Replacing calories lost when sick?

Options
This may be a touchy topic so please bear with me? :flowerforyou: Context: I am overweight and have been successfully dieting and exercising to lose weight gradually over the past four months.

I have been diagnosed with IBS and have a really sensitive digestive system. Every so often I eat something (usually an unexpected combination of somethings) that promptly gives me diarrhea. This is not fun. :explode:

The next day after one of these episodes I typically find myself to be monstrously hungry. So I eat a little more than usual. And I see that I'm not ballooning up afterwards, my weight trend remains pretty steady.

What I want to know is how many calories am I losing when I get sick?

I want to know what is typical, so I know how many calories I should be replacing, without overdoing it. (If I was an inborn expert at judging food quantities I wouldn't be counting in the first place :wink: ) Today is an example. I was sick last night, and I have eaten a little more than usual today. :drinker: If I can have a ballpark idea of how many calories I lost, I can say "hmm I haven't actually made up for what I lost yet, so I'm ok", or vice versa.

You can see why this is a sensitive question: googling on this I came up with all kinds of returns on how horrible it is to be bulimic. But that's truly not me, never has been, and I'm asking for the right reasons.

So anybody have a clue?

Replies

• purplelilac123
    purplelilac123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too. I had stomach issues yesterday and over a week ago I also had problems. I did go over my calories for the day because later on I was feeling better and hungry. I probably got the food out of my system faster anyway. I read somewhere that it could eliminate as much as 500 or 600 but it is hard to know how much of what you ate was absorbed by the body.
  • nicolaluna
    nicolaluna Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hah, i'm glad i'm not the only one! but it looks like we're remaining ignorant for now.... is there any way to bump forum topics up?

nicole