    jes1975 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As someone with an invisible disability I hear what you are saying. life is too short to wait for stuff.

I know as I lose weight my pain levels will increase, however when I get to maintainance they should ease again.

If I don't push through the pain a bit I'll never get there. Its currently 0355 where I am, had to get up for pain killers, must have overdone it at zumba gold (the one for older folk or the less active- I'm 37, the youngest in the class apart from the instructor)
  • vscott913
    vscott913 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    AMEN my friend! So glad you had a great day and learned such a huge lesson now. So... after tonight's night hike, what's on the list for tomorrow? You climbing Mt. Everest, or what??? heheh WTG girl! Enjoy every moment!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh Deedee - how I love this post - you are my absolute hero - I am sooooo happy you went ice skating, the falling and everything - now that is living your life my friend :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!