how do you know when your running shoes are done for?

Options
I'm starting to think that my normal running shoes *may* be losing a bit of their spring - but how do you know when it's time to bin them and get a new pair? Is there something I should look for, or can a running shop tell you, or do you just go by feeling?
I've had the shoes since last July but I wouldn't have thought I've put in enough miles to wear them out yet. Plus I have trail shoes which I wear too (they're newer and I don't have the same feeling about them, which is what's made me think).
All advice welcomed - these are my first pair of proper running shoes so no experience to go on!
Cheers!
F4

Replies

• sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump -
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    According to Runners World, 300-500 miles is the average shoe life. However, even if they sit in your closet, the soles will "rot" (lose their spring) after 3 years - and be pretty much worthless.

I wear minimalist shoes. I wear them until they get holes in the 2mm soles. :)

Here is a thread on it: http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/training-essentials-workouts/re-many-miles-pair-of-running-shoes
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Do the mimimilst shoes wear out quicker for the same amount of running?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that my normal running shoes *may* be losing a bit of their spring - but how do you know when it's time to bin them and get a new pair? Is there something I should look for, or can a running shop tell you, or do you just go by feeling?
    I've had the shoes since last July but I wouldn't have thought I've put in enough miles to wear them out yet. Plus I have trail shoes which I wear too (they're newer and I don't have the same feeling about them, which is what's made me think).
    All advice welcomed - these are my first pair of proper running shoes so no experience to go on!
    Cheers!
    F4

The cloth on the inside of the heel in my ones usually wears out leaving a gaping hole where the "stiffener" thingy sticks out, rubs on my heel and I end up with a blister that is bleeding by the time I get off my treadmill.

That is when I consider buying a new pair :D
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    500 miles, 300 if they get wet. Water breaks down the rubber very quickly. As the tops and soles lose form your running form with suffer.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I knew I needed a new pair when I started noticing my feet aching after jogging or stairmastering for a few weeks in a row. I had no idea how bad my old sneakers were until I laced up my new pair and took them for a run, wow, so much nicer and my feet don't ache at all.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    They seem to be lasting about the same amount of time on my feet. But it is important not to go there unless you are already running with forefoot or mid-foot landings, or are totally committed on giving up heel-striking. There are no magic shoes :)
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    500 miles, 300 if they get wet. Water breaks down the rubber very quickly. As the tops and soles lose form your running form with suffer.

How do you know when you've done 500 miles? Is there a hidden speedo? Hahaha
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have pretty good feet, so if they are sore/ache after a run, it's time for a new pair.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Lol. Well I hate to be that guy but you should always be tracking I all of your exercise either through here or through a notebook. This is important to keep challenging yourself and getting better. Say for example I run three miles a day. If I do this forever that isn't bad, it I should be getting stronger and improving my stamina so I should after a month change half those days to 5 miles or move up to very high miles and switch some days go sprints and throw in a rest day. This just makes sure you aren't just letting your body and fitness get stagnant. As you see your miles come up in the log add up the month or weeks and when you hit 500 retire those shoes for house or yard work or donate them to any number of the great charities that send them to poor villages throughout the world. Also with shoes how you store them makes a huge difference. They should always be stored at room temperature with moving air. Keeping them in a bag or in the garage during the winter will greatly shorten the lifespan of your shoes.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is....'you'll know"

Some people say 300 miles..some people say 750 miles...

For me? I'll go out on a run one day and you can almost feel them break....then I know.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    [How do you know when you've done 500 miles? Is there a hidden speedo? Hahaha

Log your training? :tongue:

Seriously though, keeping a training log is a great way to track your program and, like to food diary here, introduces a level of accountability (even if it's just to yourself). One of the beauties of logging your workouts is tracking your progress, whether it's comparing average HR from a year ago, how much you can lift etc.....your log, your goals.
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    They seem to be lasting about the same amount of time on my feet. But it is important not to go there unless you are already running with forefoot or mid-foot landings, or are totally committed on giving up heel-striking. There are no magic shoes :)

Its been years since I have been a runner and once my weight is down I am planning on easing into barefoot running.

...No magic shoes? (*bottom lip quiver*)
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    500 miles! That means I will need new shoes in 2035.
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options

How do you know when you've done 500 miles? Is there a hidden speedo? Hahaha

If you have a smart phone - Check out the Nike+ app.
    I love it, and it tracks everything for me, including each individual run and accumulative runs!
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Went for a 45 minute walk this arvo, and half way through i felt a pain under my foot. Blister seems to be forming. Thats my sign that its time for a new pair of shoes.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    i normally get about 300 or so on my shoes and I log my miles on them.

normally, my knees start to feel old. Then I know it is time to get a new pair.
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you will start to feel the shoe performing less and feet/knees/hips in more pain or have soreness.

For tracking, if you use Runkeeper (free), there is an add-in app called ShoeTracker that will allow you to setup multiple pairs of shoes (running/trail/minimalist) that you can track runs against. That way you have a better idea of when your shoes have about 300-400 miles on them.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Minimalist shoes have nothing to break down. They only have a sole that will eventually wear through. I have over 1400 miles running on asphalt on my vibrams and have extended their life several times by putting shoe goo on the bottom. They are still going strong and I expect to have over 2000 miles on them before they need to be replaced.
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    Minimalist shoes have nothing to break down. They only have a sole that will eventually wear through. I have over 1400 miles running on asphalt on my vibrams and have extended their life several times by putting shoe goo on the bottom. They are still going strong and I expect to have over 2000 miles on them before they need to be replaced.

Thats the best news I have heard all day. Vibrams are in my reward plan.