salt and water?

Options
just procrastinating a little here.

We all have heard the mantra cut down on salt. When the studies say that high salt intake is related to all those health issues; are they controlling for water intake? Does anybody know if there are studies out there that discuss the relationship between salt intake and water intake?

I figure that salt and water intake are related at the cellular level. Osmosis, cell salt concentration, hypotonic and hypertonic solutions and all that other stuff we supposedly once learned in biology class.

So is high salt, low water intake worse for someone, than say, the same amount of salt intake and high water intake?

just curious.

Replies

• pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    just procrastinating a little here.

We all have heard the mantra cut down on salt. When the studies say that high salt intake is related to all those health issues; are they controlling for water intake? Does anybody know if there are studies out there that discuss the relationship between salt intake and water intake?

I figure that salt and water intake are related at the cellular level. Osmosis, cell salt concentration, hypotonic and hypertonic solutions and all that other stuff we supposedly once learned in biology class.

So is high salt, low water intake worse for someone, than say, the same amount of salt intake and high water intake?

just curious.
  • lcn42781
    lcn42781 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Everything I have ever heard states that the more sodium in your diet, the more water you'll retain in your body.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you eat alot of salt, you need to drink alot of water.Yeah I know what ur thinking. But drinking plenty of water will help flush the body and you will retain less water. Weird I know but it works. :wink:
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I wondered that too- By drinking so much water, we can 'relax' a little about sodium intake?? Seems to make sense.
    I beleive that someone who consumes 2500 mg of sodium, and drinks at least 64 ounces of water will be overall much healthier than the person who consumes 2500 sodium and drinks no water.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I average about 2100 mg of sodium a day and drink at least 64oz of water a day and I have no issues with bloating or puffiness, only if I don't drink the water, so it must work!
  • CamCam
    CamCam Posts: 43
    Options
    which is better sea salt or regular salt?