Is there such a thing as a good all round trainer?

Options
My trainers have seen more action in the last 3 months than in their entire life! They are 12 years old and getting pretty worn! I do a circuit class, zumba, home DVDs and have recently signed up for a 5km run. I did my first run on road yesterday and I really think it is time to invest in order to protect knees.
Can anyone recommend a good all-rounder? Or even a good shop with staff who know what they are talking about. I'm uk based. I haven't really done any research so I am not even sure on price. Not bothered about brand names.
Thanks!

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good running shops - you'll find one in most big towns. Mostwill do a gait analysis and fit you properly.

A good running shoe, properly fitted, will set you back a fair bit, but ultimately I've found it's worth it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    ps, you'd probably want to keep your running shoes just for running, and get a less expensive crosstrainer for all your other activities.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I have some fabulous new balance, I think model is wx1005 they are good for most exercise, you want to look for cross trainers in the store. I wear them for warmup / short runs in the gym BUT if you are running more than a few miles regularly you should have proper running shoes as cross trainers are designed differently to running shoes and you could end up with an injury.

Cross trainers are generally wider across the sole, and the toe end is rounded so you have a nice stable base for jumping around in aerobics, lifting weights etc.

Running shoes have a narrower sole and the toe is turned up as they are designed for forward motion only.

Hope this helps!!

Eta: just noticed you are in uk. Not sure where abouts you are but sportshoes unlimited in Bradford is great, they have running and cross trainers, and also sports direct have cheaper ones (mostly old ranges etc). For running shops up&running, sherunsheruns ate both good, you want somewhere that will put you on a treadmill and watch you run.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I run regularly so I went to the Nike store in London, got some advice and got fitted with a pair around £89.99
    Then went online to Sports Direct and ordered a similar pair in the same range at £30 on sale!

Crosstrainers are relatively cheap when on sale in Sports Direct but if you're unsure, talk to an adviser in a good sports store then buy them from wherever you like.

[Also, brands aren't that important but I've found some fit me better than others. For example, I can't wear Asics brand trainers because they're too narrow, Reebok have lumpy soles which do not agree with my flat feet but Adidas and Nike are my faves for style and fit. ]
  • MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks! Shoe shopping on Easter weekend! Yuck....can I log that as exercise! Great advice.