Fairly new to strength fitness & need some advice

Options
fdlafon
fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
I have been getting cardio workouts in for quite some time now, and every so often, I add in some kettle bells, as it was introduced by a co-worker. I do enjoy the kettle bells, but I am really interested in starting to tone!
Can someone help me with some specific workouts for toning my inner and outer thighs, and core?

I've never done strength workouts before, so I am not up on all of the names of everything, but I'm a google pro, so I can find them. :)
I got a suggestion of doing planks and squats from a co-worker, but there has to be more out there!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts =)
  • fdlafon
    Options
    off to find out what deadlifts are . . . thanks wellbert, I appreciate the suggestion.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please watch a lot of videos/read a lot of junk on squats and deadlifts. Proper form is super important.
    Start light, too.

You might want to check out a book for a whole program - like Starting Strength or New Rules.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please watch a lot of videos/read a lot of junk on squats and deadlifts. Proper form is super important.
    Start light, too.

You might want to check out a book for a whole program - like Starting Strength or New Rules.

^^^^^Absolutely this above.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Buy a couple sessions with a good personal trainer and have them teach you compound lifts.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    P90X's core synergistics routine is a decent core work out too, if you can get your hands on the 1 video.
  • glbragg
    glbragg Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Squats and Deadlifts are the two main exercises. They are entire leg and core workouts. If you want to add another exercise then consider lunges.
  • fdlafon
    Options
    Getting a few lessons with a personal trainer is a great idea! I'll have to look into that, and see how expensive it is.

I will definitely start light, I don't want to hurt myself.

How many days a week do you do strength workouts vs. cardio? Or do you all do both?
    I'm trying to put together a normal workout regimen, so I know how much time I need each day for workouts.

Also, how many reps are good to start with?