Ever feel like you just wanna give up?

Options
I don't know why, but I feel this way today. I see all these people losing extraordinary amounts of weight and it's soo great and inspirational, but I just don't myself losing that much. It feels like an eternity away, maybe I feel this way because my TOM is coming up very soon, I don't know. I just feel like no matter what I do, I'll always be this fat, ugly woman and I need to just deal with it. I can't even go to my gym that I pay for every month because I'm too embarrassed; I'm almost too embarrassed to go anywhere or do anything, I just hate that I let myself get this way, I used to be so thin and in shape and I dont know how this happened, I just hate myself for it :angry:

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Sorry I just had to vent
  • MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    We all have days like that, some women experience this especially around TOM but don't let it get to you. Just think hard about everything you want and what benefits you wil receive after. It is okay to take a day off just get back into stronger than ever!
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling kinda the same way lately. and my TOM should also be here, any day now. :flowerforyou:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Arienna,
    Don't set yourself up for failure! The mind is THE MOST POWERFUL tool in your arsenal to help you live a healthy lifestyle. I was JUST like you. I had decided that I was going to live out the rest of my life fat, but, I thought, I'd be happy. No worrying about dieting, the way I looked...none of that stuff.

Well, destiny had other plans. Living an unhealthy life is not that easy. I was admitted to the hospital last summer with what the doctors thought was a heart attack. I was only 40 years old! Plus, I was a smoker. How could I not see what I was doing to myself. Thank God, everything turned out okay but it was a definite wake up call. I started wallking in my neighborhood, at first. Then I started jogging and now I'm running and doing Pilates! Who'd have thought! No one can do it for you. It took me 40 years to figure out there is no "quick fix" to living healthy. It is a huge change in lifestyle. You have to change the way you cook, the way you look at food, everything. But, I promise you, it is sssooo worth it! You ARE worth it. Please don't give up. When we help each other reach our goals, we all succeed. Come on...join us!
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    oh, and I also would like to add, that maybe the reason we feel this way is because our bodies need extra nutrients during this TOM. I'm not totally sure, but that's what I'm thinking. At least I've really been craving proteins a lot lately. :wink:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Arienna-- what got me last year was the belief that "if she can do it, I can do it." And so can we all.

There's nothing special about anyone here who has lost weight, whether it be lots or little. They put their pants on one leg at a time-- they just hung in there.

You can do this-- don't give up.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I used to be too embarrassed to go to the gym as well but then I realized that now i've lost my weight bigger people at the gym probably see me as "one of those" people that I always dreaded seeing too. Everyone at the gym hasn't always been the "right weight" and now when I see bigger people in my gym I think "you go girl" because I know it's not easy but it's admirable, I was there once and I know what a struggle it can be but just remember people at the gym didn't always look that way and you have to start somewhere. Believe it from someone who has been overweight, it's WELL worth the journey when you get there!
  • Katlacy
    Katlacy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! We all have those day's, but don't give up! I have a LOT of weight to lose and there are times when I think, "Just forget it!" I have messed up and ate something that I shouldn't have. The difference now is I give myself a pep talk and try and realize that one mistake doesn't have to mean that my whole diet is over. We have crazy hormone day's, that's just the way it is. Just remember that tomorrow you will feel differently. If not tomorrow, then the next day for sure. This too shall pass! Don 't give up!
  • angelascott919
    Options
    Im sure I speak for quite a few people when I say... Every fricken day!!

But then i remember why I started this. I am so tired of feeling sick and tired. I have no idea how I will feel to be slim (never skinny). But I know that I will be healthier. I will be happier. I will be able to do things I haven't been able to do before or for a long time. Go to an amusement park and ride the rollercoasters, go to the beach and not feel like a whale (no pun intended). Drive any car I want (some seats are way to small or the seat belts are too short).

Take time to sit back, relax and think, meditate if you do.... Think about you and what it will be like to be that better person.

I know it's hard, believe me I know. But you can do it, you can lose weight and be happier, healther. Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time, one step at a time. If you are eating healthy, exercising you will lose weight. Not everyone loses the same way, you are you.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    I don't know why, but I feel this way today. I see all these people losing extraordinary amounts of weight and it's soo great and inspirational, but I just don't myself losing that much. It feels like an eternity away, maybe I feel this way because my TOM is coming up very soon, I don't know. I just feel like no matter what I do, I'll always be this fat, ugly woman and I need to just deal with it. I can't even go to my gym that I pay for every month because I'm too embarrassed; I'm almost too embarrassed to go anywhere or do anything, I just hate that I let myself get this way, I used to be so thin and in shape and I dont know how this happened, I just hate myself for it :angry:

When I feel that bad about myself, which happens frequently enough. Where I want to just crawl back into bed and forget about the world, most of all forget about doing everything I need to do. I use it as ammunition to get things done. So I'll do a workout that is a little harder than I usually do or I'll do the bootcamp dvd I hate so much because it's hard and I'll curse Billy Blanks and then follow it up with yoga. That way I end up doing something that will help me achieve my goal AND something to be proud of. Which is a positive spin on a negative situation but hey, if taking a day off is what you really need that has it's place too.

Hope that helps.
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I have those days at least once per week. But fortunately, my friends and family are there to support me. Not to mention the fact that as soon as I look at an old picture of myself, I am all about some working out. Just look at all the progress you've made! Keep on working at it and you'll be at your goal literally before you know it!
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Its normal to lose motivation like that, it really comes and goes as the days pass. You just have to have the comittment to stick with it and grind it out even though its hard. You may be overweight (like the rest of us) but there is no such thing as an ugly woman. Just remember that you're on the right path and you've already taken the first few steps that are the hardest when it comes to losing weight. It would be soo foolish to stop now, so just tough it out, keep your head up and know that we're all behind you 100%.
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    I spent the past 16 years giving up. I do understand the concept. This time is different though - there will be no giving up. "Dealing with" your current unhealthy weight is definitely not the approach to take. Calling yourself names won't help either.

You joined in May 2009 - and you've lost 13 pounds so far. I'd say that's extrodinary! Yay!! Way to go!

TOM or "Flo" as we like to call her in our household is mostly certainly, at least partially, to blame for your current state of mind. Fight back by making good eating decisions, and get some exercise - whether you feel like it or not - you'll be glad you did. I keep only healthy snack foods in the house - almonds, weight watchers string cheese, frozen blueberries, non-fat yogurt - and I allow myself a "feeding frenzy" if I feel the need. If I over-indulge on frozen blueberries with blueberry non-fat yogurt mixed in, I'm certainly not going to feel too bad about it. Flo is an unwelcome visitor at my house and I don't let her take over - not by any means!!!
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Everyone does at some point, change is hard and getting healthy and staying that way is also but well worth it. The only advice I can give you is this, care enough about yourself /your health to stick with it. do it for yourself and your loved ones. your young so don't wait until your old like me:laugh: (ok I'm not THAT old, but I wish I had made this healthy commitment sooner) hang in there:flowerforyou:
  • sgpratt
    sgpratt Posts: 2
    Options
    EVERYONE goes through this from time to time, men and women...there are lots of days when I don't want to get out of bed at 6am to work out. When I give in to the temptation to stay in bed, I end up feeling bad for the rest of the day. When I get up and get moving, I feel good. Those few minutes when you're debating whether or not to exercise are the most important minutes of your day...DON'T GIVE IN!!

If you're embarassed about going to the gym, I have a suggestion. Get a home exercise program. Beachbody sells a program called TurboJam, and people have seen incredible results from it when they stick with it over the long term. If you're wondering, no, I don't work for Beachbody :) I use one of their other programs (P90X) and have seen terrific results from it. TurboJam seems geared towards people with weight to lose, and it's really helped those who have made the commitment. Just a thought.

Whatever you choose, don't keep moving! The healthier you are, the longer you'll be here to enjoy it.

Best of luck,
    Scott
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You know what? There are people at the gym who are larger than I am but they KICK MY REAR when it comes to how hard they work out. I actually can't keep up with some of them. There is also a guy on oxygen on the treadmill that blows my mind! We are all so different. You just have to remember that if somone is judging you, that is their self esteem talking, don't let it be yours. You are a lot more than just a body! The best thing I have found to get rid of the weight blues is to go work out. Get up and go do it. Then you will feel so much better about at least your accomplishment today! Then tomorrow, tackle it again. One day at a time!!!
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have felt that way many times, especially since I only seem to be loosing half a lb each week. However, all those weeks have added up to 24lbs lost for me. I don't have much more to go so I went to try on some bathing suits and cute summer clothes for the first time in 6 months and I LOVED the way I look! I am down to a size 6. I have lost 7 inches off my waist, 4" off my hips and I am so glad I didn't give up.

Whenever you fall off the wagon, just start over the next day! The time will pass anyhow so why not stick with it?:flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Arienna,

I see that you, like me, have a lot to lose. It can be very overwhelming when you look at the amount left to go in your weight loss journey. I have been doing this for 5 months now and I am down 49 lbs. I figure 10 lbs a month is great and I have told myself that it will take at least 1 1/2 years to reach where I want to be. So far I am sticking to my plan.

I was very hesitent about going to the gym too.I felt people would look at me and wonder why I was there. I was afraid I would look like an idiot using the equipment .The reality is, they have made me feel welcome. The people at the gym are noticing the changes in me and they are very encouraging. A trainer can always give you a program that will help you lose more weight.

Take it one day at a time. Don't look at the whole journey. It's the steps you take that will carry you to your goal of a fitter and healthier body.
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    I have been having "just wanna give up" days for the past 2 months. And in fact, I have given up. Even though I said "this time" I would never give up. So much for that. I'm currently searching for a good reason to get going again. Yesterday I got back some less-than-satisfactory blood work from my physical. I shouldn't be surprised that it was bad considering my condition, but I have never had abnormal results (other than my weight) from a physical. So I'm pretty bummed about it...
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Arienna, Don't give up. It has taken me more then one year to lose 30+ pounds and I feel fantastic. Just keep on going and when you have these days get on here and vent like you did. It will pass.

Just try try try again. It will work and you will be so happy that you did.

Also get to the gym. Who cares what other people think. Sometimes it is just you feeling that way. I go to the gym and there are all shapes and sizes. We all have one thing in common. We want to look and feel good about ourselves.

:heart: Kathy