BEST and WORST protein Bars

Options
2»

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Clif Builder Bars are good, I have the chocolate mint ones often.

To make your own protein bars with whey powder, you need to find out that doesn't taste horrible. Optimum nutrition tastes really good in comparison to many others. I've made http://scoobysworkshop.com/healthy-inexpensive-meal-replacement-bars/
    before and they aren't bad. The taste 100% depends on the protein powder you use. I was using some cheap Walmart brand the first time and just threw them out.

The Quest protein bars seem to use some new sort of "sweetener" that is also fiber, that's how they have 19g of fiber.
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the best IMO. All the flavors taste pretty good (PBJ is my favorite) but most importantly they aren't loaded with sugar/carbs. Tons of fiber and protein.

I wonder how they taste... I'm looking at their site and they are by far the lowest sugar bars I have seen anywhere. I like sweet though LOL. Are they truly somewhat tasty? I may have to try these... I'm tired of all the bars having so much sugar.

Hah, i just looked at the website, too! Those flavors all looks super enticing...added it to my shopping list to see if Marsh has them!
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I hear the Lara Bars are tasty! They are also not made with any processed sugar, they are sweetened with fruit. Very healthy!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein!!! Even the kids eat them w/no problem. I'm surprised I like them so much!
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    I love the FortiFX bars -especially the chocolate.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I don't usually eat bars, but my old time favorite was Greens+ chocolate.
  • Teffy2
    Teffy2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the best IMO. All the flavors taste pretty good (PBJ is my favorite) but most importantly they aren't loaded with sugar/carbs. Tons of fiber and protein.

I love Questbars especially the Chocolate Brownie bar. At first they don't taste great, because I wasn't used to bars without sugar or sugar alcohol but now I crave them!

No sugar, 20 grams of Protein, 19 grams of Fiber and when I drink water with it, I'm satisfied for a couple of hours. On occasion it's a guilt free quick eat, instead of the French Fries I buy my son.
  • Teffy2
    Teffy2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I wonder how they taste... I'm looking at their site and they are by far the lowest sugar bars I have seen anywhere. I like sweet though LOL. Are they truly somewhat tasty? I may have to try these... I'm tired of all the bars having so much sugar.

If you want to try them and order them online, netrition.com has them for a good price and you can order 1 at a time and shipping is $4.95 for any order.

Drugstore.com has free shipping if you buy two boxes. There is only one store in my entire area that carries them, and they are sold out every week, so finding free shipping was a big win for me.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i just found Zone bars they taste really good and you can get them at the supermarket 10/10 often.
  • MAponte73
    MAponte73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like NuGo bars. They have a bunch of flavors but at my Costco they have a box that has Vanilla, chocolate, and peanut butter chocolate.

I will have to buy some and try them... I love Costco!!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Check out Alton Brown's recipes for protein bars on foodtv.com - You can nudge the recipe if it's too sweet or whatever, as he likes to include fruit in the protein bar, but it'll give you a good starting point. I've never been disappointed using that recipe to start.

I ♥ Alton! i will def check out his recipes!
    I love Questbars especially the Chocolate Brownie bar. At first they don't taste great, because I wasn't used to bars without sugar or sugar alcohol but now I crave them!

No sugar, 20 grams of Protein, 19 grams of Fiber and when I drink water with it, I'm satisfied for a couple of hours. On occasion it's a guilt free quick eat, instead of the French Fries I buy my son.

Funny you say that, I was choking down some protein bars years ago...they had almost no sugar. once I figured that they were better tasting when you drink a bunch of water with it, they weren't so bad!
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein. Low calories, high protein, little to no sugar and still taste reasonably good, especially the peanut butter (though it has a few more calories). I get them at Sam's Club for like $18 for 3 boxes of 6 bars.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Most protein bars out there are going to be pretty much the same as far as being so processed unless you make your own. Quest bars are the cleanest (and yummiest) protein bars I've found. Unfortunately they have to be ordered online unless your one of the lucky ones who has a retailer selling them nearby...
    Other than quest, I'll have Kind bars preworkout (although not much protein) and supreme protein bars when I really want a bar.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Clif Builder Bars are good, I have the chocolate mint ones often.

To make your own protein bars with whey powder, you need to find out that doesn't taste horrible. Optimum nutrition tastes really good in comparison to many others. I've made http://scoobysworkshop.com/healthy-inexpensive-meal-replacement-bars/
    before and they aren't bad. The taste 100% depends on the protein powder you use. I was using some cheap Walmart brand the first time and just threw them out.

The Quest protein bars seem to use some new sort of "sweetener" that is also fiber, that's how they have 19g of fiber.

Wow, I'm definitely trying this homemade protein bar recipe! Thanks for sharing. Actually happen to have a few tubs of Optimum Nutrition on hand, too. :)
  • twiztid_princess
    Options
    The only protein bar I can eat is Luna.. I am super picky on food and they are the only ones i actually like... when I can afford it i'm getting a box of them. especially the chocolate cherry ones.
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Gnu bars -

You bars - you create you own flavors and add the nutrients you want.

Quest bars 100% natural
  • kayvjackson
    kayvjackson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband just had liver surgery and requires additional protein. His doc recommended protein bars and I have the added request that they be minimally processed. There is a Vitamin Shoppe nearby that sells single bars, so I bought several for him to try. He is very picky about protein supplements. They recommended the Quest Cookies and Cream. I don't see how it is minimally processed, but he ate it and would eat it again. The texture is really dense, but he thought it tasted okay, so to someone else, they are probably really good. I know this is an old topic, but I wonder if anyone has any new input. Thanks.