Really Beginner Running Advice - Pain?

Options
So I'm a little frustrated. I would LOVE to be a runner, and I think I can be, the only thing holding me back is an odd pain. This happens every time I've attempted to start running (my many attempts at the C25K).

The pain is a sharp, twisting pain that starts in my left mid-calf on the side and extends down to my ankle. It's okay for about the first 5 minutes, but after that, running or walking, it just becomes excruciating. I will attempt to push through but it just gets to the point where I'm limping badly and I feel like my leg will just give out. This is only after 15 or so minutes!

I am a severe underpronator with extremely high arches. My podiatrist was appalled because its something I should have had inserts for as a child to shape my foot properly or something. Anyway, I have custom sport inserts designed by my podiatrist with good shoes, which fixed my legs going numb (another hurdle for my running dreams) :tongue:

I'm frustrated because I'm not out of breath, and I FEEL like I could run much longer. Now if this is just a case where my poor weak legs can't hold up my round, wobbly body, I guess that's okay and it will go away with time? Am I just being a wuss and this is totally normal?

Any advice from more experienced runners would be helpful! Thanks!

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Is it your inner ankle or outer ankle? I have been battling inner ankle pain while running. Even when my ankles don't hurt or aren't swollen, I get this odd pulling aching in my inner lower calves. Eventually it's been getting better, but I am not running as much as I would like to. The first time I tried to push through it, I really hurt my ankle and had to take a month off from running, so I would caution against pushing through the pain.

I do use ankle braces if I have an off day. I got a third set of inserts that made me under pronate which caused a huge amount of swelling in my outer ankle. I used the first two inserts now. So through trial and error, I can run three days a week without too many problems now.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Definitely outer ankle. And yes! When it doesn't hurt (the first 5 minutes or so) its a very odd pulling sensation, not bad enough to be uncomfortable but certainly noticeable.

I haven't noticed swelling yet, but... sadly my ankles always look a little swollen :grumble:
  • Sneadt2174
    Sneadt2174 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I feel your pain. I started a new walk/ run program. I had previously been walking with my co-workers twice a day 5 days a week. Last week I started to have pain in the front of my leg. The biggest change for me was to be fitted for a new pair of walking shoes. I tried to walk through the pain, but I don't won't to do more harm than good. I think I need to incorporate rest days and stretching before and after walking.
  • trogers802
    trogers802 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Some pain is normal when you start running but it should not be that bad. First you should see a sports DR. To make sure it is not serious. It sounds to me you need to stretch more. Maybe find a good yoga instructer and tell them what is going on and they can give you some good stretches. Then try to run on softer surfaces. I have run most of my life and it is an awesome experience finishing races. Don't give up on it yet. Running is alot of work and training but very rewarding when you reach your goal.