Foods to fight inflamation?

Options
So, what foods are really good at fighting inflamation? I would really like to add foods to my diet that help decrease inflamation but not sure where to start. Thanks.

Replies

• 411lisa
    411lisa Posts: 1
    Options
    All vegetables and fruit have antioxidants . Some have more than others so do some homeword on Words like "superfood" or "superfruit". Antioxidants help to fight inflammation by attacking the free radicals in your body. Free radicals are bad and are the cause much inflammation. So eating LOtS of vegetables is good.
  • soonernick
    soonernick Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I take a milk thisle supplement. Do your homework about it though. there are some good and bad things said about it.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is said to help with inflammation. I don't know about specific foods though... good luck to you...
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Fresh pineapple has an enzyme that reduces inflamation. I have heard omega-3s, most berries, and aloe vera juice also reduce inflamation.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Almonds, green tea, dark chocolate, blueberry/pomegranate/acai juices all help. (Go easy on the dark chocolate of course)
  • Altandra
    Altandra Posts: 8
    Options
    Avoid nightshades like peppers and eggplants.
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Cherry Juice is fantastic!!!! I buy it in the dairy section with the other juices. It costs about $20.00 month. I take 2 table spoons mix in 6oz of water, heat and drink warm before bed. Has worked wonders in the past for me!!!! Google benifits of Cherry Juice. It is pretty fantastic! Good luck
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Avoid nightshades like peppers and eggplants.

Yes. This. Potatoes and Tomatoes also fall into this list.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62
  • illecl
    illecl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are lots of websites that talk about anti-inflammation diets. Low-sugar and low (bad) fats is important. Healthy oils like olive oil, fish oil, flaxseed, etc. are good. Sugar is the most important thing to avoid. It also involves eating foods that don't have alot of additives. Lean types of protein too.

I felt better quickly after giving up sugar (for the most part).

Carol
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    foods with Omega 3 oils (canola oil, fish - sardines, mackerel, salmon, tuna), nuts and seeds (esp. walnuts, almonds), cranberries, grapes, cherries, brocolli, cocoa powder. Avoid high fat foods - cheese, fatty meats, and full fat dairy products - as they fuel inflammation.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Any fruits, veggies, nuts, fish, and grass feed meat will help. Pretty much whole foods. But most importantly to keep inflamation down reduce your intake of refined carbs and most importantly SUGAR (any type, natural or refined, artificial or "real").
  • rr430rd
    rr430rd Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Omega 3 fatty acids like salmon, walnuts and flaxseed are good for inflammation. If it is joint inflammation eat cherries or drink cherry juice.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I just had surgery and the doctor recommended lots of pineapple...good for inflamation and bruising. They even make some herbals that help. Bromalain & Arnica
  • tjdimplez
    tjdimplez Posts: 11
    Options
    This a topic close to my heart because I had problems with inflammation. After much research and trial and error here are somethings that helped me. Some foods that help with inflammation are Omega3 rich foods, Pineapples, Broccoli, & spinach. I would include those items every chance I got in my diet. Also fasting helps.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There are lots of websites that talk about anti-inflammation diets. Low-sugar and low (bad) fats is important. Healthy oils like olive oil, fish oil, flaxseed, etc. are good. Sugar is the most important thing to avoid. It also involves eating foods that don't have alot of additives. Lean types of protein too.

I felt better quickly after giving up sugar (for the most part).

Carol

^^^^this
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Most Anti-inflammatory eating plans are focused on lean proteins, good fats such as coconut oil and olive oil, lots of green leafy vegetables and fruits and non-gluten grains.

Removing dairy, night shade (fruits / vegetables), gluten containing grains (especially wheat) and sugar alleviate a lot of inflammation.

I know some people have had to cut out eggs also.
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bummpidy Bump to read later
  • TurnagainWoman
    TurnagainWoman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi hsrunningmom,
    I've been studying about inflammation. As others have said, fruits and veggies are excellent additions to your diet. But there's more to it than that. I now believe that what you need to AVOID might count more than what you ADD, because all the good food in the world can't cancel out the damage caused by a high intake of processed carbs. This is explained in excruciating detail in Barry Sear's book "The Zone Diet". The bottom line is that excess carbs and/or calories in a day cause your body to produce excess insulin, which triggers the production of inflammatory prostaglandins. He recommends a carb to protein ratio of 4 to 3. This became surprisingly real in my life, when I became diabetic,:sick: and my doctor put me on the Southbeach Diet - avoiding all the "evil white foods", like sugar, salt, flour, fat, rice and potatoes, plus adding the fresh produce and Omega 3s. Not only did I lose over 40 pounds, I was stunned when my asthma of 40 years completely went away. My allergies subsided. The pain in my muscles and joints diminished. The red rash on my face totally disappeared. And my blood sugar returned to normal, without medication.:happy: As I became less careful, the weight came back. So did all the inflammatory symptoms. I learned my lesson, and I'm happy to have joined this excellent website today. Here's hoping for both of us and others, delicious, inflammation-free meals, and painless results.:flowerforyou:
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wow! Such wonderful information and a lot to take in and absorb. It's good to know that I already have a few things already incorporated into my diet like the coconut and olive oils and Omega 3s. I know I don't get enough fruits and vegetables so I'm going to have to make an effort on that. My doctor wants to check for a gluten alergy so I can't give any of that up until after the test. I know ther are other things mentioned I'm going to have to look into. Thank you so much for all the information!
  • frumpytofit
    Options
    bump...