current program ending...now what?

Options
moran1917
moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
Hi Everyone.

I am looking for advice on what to do next. so let me tell you what i have been doing. I finished c25k. i then moved on to bridge to 10k and while i did that i did the 30 day shred. Saturday is my last run for bridge to 10k and Sunday is my last 30 Day Shred workout. While i have no problem with the running, i absolutely love running, i do struggle with the 30 day shred. i have little to no upper body strength- as in can do 2-3 full push-ups...10 chick ones. i had no trouble with the legs or abs workouts in 30ds, but the arms, planking, push-ups were murderous. this does not mean impossible, but it clearly needs some work.

I have gotten great results of 1-2 lbs of weight loss everyweek doing what i am doing. this is creating a little fear about switching it up. I mean can still get these results doing something new? i cannot afford a gym or a personal trainer. however, a couple of friends and me bought some body beach workouts and have burned each other copies. So i have Shaun T's Rocking Body and insanity, tony horton's p90x, chalean's turbo fire. what i want from a workout is cardio that will keep up my ability to run and sculpting that will help me with my chicken wing arms so i can do push-ups like a mad person. oh yeah and that it is actually possible for me to do and feel good about so i don't quit. I am still quite large at 5'7" 207 lbs. thanks for any advice.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    When I finished C25K, the reasonable thing (in my mind, LOL) was to run even more. So I signed up for a half marathon and trained for six months. Once the half was over, I took two weeks off then began training for the Warrior Dash. When I first began the WD training, I wanted to keep up my running too, so I started off with p90x in place of the weight training days. I didn't want to join a gym either, and this helped me stay focused but at home.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I recommend Ripped in 30. It's very similar to 30 Day Shred, but some different exercises and I think the explanations of the moves are better. I'm a huge Jillian Michaels fan because the circuit style workouts keep me motivated. Maybe you could incorporate HIIT (interval runs) into your current running program, or there's always training for a half or full marathon.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how about something like the 100 push up challenge? i happen to believe the things that we struggle in are the things would should work on bettering :happy:
  • moran1917
    Options
    is the ripped in 30 also a shorter program at about 25 minutes? cause then i could keep up my running. amazon didn't describe the ripped in 30 well.
  • moran1917
    Options
    the 100 push-up challenge. funny you would bring that up. i have decided to that whatever i choose with one of my mfp friends. our debate is whether we should go all out for full push-ups or chick out and do them on our knees!! my fit test was literally 2 full push-ups and 10 modified ones. hmmmmmm
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the 100 push-up challenge. funny you would bring that up. i have decided to that whatever i choose with one of my mfp friends. our debate is whether we should go all out for full push-ups or chick out and do them on our knees!! my fit test was literally 2 full push-ups and 10 modified ones. hmmmmmm
    i say go for the full unless you have shoulder or wrist issues or maybe do half full half knee?. just think of it like the C25K program. not sure where you started on that, but if you started at a place hat you could barely run and ended up being able to run 5K (and now 10K) straight, then the pushup challenge is going to be much the same.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am in week 3 of Ripped in 30--I started after my 30 Day Shred ended. I actually took 60 days for the 30DS, and am doing the same for RI30. I wanted to really conquer the moves while keeping up with other cardio, so I do 2 weeks per circuit instead of just 1. I know I will need to start other strength training after I finish...I am toying around with Insanity or P90X. I have also started reading _New Rules of Lifting for Women_, which I need to finish reading. There's a lot out there, it's just a matter of thinking about what your goals are...for me, it's defining muscles while building strength. Search on the forums--it's a good place to start.