17 Day Diet

Options
Hi. I've been reading through some of the posts and pretty much everyone (of the posts I read) is mentioning that losing weight slowly is the best way.
But I've just started reading the 17 Day Diet book and in there it says losing quickly (in a correct way) is also actually good.
What do you think? Is this true? I would like to lose about 8-10kg, so not alot, but its been there for years and really really needs to go now.
Thanks.

Replies

• CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My motto is slow and steady wins the race... The slower I lose weight the easier it is for me to keep it off and not allow it to creep back up. Everyone is different though... It's all about finding what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I think that anything that will get you motivated and than keep, is what you should do....This is your journey and your lifestyle change, so do what works for you.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, it usually will come off quickly in the beginning of your journey and than taper to a more slow loss.

If you think the 17 day diet is for you, than do it...it is a calorie controlled plan, just like the rest of us who are trying to lose weight follow...calorie counting...but if you like the idea of having a battle plan than use it.

Good luck!
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It didn't take overnight to put the weight on, and it won't take overnight to lose it. I'll always stick by the tried and true method of eating healthy and at least 30 mins of exercise daily. I've lost 23kgs so far just by doing that alone. No fad diets, no pills, no under-eating.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    No, the only way you'll lose weight quickly if you start eating less then your bmr, go into starvation mode and f* up your metabolism and when you stop your 17 day diet you'll gain it all back and more.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Read a summary of the diet on webmd. Says the initial weight loss is just water and will come back once you get out of the first cycle. The author seems to think this detoxs the body or something?

Meh.

Eat less, exercise more, make better food choices. Only diet you'll ever need.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone in such a hurry to lose weight? Why do people feel the need to jump start their weight loss? We live in a society today that demands instant satisfaction. We need to learn to relax and let nature take its course.

There is a saying: Rome wasn't built in a day. Safe, lasting weight loss isn't going to happen in a day either.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The research says taking it off quickly is better (http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-things-experts-won’t-tell-you-about-weight-loss/#slideshow=slide4). If you've kept the weight on longer though it will be harder to take it off. Your body seems to get used to being at a set weight and it can be hard to get it to change. I seem to have set points where I stall for a few weeks and then start to lose again. I was stuck at 136 for over a month before I decided that simply watching calories and exercising wasn't enough. I'm hoping this will get me down to my next set point (127). From there I'll just stay with a modified version of the diet and do the final 12 pounds with that and increased exercise.
    On Sunday I will start phase 3 of the 17 day diet. It's not a fad diet. It's teaching me different habits. I'm eating more lean protein, whole grain, fruits and vegetables than I ever did before. I'm eating about half the carbs I used to and they are better carbs. I thought I was eating well before but I realize I depended way too much on flour and sugar. I feel better now. My cravings have changed too. Now I want peanut butter on multigrain toast (still forbidden until Sunday). Much better than a donut.
    It's not easy. You can eat all the protein and (non-starchy) vegetables you want but I promise all you'll want is a donut (or cookies, or bread) for the first few days. If you get past that initial withdrawal, you'll do fine.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    A. You don't go changing the world based on one poorly done study.
    B. Those that complied with the diet protocol lost more weight and kept it off. Has nothing to do with the speed.
    C. While the book does have ideas to help you eat better, it also adds hokum.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    While the 17 Day Diet is pretty legit, I don't find it maintainable. I like eating healthy out of EVERY food group and just take it day by day. It might be a good start, but you will stop losing the weight and then get upset that you are at a standstill. Why not incorporate each of the cycles and just stick with the guidelines? I wouldn't do each one separately.

Also, I personally tried the 17 Day Diet and I was hungry way more than I should be.
  • lesliea678
    Options
    I think that losing it slower is better. I have been dieting for the last past weeks and I have been doing great. I lost weight fast at the beginning of January but I also gained the weight back as quicker so I am just taking my time and doing it the proper way and so far my progress has been wonderful. Good Luck!:smile::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers did the diet and has lost 75 lbs and has kept it off in a year she has kept it off, she does the maintenance cycle through the week and eats whatever she wants on the weekends. She completed two whole rounds by the time she got to goal. I got the book and attempted it a few times and could not keep to it because I like to eat what I want in moderation. I think the book and by that I mean author has very good points and really focuses on eating a clean less processed diet. I think with any diet your going to always have a chance to gain weight back if you slip into old habits all the time, so whatever you decide good luck!
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have lost 54 lbs the slow and steady way. I have decided to try the 17 day diet for various reasons.
    1. I wanted to eat less processed foods
    2. I wanted to cleanse my body of all the bad stuff
    3. I was trying to eat low carb and not doing good on my own
    4. I read the book and it seemed like a good plan.

I'm on day 6 today I have lost 3 lbs already.

I have continued to eat my 1200 + calories a day but following the plan. I also am continuing my normal exercise routine. I miss carbs lol but I'm doing so well. I hope that this will help me not reach a plateau and I can push through to my goal of losing over 100lbs.

I plan on doing phase 1, 2, 3 in order and not going back to 1 unless I absolutely have to. I started a blog to post recipes and my progress. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • jfoltin
    jfoltin Posts: 1
    Options
    I made it through phase one and half of phase two before I started cheating. I had lost 17 pounds. After I hit a plateau, I got discouraged and without the support of my family to continue, I gave up. I wish I could get back on that wagon past day one, but it's a hard diet to follow. I liked it because it was extremely motivating due to the fast results. I hated it because my whole life revolved around food. I never did anything without thinking of what my next meal would be. There has to be a happy medium...
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I tried the 17-day diet last year and I couldn't maintain it. I was super hungry all the time. Switched to The New Abs diet and it was SO much better for me.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been reading through some of the posts and pretty much everyone (of the posts I read) is mentioning that losing weight slowly is the best way.
    But I've just started reading the 17 Day Diet book and in there it says losing quickly (in a correct way) is also actually good.
    What do you think? Is this true? I would like to lose about 8-10kg, so not alot, but its been there for years and really really needs to go now.
    Thanks.

If you read on, the book also says that the fast weight loss at the beginning is water weight, which makes sense, because in Cycle 1 you won't eat any refined carbs or starches. Refined carbs will make you retain water; cut them out, and you'll lose very quickly indeed, but like I said, it's water. One of the major benefits of C1 (at least to my mind) is the fact that it will stop carb cravings completely.

The 17 Day Diet is excellent, very balanced, very sustainable, and a genuine life style change. The real fat loss will occur in Cycles 2 and 3, and in those cycles you'll be looking at 1 to 2 lbs per week, depending on how much you have to lose. You will never eat at a calorie deficit (it's recommended that you eat a minimum of 1200 kcal per day, with unlimited protein and veg), and if you do that you will not be hungry.

I've been on the 17 DD since January and have lost 15 lbs. Slowly and steadily.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have found it quite hard. I think I just got to used to sitting down with my cup of tea and some chocolate... and then going back for more.... Oh dear.... That is really what I need to stop. I enjoy not feeling full and bloated. Can't say I've succeeded at it yet... Today is Easter Sunday, so I am going to enjoy my roast chicken with the trimmings and then go at it full force again. I think I have to give it a good and proper try and if I can't maintain it, then I'm just going to stick to my exercise and keep to eating healthy in general - but smaller portions. Its amazing how quickly we get used to a BIG plate of food, which we don't really need.
    xxx
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell the 17 Day Diet is another in a long line of high protein, low carb diets. People do experience rapid initial weight loss, most of it water.

Of course the author of the book will say it's healthy - he's trying to sell books. One of the most valuable lessons I learned from one my history profs was that everyone; even the most respected journalists, historians, health gurus etc; has an agenda and some level of bias and that the first question you have to answer for yourself when assessing the reliability of information is "what's the writer's agenda, who benefits?"

Over the years I've tried a great many "diets" only to have the weight come right back (and then some) when I resumed my old habits. Forget "diets", think lifestyle change - eat better, move more. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    the first question you have to answer for yourself when assessing the reliability of information is "what's the writer's agenda, who benefits?"

In the case of the 17 Day Diet the numerous people who finally lose weight when nothing else would work (I'm hypothyroid, so I now what I'm talking about) or lost large amounts of weight the healthy way and are keeping it off, because it is a lifestyle change and therefore sustainable (and I personally know quite a few of those).

It's only the first cycle of the diet that is low(ish) carb (you'll be eating around 100 g per day from fruit and vegetables) and high(ish) protein. During the following two cycles starches and refined carbs get phased back, together with portion control, which boils down to a balanced, healthy, sustainable way of eating.