running help!

Options
what is a good run? when you start the workout do you push yourself until your sweating and then brisk walk?or do you remain at a comfortable pace throughout the workout? which is better??? >"<

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I depends on the kind of run. For a normal everyday easy run I start of slow and over about 5 minutes gradually increase my pace to where I want it to be. This warms up the muscles and streches everything out so nothing gets hurt. Then I continue with that goal pace until I reach the time I set out to run.

Personally, I think continuous running is better for conditioning than running with walk breaks. However, if you are not yet at the point where continuous running is possible then walk breaks are better than not running at all. Walk breaks are also good if you want to run for a longer time but are not yet able to do that without them. The longer time with walk breaks is better than a shorter time without them. Eventually you will not need the walk breaks anymore if you don't want to do them.
  • LongRunner77
    LongRunner77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This answer is probably going to be different for everyone...it all depends on where you are fitness wise, how long you've been running, etc. I've been running for a few years now, have run everything from 5k's to marathons and longer, but for me....the first mile or two is usually the toughest when I'm still trying to get my pace down....after that the rest of the run is great. If you're just starting out the run/walk way is a good way to go...on some of my longer runs I walk every now and then too....
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    depends on goals.

i do longer, easier runs to cover distance some days. shorter, much more intense on other days. and then intervals, where i run really hard for a quarter mile or so, walk, repeat.

they all have their purpose. check out hal higdon's training plans.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I the answer is a little different for everyone. I am training for my first marathon and on my shorter runs I try to keep my heart rate up by pushing myself. On my longer runs I focus on pacing myself.
  • jessann87
    jessann87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would say I do the same, I run slower at first and then set my pace once im warmed up. I don't take walk breaks no matter how far I am running, and I go for miles instead of tracking time. I do 2 short runs (3-4 mile runs) and one long run (5+) a week.
    One thing I have learned is its easier to just slow down (to an embarassing rate) then to stop and start walking. and of course it does depend on where you are at in your running, how long you have been running and so on. my goal is always distance, not speed so I focus on pacing myself and adjusting to how I feel. Good Luck!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above posters. It really depends on your goal. Are you a runner? Just starting? Training for something?

I run between 20-30 miles a week. Right now I'm training for a half. My long runs are just a comfortable run, getting the distance in. Some shorter are fast paced, then my interval training days, etc. In my "off" training time, I have different goals for a run depending on what other working out I'm doing.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to running, and have found this to work best for me. After doing a bit of stretching I walk quickly (around 4 mph) for the first 1/8 mile or so, then begin to jog and slowly increase my speed to where I can still breathe evenly but feel like I am pushing myself a little bit. Using this method I have been able to complete a 5k distance in 35 - 37 minutes (including the initial 1/8 mile walking), and I still feel like I can continue running when I am finished. FYI - I am 58 yrs. old, 214 lbs., 5'10", and have only been running for a few months.
  • terryakii
    terryakii Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thank's for the advice!! im thinking im going to practice improving my continuous running and increase my pace over time! just sometimes after a hour workout i felt i have n't made much difference, just practice i guess! :D
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing about running is to make it something that's sustainable. If you don't have at least a mildly pleasant time doing it, chances are you won't continue to do it.

I achieve this by calling all my jogs "fun runs," and whenever I feel the urge to slow my pace or take it easy, I make sure to do that. This helps me get out the door, and at this point I actually love running! My body is stronger and I can go miles and miles. :)

Have FUN!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and the type of run, but no, you would definitely never start out as fast as possible and then taper from there. That is a good cause of injury and slow progress overall.

The types of runs you may encounter are; race, tempo, hills, speed, easy and recovery. These have different paces based on your own experience and speed.

Depending on your goal, whether it be for fitness, learning to run or preparing for a race would determine what training runs and duration your runs would be.

If you are just learning to run, take a look at the Couch to 5k program. C25K. It will teach you how to increase your time and distance.

If you want to learn more about training, take a look at runnersworld, or search out Jeff Galloway (He has a great run/walk program) or Hal Higdon. They both have fantastic programs for training for a specific race.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    thank's for the advice!! im thinking im going to practice improving my continuous running and increase my pace over time! just sometimes after a hour workout i felt i have n't made much difference, just practice i guess! :D
    You're not supposed to feel like you're beat down after every run. For normal aerobic conditioning runs you are supposed to finish the run felling like you could keep going. The increase in fitness is still happening.

Long runs, tempo runs, and speed workouts are a different story. These you finish feeling pretty spent, but not totally exhausted. But you should only be doing these once or twice a week in the context of a whole lot of other easy runs.
  • Jrunta
    Jrunta Posts: 2
    Options
    For me, it's about listening to my body. I can run pretty fast in the beginning but then I'm too tired to run again. So instead, I start with a brisk 5-7 minute warm up walk and work up to a jog. I do interval runs to keep my pace up. 2 minutes walking then 2 minutes jogging. After a month or so I notice those becoming "easier" so I change it to 3 min jogging and 2 min walking. Listening to what your body wants is key to prevent injury. The best way to sabotage your progress is to push too far too fast and get hurt- then your progress is stalled and it is easier to slip back into old habits. I don't care anymore how long it takes, or how fast I go....as long as I just do it! "No matter how slow you run you are still lapping everyone on the couch"
  • runnergirl117
    Options
    I do it by music. For example, I might run to 3 songs on the first day and try to run for 4 songs the next. The time of the music distracts me from looking at my watch or the clock on a treadmill. I used this method to help me train for 2 full marathons and many Half Marathons. As soon as you build endurance you can set your goal on miles and not time or number of songs. It works! Promise! Add me and let me know how it goes... Id love to talk with other runners
  • dianemhansen
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I just started a program last week to help me be one! It has me walking and running. For example... the first week I ran for 1 minute then walked for 2. I did this 7 times. This week I run for 2 min and walk for 2 min. doing this 5 times. I'm liking it:) Seems an easy way of getting into running and I'm burning calories!!
  • mum23boys
    mum23boys Posts: 31
    Options
    When I started running 2 years ago I went to the Running Room and they advised me that doing the run/walk worked great. I run 10min and then walk 1min. The walk is at a fast pace and while I walk I stretch out my legs. Even though I could run a fair distance without walking (and I do for some of my training) I still like doing this for my long runs. I find I have more energy for the whole run if I take these short 1min breaks (usually at a 4.5miles an hour pace). I've run 3 half marathons and brought my time down 33min to 1:55:45. I do find the first mile or so is often the hardest but as my body warms up the running gets easier.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else on this.... It definitely depends on your fitness and training level. I started a year ago and couldn't run 30 seconds at a time. I use the "Couch to the 5K" to train. It takes you through the run/walk cycles and gradually extends you out. For someone who could not run at all, this worked perfectly. Now.... I start out with a warm-up and then pace myself to go at least the first 4-5 miles without walking. After that, at my level, I still have to briskly walk on some of the bigger hills but I make sure I get back into running mode as soon as I level off my breathing. Again, this works for me, but everyone's body responds differently. Some of us are designed right down to our very cellular structure for long distance and some are designed more toward shorter, faster sprints making us work harder for the distance. Play with different techniques and find out where you fall in.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Many of my routes take me past or through cemeteries. A good run for me means that I'm going at a comfortable pace, but know that zombies started rising, I still have enough oomph to sprint fast enough to get away from them.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    For me a "good run" is one where I'm running at a fast pace and it feels really slow and I know I can kick it up even more and make it better. A good run is also one where five minutes into it I don't feel like I'm going to die and I'm not tempted to stop and do something else.
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    if your an absolute beginner like me,
    i am doing the couch to 5k programme which you can get free as phone apps or downloadable pod casts and they start you off walking briskly, then jogging for intervals for 9 weeks
    As the 9 weeks go on you walk less and jog more till you can do 5k without stopping., i am on week 2 and have never felt better, i know it's going to get harder and i will need to push myself, but i am looking forward to it!!
  • lisasjen
    lisasjen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In my opinion when your starting if your physically able you want to run at a comfortable pace and push yourself to extend the distance. When you have a solid running base which would be running 3x a week or more with a total of 9-20 miles then you would start speed work. Even before you officially start speed work you will notice dramatic improvement in your pace with time and you will be comfortable while this happens.
    I think the comfortable pace helps prevent injury and burnout.