Army Folks

Options
Reaching out to myfitnesspal folks. Been trying to enlist in the Army for the past 6 months. First with the ARNG and now the Reserve. Ended up at MEPS and they decided to DQ requesting a waiver. Waiver was disapproved. At this point I think it is a game of "who you know." Wanted to reach out and see if anyone who has some reach (read: POWER!) that would be willing to stick their neck out for me. Please contact me for more info or ask questions here. Personal email baxgilter at hotmail dot com. Thanks!

- JoAnna

Replies

• kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have no power, I am just a lowly private/cadet unfortunately.

I'm not sure if the 'power' part would help you but the best person to talk to would be your recruiter. If they don't personally have the reach they might know someone....

May I ask what your waiver is for? (if you don't want to post on here you can privately message me). It probably depends on that, As I'm sure you know the Army is downsizing and so it's a lot harder to enlist.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    They are cutting all forces right now. Unfortunately, unless you have something they REALLY want, it's going to be hard to get in, especially with an exception.
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also curious for the reason you DQ'd. Also, where are you from?
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I deployed to Bahgdad with the 101st ANG Civil Engineers - not saying anybody there would be overly helpful in getting you recruited, but I could get you in touch with LTC Vashon.

That is, if you come to your senses and realize how much better the Air Force is than the Army!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm a sergeant first class, active duty. The army is currently downsizing due to mission requirements not being what they use to be a few years ago. Couple that with the fact the economy is in the toilet and the Army gets to be very selective about who joins. If you are trying to request a moral waiver I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm sorry to be so blunt but that's how it is.

This year the army is even holding boards to involuntary seperate soldiers who they believe can't offer anymore to the army or don't meet the standards.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My husband is retired Army National Guard and his unit was letting go of a lot of people. They would've had to reenlist while they were deployed to get a spot in the unit and the ones who didn't couldn't. He did his 6 years and got out last year.
  • Stymie977
    Stymie977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im a 16 plus year active duty vet that just finished a recruiting tour about 2 years ago, and am still in contact from people from my old office. My office was and still is one of the top producing offices in the country, if there is a way to put you in the folks in that office can do it, no matter where you live. Message me with all your details, and I will get you some answers, and get you in if at all possible.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Also curious for the reason you DQ'd. Also, where are you from?

So the waiver is for hx of depression. Long story short, my dad was killed when I was ten, my mom stuck me in counseling and they treated me with meds. My mom had control of my treatment till I was 18. Once I graduated I never questioned it until a few years ago why I was even on meds! Stupid me obviously. Ive been off them for almost 3 years and without counseling forever it seems. Never done better, lost 82 pounds, antidepressants are known for causing weight gain, etc. Im 28 now so the fact that I was treated for so long is really the issue. I realize the current climate, increased suicide, PTSD, troop draw down, etc. I got a psych eval proving I am fine to serve and that I should have never been treated with meds or diagnosed with depression. Sadly it didn't help. This is the way abbreviated version.

Im from Maine
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I deployed to Bahgdad with the 101st ANG Civil Engineers - not saying anybody there would be overly helpful in getting you recruited, but I could get you in touch with LTC Vashon.

That is, if you come to your senses and realize how much better the Air Force is than the Army!

Sadly the big fat tattoo on my neck keeps me out of every branch of the service but the army.
  • shelbyterry5
    shelbyterry5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hmm, thats odd... two of my girlfriends just finished basic and i go to meps in 5 more pounds... but i guess i didnt need a waiver. Welp, good luck!