Will I gain 25-40 lbs???

pannellkat
pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

This morning I had a procedure done called a cervical epidural injection. I was put to sleep and I had 4 long needles poked through my neck area to relieve some inflammation due to a car accident injury a year ago.

Any-Who...of course being the person I am, I read up on line about the side effects of this procedure and you always hear the horror stories time after time but 8 out of every 10 people who had this procedure done ,has claimed that this has caused them to gain 20-45 lbs since the injections! Thats heavy!!

I'd hate to think that after all this hard work I am putting in that this will happen to me. I had to do the injections to relieve my pain. Maybe I shouldn't be reading all these stories on line, you always see the bad reviews usually. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I cannot imagine gaining that much weight...I would go into depression.

Replies

• MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Hey there. I don't really know anything useful about the procedure you had, but I can say don't let that get you down. I have lost 15 pounds. I've been stuck here for a while. About a month ago I was put on medications that typically cause a 50+ pound weight gain in over 80% of patients. If I don't take the medication, I will die before the summer is up. It's that simple. So I'm just going to make the best of it and see what happens. Granted, I have been working harder than usual and just maintaining, but I bet if both of us put our minds to it, we can beat it. So just try not to worry about it too much, don't let it get you down. Let's just keep on working and we can do it! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • pannellkat
    Hey there. I don't really know anything useful about the procedure you had, but I can say don't let that get you down. I have lost 15 pounds. I've been stuck here for a while. About a month ago I was put on medications that typically cause a 50+ pound weight gain in over 80% of patients. If I don't take the medication, I will die before the summer is up. It's that simple. So I'm just going to make the best of it and see what happens. Granted, I have been working harder than usual and just maintaining, but I bet if both of us put our minds to it, we can beat it. So just try not to worry about it too much, don't let it get you down. Let's just keep on working and we can do it! :smile: :flowerforyou:

I appreciate the support. Thats why I love this site, lots of support. And your right, I dont know anything about these people that are writing these reviews on line, maybe they are just couch potatoes and eating more than normal. Only time will tell and in the meantime, I will do my best! Thanks!
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Wow. You really have little control over whether or not you will gain weight because of the shots. You do have control over what you eat and how much you exercise. Just keep with your routine and stay off the scale for a while to avoid being discouraged.
    Have you asked your doctor about possible weight gain and how to avoid it? I know steroids can cause weight gain ... Just start working your muscles really hard, and maybe you 'll put on muscle? All kidding aside, see what your doc says.
    Good luck.
  • pannellkat
    Wow. You really have little control over whether or not you will gain weight because of the shots. You do have control over what you eat and how much you exercise. Just keep with your routine and stay off the scale for a while to avoid being discouraged.
    Have you asked your doctor about possible weight gain and how to avoid it? I know steroids can cause weight gain ... Just start working your muscles really hard, and maybe you 'll put on muscle? All kidding aside, see what your doc says.
    Good luck.

Thanks! I plan on keeping up my routine but I'm bummed today because I had to fast since midnight so when I finally got out of surgery I settled for something quick and unhealthy, chinese food! lol. I had shrimp and broccoli with chow mein and tofu but I could imagine what they sauteed everything in, not to mention all that sodium and now I have only 62 cals left for dinner and I cant even burn calories to eat dinner because I am soooo sore. Oh well. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member

I appreciate the support. Thats why I love this site, lots of support. And your right, I dont know anything about these people that are writing these reviews on line, maybe they are just couch potatoes and eating more than normal. Only time will tell and in the meantime, I will do my best! Thanks!

That's the spirit! :smile: I'm sending you a friend invite, if you want. In case you ever need to vent. haha. I'm always here. Best of luck on your weight loss journey! Mind over matter...
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    If this is the same as a lumbar epidural injection, where they shoot steroids into the epidural space around the dura membrane in the spinal canal, I can speak from experience. No, I did not gain weight due to the shot, and I went through the series twice 4 years apart. And, I know several folks who've had this procedure and none have gained weight due to the procedure. Weight gain MAY be due to lack of exercise due to the pain of the injury. I think the key is to make sure you are doing exercises that don't exasperate the injury. And, if your doctor hasn't written you a script for PT, have him do it, and ask the PT to show you approved exercises, with the correct form and to advise what exercises NOT to do. I found out the hard way this is an important question to ask. Good luck!!
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    If this is the same as a lumbar epidural injection, where they shoot steroids into the epidural space around the dura membrane in the spinal canal, I can speak from experience. No, I did not gain weight due to the shot, and I went through the series twice 4 years apart. And, I know several folks who've had this procedure and none have gained weight due to the procedure. Weight gain MAY be due to lack of exercise due to the pain of the injury. I think the key is to make sure you are doing exercises that don't exasperate the injury. And, if your doctor hasn't written you a script for PT, have him do it, and ask the PT to show you approved exercises, with the correct form and to advise what exercises NOT to do. I found out the hard way this is an important question to ask. Good luck!!

I second this post. I also had lumbar epidural injections AND a spinal fusion surgery. I've never heard of weight gain due to epidural injections (doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I'm skeptical). I did not gain weight after my injections or my surgery. I would say that the weight gain may be a side effect of not exercising like JDHINAZ stated before.

One of the people on MFP is Iceprincessk25 who is involved in PT (I believe she is a PT). You may want to ask her about this if she doesn't see your post and answer it herself.

Hope this helps!!! :flowerforyou:

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
This discussion has been closed.