Big breakfast VS small breakfast...

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    When I wake up, I am hungry. I like bigger breakfasts around 300-350 calories. If I'm going to hit the gym in the morning I have a glass of milk before I go so I have something to start on then have a bigger breakfast later.

I know that eating something in the morning is necessary to start your body burning.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    ...which is better for fat loss, and why? :smile:

There is no "one size fits all" answer. Whichever helps you stick to your daily goals is better for you.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    I usually eat a pretty big breakfast anywhere from 300-600 calories (especially if I'm doing a serious calorie burning workout that day!) because it's hard for me to eat all of my calories/exercise calories throughout the rest of the day. I always feel better when I eat a bigger breakfast rather than when I just have a small bowl of cereal or something like that. I just don't feel like I have the same energy throughout the day!
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 259 Member
    I like to eat good size breakfast. I used to not eat it at all but then I would snack ( bad kind) till lunch or over eat at lunch. I also workout in the morning. I think it really it gives me energy.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    I'm not hungry at all when I wake up. It takes me a little while to get moving so I tend to graze over the course of the morning. I start my coffee about an hour and a half after I wake up (it's when I get to work). After I finish my coffee I'll have a Greek yogurt or some oatmeal. I may eat some fruit before lunch. I really hate feeling hungry but I don't like feeling full in the morning, especially at work. It just makes me want to go back to sleep. Grazing just works for me.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    It doesn't matter when you eat breakfast or any thing else. And it doesn't matter what you eat either, as long as you're hitting your calorie and macro needs at the end of the day.

If you want wine, count the calories for it like you do everything else.

Maintain a caloric deficit and maybe get a little exercise.

Viola! Life is easier than everyone makes it.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    I love breakfast so much, more so when I'm off when I make pancakes
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    I prefer a bigger breakfast that has protein to keep me fuller.
  • A healthy breakfast is best! One that is balanced in protein, carbs and fats!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    I am not sure it matters big or small but I think it does make a difference whether you eat breakfast or not.. at least for me.. I tend not to eat breakfast because I am not hungry in the mornings but I loose more weight when i make myself eat something with in an hour of waking .
  • MommyLyssa
    MommyLyssa Posts: 134
    I don't eat breakfast :o I don't get hungry until about 11am, then I make lunch with the kids. Night is when I tend to eat more. If I eat breakfast (which I do on occasion) my whole system gets all sorts of messed up, then Ihave no calories left for the night time when I get snacky and then I am NOT a happy girl.

I think this is something that everything is going to work differently for different people. My husband can't live with no breakfast. He is a mess if he hasn't eaten by 9am. Me? I eat around 11:30-12:00 for lunch with everyone :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I am not sure it matters big or small but I think it does make a difference whether you eat breakfast or not.

It only matters if the decision to eat or not to eat effects your total intake of calories and macronutrients over time. It doesn't have any metabolic effect and the old phrase of eating breakfast to "boost your metabolism" is false.

I'm not doubting that it works for you, but if it causes weight loss it's because your decision to eat breakfast is effecting your other food decisions later in the day.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    that's because with breakfast your body starts to burn - without a breakfast it's harder to loose weight, because your body "is not turned on" ...so either breakfast or doing sports in the morning will give your body a sign to burn calories ...there have been times in my life I'd went for th sport in the morning...nosw I rather go for the breakfast

~checks his body looking for the on switch~

Huh?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    that's because with breakfast your body starts to burn - without a breakfast it's harder to loose weight, because your body "is not turned on" ...so either breakfast or doing sports in the morning will give your body a sign to burn calories ...there have been times in my life I'd went for th sport in the morning...nosw I rather go for the breakfast

Oh, so that's why I never want breakfast. I'll have to thank my husband.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    I am not sure it matters big or small but I think it does make a difference whether you eat breakfast or not.

It only matters if the decision to eat or not to eat effects your total intake of calories and macronutrients over time. It doesn't have any metabolic effect and the old phrase of eating breakfast to "boost your metabolism" is false.

I'm not doubting that it works for you, but if it causes weight loss it's because your decision to eat breakfast is effecting your other food decisions later in the day.
    sorry but this is wrong ..for me anyway..It is not as simple as calories in vs calories out for a lot of people. If it were everyone who went on a diet would be thin and stay thin... It may work for some people and if does for you then congrats.Not all of us are that lucky. Especially if you have health issues and are over 40.. I am dealing with both..I eat at a deficit and I exercise and have been stalled for a long time. What makes a difference for me is what I eat and when.. but that's just my 2 cents ..take what you want from it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

sorry but this is wrong ..for me anyway..It is not as simple as calories in vs calories out for a lot of people. If it were everyone who went on a diet would be thin and stay thin... It may work for some people and if does for you then congrats.Not all of us are that lucky. Especially if you have health issues and are over 40.. I am dealing with both..I eat at a deficit and I exercise and have been stalled for a long time. What makes a difference for me is what I eat and when.. but that's just my 2 cents ..take what you want from it.

Are you familiar with the thermic effect of feeding or diet induced thermogenesis?
  • i am really no breakfaster - strange thing is i am more hungry if i have breakfast for the rest of the day than without

My hubby is the same way. :smile:

Same. I feel like when I eat breakfast it opens the 'flood gates' and Im just hungrier.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    To be blunt... you don't have to eat breakfast and you don't have to or not to eat at any specific time.

Your metabolism is going day in and day out. You will not stop losing weight if you don't eat breakfast or if you eat right before bed. These are myths that just will not die.

^^^^^ This. Enjoy your newfound freedom.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    It doesn't matter when you eat breakfast or any thing else. And it doesn't matter what you eat either, as long as you're hitting your calorie and macro needs at the end of the day.

If you want wine, count the calories for it like you do everything else.

Maintain a caloric deficit and maybe get a little exercise.

Viola! Life is easier than everyone makes it.

^^^^ And This.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    I certainly do not know what is better for weight loss but I believe a large breakfast is good for me. Lean protein helps to keep me full for a long time and I am in better control for the day. Is it not good to try to break up our calories for the day? It is for me. :)