Alternative to coffee

Options
So, in looking at my food diary, I've realized that I use up a lot of calories with coffee. Mind you, not the coffee itself, but the add-ons (especially sugar) are killing me. I like my coffee very light and I add cream and sugar to get rid of the bitter taste, which I really kind of hate.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a healthier alternative to coffee or a way to make my coffee healthier (besides drinking it black, that I just cannot do). I do notice a definite difference in my ability to concentrate when I don't drink coffee so something that's good for energy boosts would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Chinese pu-erh tea has a strong flavor profile like coffee, but isn't bitter. So you can get by with a lot less cream and sugar.

Also some roasted yerba mate might fit the bill, especially since it has about the same amount of caffeine as coffee.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get jumped on but my "coffee" in the morning is a can of Diet Coke. I never got into coffee for the very reason you now have an issue with it. Rather than deal with the calories, I've always just had my one Diet Coke in the morning and I'm good for the day. Besides, it's hot here most of the year and I have zero interest in a hot beverage when it's 8am and 85° outside and climbing.
  • MaggieFB1
    Options
    Do you drink tea? If not, could you acquire a taste for it? There many flavors to add interest without adding calories.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    How about Green Coffee ?
  • lnguyen578
    Options
    English tea or green tea! I love english tea, I add almond milk and stevia to mine. Much better than coffee!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, first you can try getting coffee that is not bitter. I don't know if you brew at home or buy it out, but places like Starbucks have a light roast (theirs is called Blonde right now). Or try flavored coffee grounds. Anyhow, the next step...if you brew at home, add about 1 tsp of cinnamon into the filter before putting the grounds in. Adds nice flavor. By adding the cinnamon I have been able to reduce the amount of sugar I put in to 1/2 tsp. I still use 2 Tbsp. of half & half. If you really like yours almost white, use skim milk instead of cream.
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have to have coffee every morning as well. I think coffee taste horrible, like sticks and mud. lol. But i just make my coffee a little weaker to begin with and then add as little splenda and sugar free creamer liquid creamer. It still has calories but minimizes as much as I can. Other than that use 5hour energy or no carb energy drinks.

Good luck to you
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Maybe look at at black tea or a rooibos tea. They can have a sweeter flavor profile and some are quite caffeinated for that punch.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I slowly cut out the sugar. I still drink my light roast coffee with skim milk or whole milk. Now I just have sugar in my coffee as a treat. I also love the combination of eating/drinking bitter and sweet so my morning luna bar and non sugar coffee is yummy.
    :drinker:
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I love black coffee so i totally don't get this :( May i suggest using the chocolate soy milk and just a bit of sugar free flavored syrup :)
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Whats green coffee?
    How about Green Coffee ?
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative to coffee!!!

Seriously though, try some of the no-cal sweetners. Personally I like Sweet & Low or Splenda, other folks prefer Stevia or agave. I know some people use almond milk or fat free milk for their creamer.

Currently I drink iced coffee w/ only sweetner with the occasional cup w/ sweetner & creamer.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no alternative to coffee!!!

Agreed. You're looking for a cream and sugar alternative, not a coffee alternative. So, maybe splenda and skim milk?
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i have my coffee... i used splenda and non dairy creamer (10 cals a teaspoon)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding extracts?
    I like to add a little almond extract to flavor it (about 1/8 tsp for 1 cup) and about the same vanilla extract should take out the bitterness.

ETA:
    I also use unsweetened almond milk instead of creamer (35cals per CUP) or unsweet vanilla almond milk (40cals per CUP)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    calorie free sweetener and low fat milk instead of cream. It's funny I put milk & sweetener in my regular cup of joe but like my espresso straight up.
  • amberpsalm23
    amberpsalm23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    more sleep ;)
  • imogenjade
    imogenjade Posts: 131
    Options
    have flavoured tea, low fat hot choc or force your self to have coffee, with a splash of skimmed milk with sweeteners xx
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Coke.
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Coke.

effective..but illegal. haha