Benefits of cinnamon??

Options
Hi :)

I recently read that taking cinnamon can help with PCOS and diabetes. Which should then aid weight loss. Everything I've read on-line from diabetes, PCOS and fertility sites has been positive... But I was just wondering if anyone had any experience here, good or bad?

The tablets themselves (I'd prefer to take it as a tablet) are quite expensive, so hopefully someone will be able to tell me if they're worth it?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Sorry to bump this up. Would really appreciate some help? X
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how eating cinnamon can create a calorie deficit?
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how eating cinnamon can create a calorie deficit?

It doesn't. It has nothing to do with calories. People with PCOS or diabetes tend to find it harder to lose weight, than the average person. Due to insulin.

Iv read cinnamon reduces the insulin... so makes it easier to lose weight due to not retaining extra insulin (I think).
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    When I was told to take cinnamon pills by my doctor, it was to help my circulation. I have raynaud's phenomenon, so my fingers and toes always turn white and go numb in cold weather. Not exactly sure how it can help in weight loss, but it defintiely helped with my circulation issue. But every time I burped, that's all I could taste!! :laugh:
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The idea behind cinnamon, as far as what I understand, is that it aids in the processing of sugars. I do not know how this is as I don't know the "science" or "theory" behind it. Rumor says it aids in sugar processing.

Do I take cinnamon? I do, but I can't say that I have noticed a difference. If it is making one then it isn't a strong, noticeable one. As my doctor said, it certainly isn't going to hurt.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    The idea behind cinnamon, as far as what I understand, is that it aids in the processing of sugars. I do not know how this is as I don't know the "science" or "theory" behind it. Rumor says it aids in sugar processing.

Do I take cinnamon? I do, but I can't say that I have noticed a difference. If it is making one then it isn't a strong, noticeable one. As my doctor said, it certainly isn't going to hurt.
    I think it is to do with the way the blood sugar reacts after the meal. If you look up Patrick Holford on 100% health. He recommends the tablets as there is a toxin that would be too present in the quantities of the powder you would need to use in each meal. But I think the outcome is less about weight loss, but more about over all health. It is particularly useful for avoiding those after meal slumps.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Benefits of cinnamon: It makes food taste good. That's about it. It does nothing for weight loss. There was one study in 2003 that showed it reduced blood glucose levels in Type 2 Diabetics, but it was a pretty small sample size (only 60 subjects,) and it had nothing to do with weight loss.

It does seem to have a lot of antiviral properties, however.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    cinnamon speeds the metabolism and it has iron in it. I have it every morning with quinoa, yummmm!!
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i've been taking cinnamon tea as i figured it was worth a try and it tastes nice. Not sure if i have had any benefits, but the tea contains licorice and fennel and they have a diuretic effect so i'm not retaining water as badly as i used to (yay!)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    try eating a spoonful of cinnamon every day. it is amazing what the health benefits are, and how it can give you extra energy.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    try eating a spoonful of cinnamon every day. it is amazing what the health benefits are, and how it can give you extra energy.

YES! This is a great suggestion!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I will suck on a cinnamon stick when I feel like munching but I have no idea if it help my weight losses or my PCOS
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Benefits of cinnamon: It makes food taste good. That's about it. It does nothing for weight loss. There was one study in 2003 that showed it reduced blood glucose levels in Type 2 Diabetics, but it was a pretty small sample size (only 60 subjects,) and it had nothing to do with weight loss.

It does seem to have a lot of antiviral properties, however.

It goes on to say, saliva contains a chemical harmful to cinnamon rendering it ineffective.

I've started taking capsules 1-2 grams per day to help with high triglycerides.