Need Pizza Sauce help...

Options
Sebidian
Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
I've been using Ragu PizzaQuick Traditional, but it is too sweet for me. I prefer a hearty flavor. Any suggestions on spices to add to this? Or any recommendations on another sauce? Thanks!

Replies

• SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm an advocate of 'clean eating' and I just picked up Jillian Michael's new book, Master Your Metabolism. She listed a few brands that she recommends with little to no processed chemicals and one of them was Newman's Own. I've tried it and they have 4 or 5 different flavors. It isn't sweet, but it is full of flavor. I highly recommend any of the Newman's Own products!
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    I use organic tomato paste to which I add warm water (easier to blend), oregano, basil, chopped garlic, a bit of salt and pepper, crushed hot red peppers, all to taste.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I use organic tomato paste to which I add warm water (easier to blend), oregano, basil, chopped garlic, a bit of salt and pepper, crushed hot red peppers, all to taste.

I do the same but use a sauce instead of a paste but I usually have 2-3 pizzas to make (family likes them). I also make my own crust (whole wheat) in my bread maker OR if it is just me, use whole wheat tortilla shells for the crust.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options

I do the same but use a sauce instead of a paste but I usually have 2-3 pizzas to make (family likes them). I also make my own crust (whole wheat) in my bread maker OR if it is just me, use whole wheat tortilla shells for the crust.

I usually make more than one as well (and my dough-not whole wheat though)and I find that tomato paste is usually less expensive, punchier in flavour and out of one of those litle 2floz (?) I have enough for two large pizzas.
    I've heard of the tortilla shell trick before but have never done it. Good idea though.
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I teach my kids to use tomato sauce (but we've used paste in a pinch).
    Then I just let them season as desired....
    Garlic
    Salt
    Italian seasoning
    Oregano
    Basil
    Red pepper (my fav).

They use this on regular pizza and the english muffin pizzas.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I teach my kids to use tomato sauce (but we've used paste in a pinch).
    Then I just let them season as desired....
    Garlic
    Salt
    Italian seasoning
    Oregano
    Basil
    Red pepper (my fav).

They use this on regular pizza and the english muffin pizzas.

We have done english muffins too...they are yummy. We have also taken refrigerator biscuits and flatten them out, put the sauce and toppings on one side, folded them over, crimped the sides shut with a fork and baked them like little pizza pockets. My kids really loved these when they were little. My son is now 17 and can down about 6 at once now :laugh: :laugh:
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I've done strombolis (at least that's what I call them).
    You buy a refrigerated pizza crust or frozen bread dough (thawed).
    Roll it into a rectangle, put sauce and toppings... Roll it up and pinch the ends closed.
    Cut a slice in the top to vent and bake!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This is the sauce recipe that I use. It makes lots so I freeze it in small containers.
    3-4 TBL olive oil
    1 med. onion, finely chopped
    1 TBL minced garlic
    4 TSP oregano or you could use Italian Seasoning
    1/4 C tomato paste
    20 oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 TSP salt
    pepper to taste

Cook onion in oil, add herbs then add garlic. Cook 2 minutes. Add paste. Stir & cook 1 min. Add crushed tomatoes, salt & pepper. Simmer 30-45 minutes till it is a consistency that you want for your sauce.
    It is best if made the day before you want to use it. The flavors come together nicely then.
    Can be refrigerated 5 days or frozen.

I'm also a fan of homemade crust. I use part white whole wheat and part unbleached white.
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I make mine with a can of fire roasted tomatos and add either dried italian herbs or if I have it on hand fresh basil and oregano and put it in the food processor and that is it.

would love it if anyone would like to share their recipe for homemade crust...been buying the premade stuff from trader joe's but would like to make my own (especially if you already have it in the database..LOL).
  • keiko
    Options
    Here is the crust recipe I use. It called for all white flour but I played with it till I got to these measurments and like how they turn out.
    You could also play with it and use regular whole wheat flour. While I like it in breads I find it makes the crust dense and I don't care for it.
    Pizza Crust
    1 ¼ C. warm water (120F)
    2 C white whole wheat flour
    1 ½ - 2 C white flour
    1 pkg (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
    ½ tsp salt

In large bowl combine white wheat flour, yeast, salt and warm water. Mix till well combined. Add white flour ½ C at a time. You will have to knead most of it in. I knead for about 5 minutes adding flour as needed.
    Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
    Punch down. Turn onto lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle.
    Bake at 425F for about 20 minutes.

I cut 1/3 off of mine to use for a 12 inch thin crust. The other 2/3 I use for a 12 in thick crust.

The key to getting a crispy crust is using a preheated pizza stone. I put mine on the bottom rack at 425 and let it preheat for 20-30 minutes. I roll out my dough onto parchment paper so I can just slide it onto the stone.

I also have a convection oven and love it for pizza. In under 10 minutes I can bake both of these pizzas in the oven at the same time. Thin crust on the bottom rack and the thick crust on a pizza pan on the middle rack.

I have not put it in the data base.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I'm an advocate of 'clean eating' and I just picked up Jillian Michael's new book, Master Your Metabolism. She listed a few brands that she recommends with little to no processed chemicals and one of them was Newman's Own. I've tried it and they have 4 or 5 different flavors. It isn't sweet, but it is full of flavor. I highly recommend any of the Newman's Own products!

Another plus on Newman's Own is that it is a Not-for-profit business. The money they make from their products goes entirely to charities.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Another plus on Newman's Own is that it is a Not-for-profit business. The money they make from their products goes entirely to charities.
    [/quote]

I didn't know that! All the more reason to buy!
  • ChefJeremyC
    ChefJeremyC Posts: 332
    Options
    Ever try amking your own sauce ? It takes a little more time but it's very worth it! Once you go homemade there is no going back.This is one of my favorite recipes........... Roasted Tomato Sauce

Waht you need is :
    3 lbs plum tomatoes,quartered
    1 large vadalia onion, haved and sliced
    1 TBLS balsamic vinger
    3 garlic cloves minced
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp fresh crack pepper

Preheat oven 375 .Toss all ingredients in large bowl.plce ingredints on to sheet pan and roast in oven until onions and tomatoes have a lightly brown look to them,about 50 - 55 mins.after done transfer to food processor or blender ,pulse mixture until combined and slightly chuncky.

Makes 5 servings.
    serving size 1/2 cup
    39 cal
    1g fat
    0g sat fat
    0g trans fat
    0 mg chol
    208 mg sod
    26g carbs
    1g fiber
    1g protein
    28 mg calc.

hope you like it.

142855.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • keiko
    Options
    JeremyC, thanks for sharing your recipe! It sounds really good. I might even leave it alittle chunky and put it over pasta.
    You're right about homemade sauce. Jar sauces do not have the flavor of homemade. Plus you don't get additives.
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    keiko...thanks for the recipe for the crust...cant wait to try it. (got my Husband a pizza stone for the BBQ grill for father's day) I know he will appreciate having fresh crust too. ...LOL..:laugh: just dawned on me that I am gonna make him use it on his day!
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I use tortilla as crust all the time. Love it when it gets crispy.

Thanks for the ideas also

:flowerforyou:
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Update - thanks to everyone who replied.

For those who do not cook (like me) I really like Mama Mary's traditional sauce. When I want thin crust I use Mission Plus Carb Balance tortilla, and when I want thinker crust I go with Boboli Whole Wheat.

I never found a store by me that sold the Newman's Own.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is the crust recipe I use. It called for all white flour but I played with it till I got to these measurments and like how they turn out.
    You could also play with it and use regular whole wheat flour. While I like it in breads I find it makes the crust dense and I don't care for it.
    Pizza Crust
    1 ¼ C. warm water (120F)
    2 C white whole wheat flour
    1 ½ - 2 C white flour
    1 pkg (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
    ½ tsp salt

In large bowl combine white wheat flour, yeast, salt and warm water. Mix till well combined. Add white flour ½ C at a time. You will have to knead most of it in. I knead for about 5 minutes adding flour as needed.
    Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
    Punch down. Turn onto lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle.
    Bake at 425F for about 20 minutes.

I cut 1/3 off of mine to use for a 12 inch thin crust. The other 2/3 I use for a 12 in thick crust.

The key to getting a crispy crust is using a preheated pizza stone. I put mine on the bottom rack at 425 and let it preheat for 20-30 minutes. I roll out my dough onto parchment paper so I can just slide it onto the stone.

I also have a convection oven and love it for pizza. In under 10 minutes I can bake both of these pizzas in the oven at the same time. Thin crust on the bottom rack and the thick crust on a pizza pan on the middle rack.

I have not put it in the data base.

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    One day we were out of sauce but I had 2 nice ripe tomatoes. I sliced them thin-medium and placed them on the dough, sprinkeled garlic powder and italian seasoning, and put the cheese on top. I was surprised at how moist the pizza was and it was delicious. Oh , yeah and I put fresh basil on top!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    keiko...thanks for the recipe for the crust...cant wait to try it. (got my Husband a pizza stone for the BBQ grill for father's day) I know he will appreciate having fresh crust too. ...LOL..:laugh: just dawned on me that I am gonna make him use it on his day!

My pizza stone was a great investment!! I love the crunchy crust it produces.