Spinning Class

Options
The "spinning" automated calories loaded in MFP indicates a 45 min session is only 400+ calories. I've always heard a spinning class is more like 800+ calories. Does anyone know since you can't measure it on the bike?

Replies

• uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My gym the bikes have speedometers and odometers... What I put in for spinning matches the bike give or take 40/50 cals. But machines usually overshoot... For average female spin class burns 400-600cals, ad male 500-700. Always depending on resistance, time and distance. I've noticed based on my info in mfp the cals burned are close to what machines say... Good luck... Best way to know is a hrm,
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I second a good HRM. Spinning is very subjective... you choose your own difficulty. (that's what's great about it...!) Machines... not so much... men are different than women too many variables.
  • luv4labs66
    luv4labs66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 600-800 cals during my spin class according to my HRM. It depends on how hard I push myself.
  • WiegandS
    WiegandS Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In about a 50 minute class where my instructor refuses to have the doors open and turn on the fan I burn AT LEAST 550 calories. On Average I burn about 600-650. I love spin. It's an easy way to bang out calories and saves you from the boredom and monotony of the gym.

When it comes down to it, the amount you burn comes down to the length of the class and the amount of effort you put in. Some days there is about a 150 calorie difference. You should get a heart rate monitor and go by that instead since its as close to an accurate calorie rating as you can get.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I usually average 10-12 calories per minute in a high intensity interval spin class.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    First, second an HRM.

Next, I can tell you that MFP calc gives me around 400 for 45 minutes but my HRM shows over 600 for the same time frame. I keep my heart rate in the upper range, periodically spiking over for a few minutes at a time.
  • BevbeMoore
    BevbeMoore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a Spin addict!! I take spin 4-5 days a week and I wear a sports watch with a heart rate monitor and calorie counter. Sports watches with the heart rate monitor on the chest are supposed to be the most accurate from what I am told. The classes I take are pretty intense with plenty of intervals that stress endurance and speed. On a good day my heart rate on the high end runs upwards of 150-160, although I did break 170 this week with one of my instructors UGH! I usually burn anywhere 800-1000 calories in an hour. I would highly recommend getting a sports watch, I hear Polar one the best, my watch is SportsLine which is pretty decent, you can get them at any sporting goods store or Walmart/Target etc in the sporting goods section.
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I took a 55 minute spin class yesterday and I burned 500 calories according to my HRM. I'd rather take the calories that MFP calculates for spinning for that duration, closer to 600-700!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I normally burn 400-500 cals for 60 minutes of spin according to my hrm. Like everyone else said though, it all depends on your effort and all that good stuff. Sometimes I'm bummed when i see how much I've burned b/c it feels like it should be so much more! Haha.