Too many seeds/nuts?

I can't stop eating them. I understand they're high in calories, but is there anything else that could potentially wreck my diet other than that? Too much poly and monounsaturated fat? How frequently should I be eating nuts?

Replies

• BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Hey, I love nuts too. :happy: I eat as many as I can fit into my fat macro, which is usually two servings. Poly and monounsaturated fats are good for you, but I'm not sure how much you would have to consume for it to be detrimental. I would be more concerned about any saturated fat that is in them, such as cashews. I personally think if you don't go too crazy than you should be fine. Hope someone else who knows more about it can add their two cents.
  • bankmind80
    bankmind80 Posts: 1 Member
    Unsalted roasted Almonds is the was to go for me...very high in protein and it doesn't take a lot of them for me to have that full / satisfied feeling. I find that almonds are a good snack food for late night cravings because they are a slow digest protein. Almonds typically will take 2-3 hours to digest. The longer something takes to digest...the better it's going to be for you late at night. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I still thought that you may find it to be interesting. Heres a chart that may help in the future. I'll post below...

DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS (approx. time spent in stomach before emptying)
    Water
    when stomach is empty, leaves immediately and goes into intestines,

Juices
    Fruit vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes.

Semi-liquid
    (blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min.

Fruits
    Watermelon - 20 min.digestion time.
    Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
    Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
    Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - digest in 40 min.

Vegetables
    Raw tossed salad vegetables - tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper, other succulent vegetables - 30 to 40 min. digestion. -

Steamed or cooked vegetables
    Leafy vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min. - Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - all 45 min. digestion time
    Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.

Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches
    Jerusalem artichokes & leafy, acorn & butternut squashes, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - all 60 min. digestion.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains
    Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats (first 3 vegetables best) - 90 min.

Legumes & Beans - (Concentrated Carbohydrate & Protein)
    Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min. digestion time
    soy beans -120 min. digestion time

Seeds & Nuts
    Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Digestive time approx. 2 hours.
    Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy
    Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - approx. 90 min. digestion time
    whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min. digestion
    whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours digestion time

Animal proteins
    Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
    Whole egg - 45 min.
    Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
    Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
    Chicken - 1 1/2 to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
    Turkey - 2 to 2 1/4 hours digestion time (without skin)
    Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
    Pork - 4 1/2 to 5 hours digestion time

(Editor's notes:
    Note1: raw animal proteins have much faster digestion times than the above times for cooked/heated animal proteins.
    Note2: The digestion times given are under an ideal situation of eating only one food, chewing well, and having efficient digestion, as is the case e.g. after a fast. They are digestion times for optimally healthy persons, with good eating habits. The digestion times are to a large part derived from Dr. Gian-Cursio's and Dr. Bass' practices.
    Digestion times are much longer on a conventional diet, and for persons with non-optimized digestive systems, or persons lacking in energy, and for meals with many ingredients put together haphazardly = not in the optimum sequential order.)