Where does the fat actually go??

Options
LOL.. Ok I know this is a strange question please don't judge me for it lmao BUT.. whe we 'burn' fat where does it go? I don't quite get it.. Does it magically turn to water and we sweat it out? does it make it's way into our bowels and is disposed of 'naturally'?

I just want to know how our body actually gets rid of the fat once it has been burned or what have you.. Please help lol.. and once again I apoligise for the weird question.. just curious.. :)

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Fat burns off when used as energy and releases heat as a byproduct,
  • lenya_maria4516
    lenya_maria4516 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Body fat breaks down during a series of complex metabolic processes.

When you burn more calories than you consume, your body uses fat (triglycerides) for energy. This causes your fat cells to shrink. In turn, triglycerides are broken down into two different substances — glycerol and fatty acids — which are absorbed into your liver, kidneys and muscle tissue. From there, the glycerol and fatty acids are further broken down by chemical processes that ultimately produce energy for your body.

These activities generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature. The resulting waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs.

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327

It's not a stupid question at all, I had the same thought so researched the answer :)
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It is converted back into energy to use. It is kind of like have a gas can in the back of the truck with gas, when the tank needs more you use the gas can, same kind of thing with stored fat with fewer calories consumed than used.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Plate40.jpg
    So as you can read, you don't magically destroy the cells, but instead kind of empty them out :happy: the fat inside the cells is "burned" (used to make energy through metabolic processes) but not the cells themselves.

from Livestrong.com
    Photo Credit fat image by Leonid Nyshko from Fotolia.com

The number of fat cells you have in your body does not increase or decrease over time, rather the size of them increases or decreases. The number of fat cells a person has in her body is set by the time she goes through puberty. As an adult, you cannot get rid of your fat cells, but your diet and activity level affect the size of them. The volume of your fat cells depends on your overall body fat percentage. An increase or decrease in your body fat percentage makes these cells vary in size. Healthy weight loss and reduction of body fat both stem from healthy eating and daily exercise.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/256055-how-to-eliminate-fat-cells/#ixzz1rFDm4gV0
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm glad u asked this. I wondered too LOL
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    You don't grow new fat cells when you gain weight. They just increase in size therefore when you lose weight they shrink =)
  • HBL2012
    HBL2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    Haha, Yay Thanks guys :) Pleased I wasn't the only one wondering too lol.
    I actually think I understand the whole process now :D
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting, thanks for the article Mel
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Great info!
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: I found ...need to go to toilet more frequently ...and more so at night ...when you first start loosing weight ...and then get s better , lol !
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So, fat cells are formed by the time we reach puberty ........ Therefore, I gather those of us that are, say, big hipped may have more fat cells around the hips than our sisters?

With that in mind, does liposuction suck out fat cells? One would think so. But I have been led to believe that liposuction isn't necessarily permanent.

Anyone know the answers to this?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So, fat cells are formed by the time we reach puberty ........ Therefore, I gather those of us that are, say, big hipped may have more fat cells around the hips than our sisters?

With that in mind, does liposuction suck out fat cells? One would think so. But I have been led to believe that liposuction isn't necessarily permanent.

Anyone know the answers to this?

Yes it sucks out the fat cells, but not all of them, that is not possible nor wise. The problems arise when after the procedure, the patient does not adhere to sensible eating, in other words, they eat rubbish and junk all the time - they need to live a healthy lifestyle. If they do not, the remaining fat cells grow and the person once again is overweight.

Website below regarding liposuction:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/180450.php
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link Di3012
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    And here I was thinking that the fat just hid under my bed.

(I sort of envisaged puddles of fat lying in my wake, so was a bit grossed out. Feel a bit better now!)
  • kimsaprincess
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only person who wondered about this!! I thought it just ran away when I was sleeping and I'd wake up skinnier :laugh:
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Adipose_Industries_by_Julesdale.jpg
  • lokin4deer
    lokin4deer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I saw the nutrionist after my heart attack she told me fat cells empty out and stay in your body. The only way to get rid of them is liposuction. Also a person who was overweight and lost weight puts weight on easier and faster then an lifelong thinner person because they already have fat cells waiting there all they need to be is fed. At least thats what she told me.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    :wink: I found ...need to go to toilet more frequently ...and more so at night ...when you first start loosing weight ...and then get s better , lol !
    Same here.

Just drink water, work out, burn more calories than you consume and the fat is peed out!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread. Thanks for sharing all the information :)
    xxx
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    On a related note, does the body burn off fat evenly, from one area before it moves on to another, or does it depend on the person? I ask because I read once that fat burns off like an onion being peeled and that areas of the body where less fat is stored only appear to make progress faster than areas of the body where more fat is stored because it comes off evenly from all areas. I've always wondered if that analogy was accurate.