help with weight lifting routine to go with weight loss

Options
Currently I'm at 200 lbs and am 5'8. 34 years old. along with my dietary change I'm playing in street hockey leagues two to three days a week max. For those that don't know, street means no skates. Games are about 45 minutes and I play about half that. It's a real good fun way to do hiit. Lots of sprinting.

my number 1 goal right now is to get rid of my gut and little man boobs so I can take my kids to the beach this summer and take my shirt off. Seriously. I started playing hockey again as a fun way to lose weight. I'm really in to it so I'd play with or without the weight loss benefit. In addition to the hockey 2-3 days a week I'm cutting the calories (cutting back on carbs and increasing protein) and wanted to lift three days a week to help with the weight loss and reshape. No matter what i do will help because I've been sedentary for a long time. I think I'll get a little stronger no matter what cause I'm little girl weak. The end game is to be a lean 165-170 and eventually get a little stronger to play ice hockey. This is the program that I'm settling on for now. Can you let me know how it looks for now? See if I need to or should tweak anything. I'm staying heavier with the compound exercises and lighter with others. My diary is also public so any input on my diet is appreciated as well.

Monday
Db Bench press 3x8-12 reps
Db shoulder Press 3x8-12 reps
Incline DB press 3x8-12 reps
Chest isolation 3x8-12 reps
Squat 3x5 (starting strength style. going to try and add 5-10 lbs per workout)

Tuesday/Wednesday Game

Thursday
Bench 3x5 (starting strength style)
Press 3x5 (starting strength style)
Dips 3x6-8
Incline DB press 3x8-12
Tri iso 3x8-12

Friday
Squat 3x5 (starting strength style)
Pull Ups 3x6-8
Dead 2x5 (starting strength style)
Bicep Iso 3x8-12 reps

Saturday
off

Sunday
Game

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of accessory work. If you are just starting out, why don't you use a beginner program? You are obviously already aware of starting strength. 'beginner' muscles can benefit a lot from being worked out a couple times a week. That's why Rippetoe and a lot of others squat every workout for nubs.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm going to watch this thread, I'm almost exactly in the same boat as you. I'm 34, 180ish and the same height. I'm getting ready to start back on my weight training. Here's what I was doing before track season started and I couldn't get to the gym. I'm trying to get there on Saturdays for weights, even if I can't do my cardio routine.

Cardio:

At least 3 days of:

1-mile jog @ roughly an 8 minute mile.
    Either elliptical or bicycle for at least 20 minutes

1 day a week:
    Eliminated the elliptical/bicycle and simply ran at least 2 miles, sometimes 2.5 miles.

1 day a week:
    Do stair machine for 30 minutes instead of bicycle or elliptical.

Weights for my Saturday only routine:

Dumbell press: 12-15, 3 sets.
    Calf raises: 25, 3 sets
    Lat pull down: 10-12, 3 sets
    Shoulder press: 8-10, 3 sets
    Quad lift/extensions: 15, 5 sets

Diet wise, I just try to make sure I get plenty of protein and try to keep sodium & fats down.

JM