any calorie counters that DO NOT exercise?!

Options
Now I don't want the speech about how working out is so good for you and stuff, I already know all the benefits. I am currently on 1300 a day (although my diary this week poorly reflects my efforts due to my monthly) and I don't work out. In fact, I hats it.

Any other dieter's who are just on food restrictions?? How has your success been?

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calorie deficit. You can still have a deficit without working out. I'll spare you the lecture. :smile:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You do not have to exercise to lose weight. Exercise changes the shape of your body, diet changes the size.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    Not speaking for myself, but I have a friend, and she has lost 30+ lbs in a year with diet alone. Her health doesn't always allow her to exercise. It can be done...
  • cjaharmon
    cjaharmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs last year not exercising. I won't lecture about why it is better to do it with incorporating exercising. But i did gain it all back when I did it that way.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Weight loss is about calorie deficit. You can still have a deficit without working out. I'll spare you the lecture. :smile:

My BMR is 1575 and I eat 1300 calories a day
    I definitely burn way more than I eat regardless; I'm a full time 2 year old teacher for 8 kids and run around alllllll day
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight without exercise, and the funny thing is, my body is smaller now than it was 10 pounds less without exercise. I also ended up gaining it all back. It can be done though.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Gaining it back is about the food you eat; not the lack of exercise.
  • rysprincess94
    rysprincess94 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband is currently on a 1300 calorie diet and not exercising as well. He has done this before and can usually lose around 25-30 lbs. until he plateaus and will either have to modify his diet further or begin some type of exercise. A client of his followed the same thing and lost like 75 lbs. I wish I could get away with not exercising, myself, but it keeps my pain in check. Good luck though!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) which is a diffused brain injury. Because of that, I was unable to exercise for 2 years and lost 75+ pounds. I did it by radically changing my diet.

I am now exercising as I am able (still very difficult to exercise because my mitochondria is broken - energy levels are not consistent) and I am still losing.

I agree with a previous comment that gaining it back has to do with what and how much one eats.

I also agree that exercise changes the shape and diet changes the size.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing about your success!
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1575 and I eat 1300 calories a day
    I definitely burn way more than I eat regardless; I'm a full time 2 year old teacher for 8 kids and run around alllllll day

That sounds like exercise to me!!! :bigsmile:
  • lanielee17
    Options
    weight loss without exercise is definintely possible but you will almost always gain it back. building muscle is what raises your metabolic rate and what will act in keeping the weight off after it is lost.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    weight loss without exercise is definintely possible but you will almost always gain it back. building muscle is what raises your metabolic rate and what will act in keeping the weight off after it is lost.

No....you keep it off by not returning to your old eating habits.....by eating at a maintenance level to ensure that you don't gain. It has nothing to do with exercise. Weight loss is caused by a calorie deficit (either restricting the amount of food you eat or exercising to create the deficit - either way works). Weight gain is caused by eating more food than you burn every day. It's that simple. Calories in, calories out. Yes, lean muscle is nice, but you can't just get in shape, have lean muscle and then eat whatever you want. You will gain weight if you eat over your TDEE, no matter how much muscle you have.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without exercise and just counting calories. And you can definitely keep it off if you continue being mindful of how many calories your new body needs vs how many you take in IMO. Your body shape may not be quite as firm and nice when you get to your goal, but you CAN lose the weight. I lost my first 10 lbs with the calorie counting alone, I had no interest in exercising at all and didn't plan on it. But then when I actually tried it (started VERY small and slowly worked my way up to more intense activities) I was hooked. I like losing inches off my body faster than with calorie counting/weightloss alone, and I like being able to eat more than my usual 1340 goal. :-)

Good luck everyone with whatever you choose to do. :-)
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am far from an exersize person, partly due to pain issues. I did no exercise in any way when i started 2 1/2 months ago. I was strickly calorie reduction. Even though my pain still exists, I walk 10-15 minutes a couple of times throughout my work shift 3-4 days a week now. My calories stay within what my doctor recommended 1200 minimum and 1800 maximum ADA based. I don't eat back my burnt calories unless I am below the 1200 for the day. I am pushing my 20 lb loss mark. I think I have made great changes in such a short time and feel better and everyone sees the difference. Start slow and work your way up. ANY progress or change in the right direction will give results if you are patient enough.