Toddler Nutrition

Options
2»

Replies

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    With my kids - and I have even more than you, LOL - I breastfed as long as I could and then switched to whole milk. Formula is, IMO, a processed food. Better than most, and wonderful for babies who can't be breastfed for whatever reason, but not as good as real food. I also wouldn't trust the formula company to tell me what's healthy, as their agenda is sales, not education.

Definitely go for hormone free milk over formula.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    They also sell milk with DHA added...I think it's by Horizon and it's organic. They have it at Target....it is very expensive. My DD could not drink cow's milk due to eczema until she was 15 months old so I had her on soy with DHA (silk)....I also BF her until she was 13 months and luckily still have a supply in the freezer that I supplement her with now at 19 months.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I switched both of my kids to whole milk at 12 months (actually my son at 11 months). But actually...the only major difference between whole milk, 2%, 1%, and skim is the milk fat amount. They all have the same vitamins and same AMOUNT of vitamins. Both of my kids (almost 6 and 3) are on skim now because I figure they get enough fat out of other things they eat. Our DR approves this change as well. As long as they're getting milk a few times a day for the vitamins, he's good.

That being said, however...I didn't switch my daughter to skim until she turned 2. She was on Whole milk from years 1 - 2.

Honestly...I think the Enfagrow and all of those toddler "formulas" are just a way for the formula makers to make more money after kids turn 1.
  • mlkleve
    mlkleve Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a daycare and our guidelines are as follows: breastmilk or formula until age 1. Whole milk until age 2 and then 1% after the age of 2. Formulas all basically have the same ingredients unless it's for a special diet. I use Target brand milk-based formula with Iron and the only difference between that and Similac is the price.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have a daycare and our guidelines are as follows: breastmilk or formula until age 1. Whole milk until age 2 and then 1% after the age of 2. Formulas all basically have the same ingredients unless it's for a special diet. I use Target brand milk-based formula with Iron and the only difference between that and Similac is the price.

My brother used to work at Target unloading trucks and he said that the Target brand formula actually came in Enfamil boxes. It's made by the same company!

Same goes with Target brand diapers and Pampers! LOL
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

My brother used to work at Target unloading trucks and he said that the Target brand formula actually came in Enfamil boxes. It's made by the same company!

Same goes with Target brand diapers and Pampers! LOL

Target brand wipes are just like pampers also! :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Clicked on thread hoping to learn about the nutrition benefits of eating toddlers

Left disappointed
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    2% for my 2 year old once she turned a year (prior formula as she didnt come from my body :) ) her dr. says unless underweight they reccommend 2% my boys 12 and 9 got whole for a while but they all get 2 % now

Oh she also does not get juice and drinks lots of water

My son was a "chunky monkey"...we still gave him whole milk until he was 2 and then started progressing to 2%, then 1% and he is on skim milk now (he's 5). For my daughter...I may keep her on whole milk a longer because she has been in the 5-10 percentile category for weight since she was born...she's a tiny little thing, so I don't think the extra fat will hurt her.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Make sure he's eating 8 meals a day to keep his metabolic furnace smoldering.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My doctor said whole milk at a year is fine. Formula or breast milk before that.
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would keep breastfeeding as long as possible. My daughter was breastfed till 2 years old. Now she drink regular milk. I try breastfeeding a month or two more then go to straight cow's milk if need to stop.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My guess is that at 9 months, your child is eating a variety of other foods, and the nutrition will be fine no matter what formula you choose.
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Fat is not a 4-letter word...kids shouldn't be drinking skim milk...and I'd say the higher the fat the better because they'll be hungry less for snacky crap while they're still picky little buggers and textures, flavors & smells are too extreme for their undeveloped pallates. Formula is really too expensive to feed the appetites of toddlers. While I'm not a huge fan of our relatively recent dependence on cows (lactose "tolerance" is really the only genetic evolution humans have gone through the past few thousand years and even that's a tenuous one at best!) milk is more wholesome and nutritious than handfulls of Cheerios (even though I work at General Mills!) or Gerber puffs or yogurt melts.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Clicked on thread hoping to learn about the nutrition benefits of eating toddlers

Left disappointed

Word.