Running for the very overweight/unfit (alternative to C25K)

Options

Replies

• elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thank you Mark and Dave.... I started a run/walk program about 2 weeks ago, and it is so difficult for me that i just got completely demotivated within the first two weeks..... I couldn't get past day 2 of the program (running habit in 30 days) - This sounds so much more doable - thank you for giving me the belief that I can also do it!
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This is similar to the pattern I used but I increased by increments of 30 seconds instead of a minute. And I have stuck to 4 min run / 1 min walk for years. I have completed four half marathons with this same pattern. My hips like the constant change of pace. When I run consecutively, my hips tend to lock up. In the end, what matters is that you are out there moving.

Thank you for giving me hope!
  • This_Daddy_Rocks
    Options
    bump--awesome post!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I did something like you guys. I never really kept track, though. I'd run to some point like a driveway then walk awhile, run, etc. When I first started there was a lot of walking. I added distance and did slooooow jogging first. For me I needed to be out there an hour a day. I did my first 5K at 265 pounds and in 49:49. My last one was 115 pounds lighter and at 28:41. I ran my first half marathon a couple weeks back and it was great! The main thing is to listen to your body and have the right shoes!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This is great info for all beginning runners, not just very overweight ones. I think one of the biggest hurdles to becoming a runner is trying to do too much, too fast. It's important to keep the end goal in mind: I want to become fit. I want to stick with this and learn to enjoy it.

You won't become fit over the long haul if you compare your progress to other runner's progress. You'll just be frustrated and possibly convince yourself " I'm just not a runner."

A motivational speaker I once heard gave us a great phrase that I use when I get impatient at my own progress in any area of my life: Better=Good. Meaning as long as you are doing your best and making progress, that's good and nothing to beat yourself up about.

My only other comment. Stretch after you run. Running can do a number on your back, even if you're not heavy. An ounce of stretching is worth it to avoid injury!
  • wellingfamily507
    wellingfamily507 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Great post thanks for the info, I am planning on doing my first 5K begining of May, and am excited for it, but was feeling a little discouraged, thanks for the great mortivation, and for reasuring me that my pace is my pace and it's good enough for me!
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the c25k now. I didn't download the app, I'm just doing it from instructions on a website. The website recommends repeating weeks if you are not ready to move on. So far I've been able to keep up (I was already pretty fit from a year of Zumba) but the next step - a 2 mile run with no walk breaks - is pretty daunting.

About 17 yrs I decided I wanted to run and did something similar to c25k and what you've written above, though I had no thought out plan. I just started by counting steps (it never really occurred to me to keep track of minutes on my watch). I would walk 100 steps and run 10 (sadly that was about all I could do) and gradually increased the running and decreased the walking until I could run 3 miles. I never tried to go further because that seemed a good workout and I didn't really have any more time.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I fall into the "very overweight" and unfit category. I started at 330 and when I got around 315 I decided I wanted to run. Mostly because my BFF had started running and I wanted to do it with her. I started with the C25K and realized pretty quick it moved faster than the work my body needed, so I took Week 1 of C25K and repeated it about 6 times. I progressed several weeks in and hit another hurdle where I couldn't go for as long as they wanted me to. I needed more walk breaks and I couldn't run for more than a minute and a half.

But even though when I started I could jog about 25 seconds at a very slow pace of 4.1, by the time I'd been doing it for 8 weeks, 3 times a week, I was at a 4.4 and running for 1.5 minutes and doing miles under 19 minutes. That seemed like almost a miracle. I'm at 297 now but my legs and endurance are stronger than they've been since I was in high school.

The truth is, it's hard carrying 300 pounds around, let alone asking it to run! But it's not impossible, it just takes longer and requires more patience and faith that you will improve and it will get easier and it won't feel as terrible as it does right now. The pay-offs are HUGE. I feel awesome. I wouldn't trade that, not at all. I'm running in my first 5K at the end of April and while I will be walking a lot of it, I'm determined to do half of it at a jog/run.

I had pain - I still have pain sometimes, in the muscles and only occasionally around my ankle and knee. I hit the sauna for 10-15 minutes after every workout though to get the blood flowing to my tired muscles and if I still hurt when I go home I take some ibuprofen and ice the troubled spots. There were a few nights I soaked my aching feet in a hot salt bath, but I haven't experienced the kind of pain that needs that much help in more than a month.

I've kind of veered off the C25K lately though. I'm having trouble for running more than a minute and a half straight and when I'm about halfway done I am exhausted and need to walk more. Instead I've been doing 30 minutes alternating running 1 minute, walking 1 minute. I've done this for two weeks and my "recovery" time in between running has decreased. I'm no longer winded after walking about 30 seconds. Next week I'm going to decrease my walking to only 30 seconds. My hope is that in a few more weeks I won't need to walk anymore and just run straight through.

Good luck to everyone and thank you for starting this thread! It's really wonderful to hear everyone's thoughts.
  • Ddubs22
    Ddubs22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    saving for later thanks
  • MikesMuffin
    Options
    Thanks for this :) I use the treadmill at the gym but so far only with walking, going from steady to brisk. I'm going to try this once I go back after the holidays. x
  • Gill_L
    Gill_L Posts: 69
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I have saved it to print out later :)
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    wow this sounds great, thanks for sharing, heres to all us future runners :drinker:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    This is good info. thanks for posting. I am going in for knee arthroscopy tomorrow morning and hope to start a bit of running in about 3 weeks. I've signed up for Race For Life in June, I hope to run at least half of it.
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bumpin' bumpin'
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Well I am 320 and last year had a knee scope with Meniscus repair and was told I would someday need a knee replacement. I have lost 40 lbs and feel much better, knee is still a little achey at times.
    My quesiton is has anyone tried this with a history like mine? How did you do?
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    WOW! This is completely awesome! I have been doing a lot of walking for a while, and today I tried your method: Walk 4 Run 1. IT WAS FANTASTIC!! At first I felt completely like the Tin Man, but after about the third time it was time to run, things began to get more comfortable, and before I knew it, that minute was over! But after about 25 minutes, it started to pour, so I had to come inside. Just waiting for the rain to subside and then I am going to go out and finish the hour! THANK YOU!!!
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump thank u brilliant info!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Another note regarding Pace... I only keep track of my pace because of my goal to run a marathon. It has a time limit, none of my other runs do.

You should be running at a pace where you are comfortable. You may find that it is different depending on the duration of your run, how your body feels, air temperature, how stressful your day was or a whole host of other things. I tend to trail off on longer runs (start out at a 9:30/mile pace and finish around 11:00/mile). This is comfortable for me, is way too slow for an athlete, and is a little fast for others.

I have found that if I try to race myself to keep a set pace, I forget about running mechanics- steady breathing, eyes forward, good form, etc. This is generally when I feel the aches and pains the next day. If I concentrate on the mechanics, my run is smooth, enjoyable and I feel good when I am done. Generally I am pretty close to where I want to be as well regarding my pace.

My only rule of running is this- Finish what you say you are going to do! I am running 13 miles this weekend (dry run for a half marathon in 3 weeks). Success to me this weekend is to run, walk or crawl 13 miles- whatever it takes, I will finish 13 miles!

Finally, it's gotta be fun for you to do- so running 1 or 2 driveways fast then running slower to catch your breath (running term is 'Fartlek'- translates to 'Speed Play'), running different routes, running on a nature trail (my favorite) is all good stuff- just gotta get out and enjoy the fresh air!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ... At first I felt completely like the Tin Man...

Love it!! I know that feeling well!