better than WW

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Don't do WW. I did WW myself for months before discovering MFP. MFP is 100x easier and I've gotten better results, and a better outlook on exercise and everything along with it :)

I had fantastic results on WW. Not so much on MFP. Different strokes for different folks. Just sayin'.
  • lmrichey
    lmrichey Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree I tried WW and didnt lose very much this time I am losing a solid pound a week! I think they give you too much on WW because why would they WANT you to lose weight.... how would they make money if you got to goal quickly???? Keep doing MFP it really really works! PLAIN and simple Calories in versus calories out! Not rocket science!! Good luck everyone!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    oh yeah...forgot to mention that she has lost over 40 pounds and gone ahead and given me all her "fat clothes"....which I appreciate, but now I'm even more motivated to lose my weight.

Gave you her fat clothes Oh thats just so low what kind of a friend is that I did WW the old version I tried the new version and was not successful I have lost 12 lbs so far since Feb with MFP. This sight is awesome, It was my ahhh haaa moment. Who knew counting calories would work LOL its so logical!!
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    MFP is something I think I can continue with indefinitely for maintance. I can usually lose my weight, it is getting into the maintance phase that bothers me. WW is more like a diet with restrictions. On MFP I want to keep my numbers in check! Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • cwe1229a
    cwe1229a Posts: 34
    Options
    i came to mfp from ww after being with weight watchers for a year. i lost about 25 + pounds thanks to them, but after joining mfp and seeing exactly how much calorie intake i am expected, fat, fiber, ect, i feel like myfitnesspal is far more helpful in me losing weight. i've only lost two pounds here, but i've only been here for almost two weeks! i didn't start losing on ww until after three weeks : ) and i saved money by switching!
  • airica26
    airica26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers a few years ago and personally I like MFP much better. First of all MFP make you more aware of your nutrition. On WW you could eat marshmallows and diet coke and still stay in your point where MFP keeps you aware of your intake of sugar, carbs, etc, which makes it easier to adjust your diet when you hit a plateau. Also, with WW their database of food sucked. I found that every time I had to add in food because it was not there whereas MFP always has it in the database.

Plus not paying $20 a month is a plus for a better product.

Overall I was losing about 2 lbs a week on WW and only 1 per week on MFP but I feel like the slower I go the more likely I will be to keep it off this time.
  • jkq2012
    jkq2012 Posts: 1
    Options
    I switched from WW....the education you receive about nutrition here is way better than what you get on WW
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I am currently thinking about joining WW, i've been on MFP for 3 weeks and at first i lost, but now im gaining and i am still staying under my calorie goal.....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW....the education you receive about nutrition here is way better than what you get on WW

In what way?
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have also done WW and I feel actually counting my calories provides more ammunition to maintain this for the rest of my life. You become much more aware of what you are eating and what it will cost you. With WW points I don't feel you really know. I'm kinda anal and need the real information, so counting my actual calories (no matter which program you use) make more sense. It's something I can maintain once I reach my goal. WW would get old, especially with maintenance.
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't lose 2lbs at the end of the week, don't join WW against your wishes.

It's your life you are talking about, do what you want with it, including MFP. WW costs money. I'd tell your friend, "if you really want me to join, then pay for me."

^^^ I second this
  • itsall4younow
    Options
    Use the 40$ plus dollars per month you would spend on weight watchers and buy yourself wholesome good foods to help your journey.

I have been off and on weight watchers for years, and wish I would have discovered MFP way sooner. On weight watchers I was always calculating and worring about points. The website and app were never user friendly. The meetings were people just complaining.

Do what works for you. But if you put 100% into MFP, theres no reason it wont work as good if not better then weight watchers.

Best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with WW. It's just a different way to motivate yourself. The online is a waste for me, but the meetings can be very motivational at itmes. I like MFP because most everything is in the data base and I can track things along with calories.

The fact about losing weight is food in moderation, portion control, and get moving, Most of us sit too long at work and in front of the TV when we get home. My hurdle is maintaining. I want to go back to old habits. I eat too much at a time.
  • Lacho84
    Lacho84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW, this site is alot better, and cheaper.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    save your money and stay on MFP. I was a WW member and lost successfully on the old plan. When it changed to pro points I gained over a stone gradually - losing one pound, gaining 2, losing half gaining one etc. My leader had no idea why I couldn't lose weight (came up with some pretty lame reasons though) & I was always hungry - I followed the plan religiously and did lots of walking. I finally admitted defeat about three months ago and told my leader I was quitting (I was a helper at the meetings). Tried SW for three weeks and also gained weight, then found MFP by accident, so far lost 4lbs which for me is very impressive, I think I eat a lot better now and I am very rarely so hungry I would eat my pet rabbit as soon as I walk in the front door (which I was many many times on WW & SW)
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I quit ww and used the money I spent on the monthy pass to join a gym instead of going to meetings and sitting there talking about food! This site is free and does the same thing as ww! Good luck to you!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've done WW vicariously through friends, and found this to be way easier. Feel free to add me!
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! I did weight watchers and my God it WORKS.. BUT... it's depressing. Constantly counting and weighing and you're so limited with weight watchers with the points system. I'm doing Lite n Easy and that works brilliantly, I eat soooo much but MFP is what really motivates me, seeing how much I've consumed and knowing how much I should burn is amazingly helpful. Weight watchers made me depressed, and broke.

**EDIT**
    Obviously you have to track you food anyway on but with MFP at least pretty much EVERYTHING is listed for you lol So easy.
  • rocketqueen81
    Options
    I used WW when I first started, then used both MFP and WW together. I eventually cancelled my WW as I found MFP has a much larger food database and is easier to use and faster to track. With WW I found I had to create new foods all the time as the database is not as extensive and convenient as MFP. Plus MFP is free. :-)
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have not used WW but know some people that are using it. I have been using MFP since last summer and find it to be an awesome free (repeat FREE) tool to track calories in and calories out. I log my workouts, my food and my water every day... I have lost weight and maintained that loss... I have attained my goal and still use mfp to track calories because it is easy and has become second nature...