People with children....

Replies

• jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    I also want to say my kids take their own lunches as well to school. The school menus are horrendous.
  • peacemerc
    peacemerc Posts: 18
    My 3 yr old son loves to go outside to the park and play at the kids place in the gym while my wife and I workout. We plan weekend adventures every weekend that take us outside and involve a fair amount of activity. For example last weekend was a 7 mile jog/hike around the lake. Our daughter who is only 7 months loves to play with her brother and they play together everyday. We work to eat healthy, but right now he is a very picky eater and is somewhat underweight being only 32 lbs and 3 years old. Again we are working on him to eat more foods, but so long as he gets all his nutrients we figure he will eventually realize eating more is better.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    I try to buy healthier choices for their snacks; however, just like me I do buy "junk" (e.g. a pack of cookies, or chips etc). For lunch/snack they're allowed to have something like a sandwhich or equivalent with 1-2 pieces of fruit and one "junk" food option. If it's cookies, I let them have 2-3 depending on the size. Chips are usually in the small individual bags.

Each of them gets to help me cook dinner at night (they take turns). They're learning how to measure out serving sizes and about portion control. I was a proud mama when my 11 year old told me her teacher brought up serving sizes to their classroom one day and she was able to contribute to the conversation! Her teacher was impressed that she knew about reading the nutrion labels etc.

In summary, I'm trying to teach them to eat with moderation. If you want a cookie, you can have a cookie. Just not the entire package. Fruit and veggies (which they love) should be the first choice they make when they want to snack on something. If they're thirsty, they're allowed to drink water (I do have generic Crystal Light for them) and milk. They see where I've ended up making the decisions in my life. They don't want to end up there and are excited learning with me on this journey.

I have 5 children and a granddaughter: 22, 20, 12, 9, 7, 3 (grandbaby). I have 1 son, he's the 9 year old and is the most excited to work out at night with me.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    My kids are 4 and 5. If you ask their favorite foods, they'll both tell you tilapia (though they say tapia) and broccoli (which is steamed only, nothing else on it). The know what is healthy and what is not, and if they're not sure, they ask. For a treat, they'll get treats, candy, that sort of thing, and what the rest of my family doesn't seem to understand is that my kids will get ONE starburst, or ONE mini candy bar or something like that. If they're happy with one, why offer more?! They know those things aren't healthy for them, so they're happy to have a bit. They rarely ask for more. For "treats" most of the time, they have yogurt, or fruit, or even pita chips with hummus. Just 2 days ago, my kids at my bag of petite carrots before i could even have one! They said, "Mommy, they're just SOOO YUMMY!"

I'm not perfect, i eat crap, take the kids to the drive-thru, drink pop, etc. BUT, what's important is they know what is good for them and what is not. The know the reason we don't go to McDonalds every time we drive by is because it's not good for us and is a "sometimes" food. And my kids always wanna work out with me. If i'm doing a video, i let them, they usually don't get to come on runs/walks with me as their little legs get worn out too easily!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    My daughter currently is almost 19.

But, when she was young, we made it a point never - EVER to have junk food in the house. No juice (she had very bad dermatological problems and urinary problems - even when it was watered down), no junk foods, NO KRAFT MACARONI AND CHEESE, no preprocessed/prepackaged junk food.. .real food. Every day, real food.

I made a game where we took a really colorful and fun hat and we would create a list of seven new foods (one to try per day).

1.) fruit
    2.) vegetable
    3.) meat
    4.) seafood
    5.) Chinese
    6.) Mexican The three types of dishes here would change week to week.
    7.) Italian

Ariel would pull one piece of paper out of the hat - whatever was on that paper is what we either made or shopped for.

One time she picked lobster. She was VERY excited about this I mean, what kid doesnt love going to see them in the big tank, right?

We steamed up some lobsters, had sliced lemons on the side, made a nice garden salad to go with it, and a cup of vegetable soup on the side.

My daughter tried the lobster meat from the tail and the claw to start. She liked the claw better but, she asked about the 'green' stuff. I told her the truth about what it was (she was age 6 at the time), she asked me if she could try it where it wasnt on the list.. I laughed and told her "absolutely!".. she LIKED IT!!!!!! She had to call up her greatgrandfather to tell him because she knew he eats that. He was giggling so hard and so proud of her too!

Every piece of paper that we tried, we marked on a big calendar. The day we had lobster, that paper was glued to it. She would either put a star for 'LOVED" or a checkmark for "LIKED".. At the end of the week, if she tried each new food/item every day, we would give her a little prize (a new book, a coloring book, new hair accessories), something to acknowledge we were proud of her trying a new item. But the prize had to be non-food related....

Fastforward to almost 19... she still eats very healthy, enjoys exotic foods and dishes (she is a big fan of Takoyaki) and still tries new foods when offered.

You have to start young with them.. and you have to make it fun for them, otherwise it will come off as almost punishment-like...depending on how you approach it of course
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Children learn by example. My daughter (4 years old) will reach for a strawberry before she reaches for a candy. She eats what we eat (whole grains, vegetables, lean meat, etc), and we don't cater to her just because she is a child. She know that pizza and candy are treats that you have every once in a while, but not everyday. She loves water and has never had a sip of soda, nor does she care for it, because she doesn't see us drinking it.

On a recent trip, the pilot was brining down the plane very fast due to bad weather. My ears were popping and I felt bad for my daughter, so I offered her a piece of gum. She looked at me and said, "I'm not allowed to have gum." I said, "I know you are not, but this is going to help your ears...I am giving you permission this one time to chew gum." She refused to take the gum. I was cracking up, but felt very proud that she refused to take the gum.

NICE JOB !!!!! 8-)
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    I have a 7 and 3 year old. We eat healthy meals we make together and stay very active. We also have lots of conversations about making healthy choices, and what's a healthy choice and what is not. I also don't buy juice (except sparkling juice) and if we have juice it is a special occasion. They usually just drink water and almond milk. They watch and join me and DH when we do a exercise video tape or run on treadmill. We go hiking and do lots of outdoor activities. We also have a garden so there are lots of conversations around what we are planting and how it fuels our body. DS#1 plays ice hockey and football as well as lots of other outside things. DS#2 tries to keep up with older brother and is learning to ice Skate. Don't get me wrong we still have candy and pizza is a favorite here but all in moderation. And cooked veggies are not a favorite of the kids but they do love all the raw veggies they can get.

In the end it is up to them how they will decided to live their life, so we will see if any of this helps or hurts...
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    I knew a family that only allowed their children to have sweets and junk food only on the weekends. That way, the kids ate good, health foods over 90%. They didn't mind because they knew they would get their weekend treat.

When my brothers and I were growing up I don't think we ever had biscuits or fizzy drinks or other junk food in the house, and it never occurred to us to mind. We had it at birthday parties of course, but it wasn't ever part of our normal everyday eating - still isn't, and we're adults now so I reckon it was a good thing.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    My daughter is two-three in a couple months and she eats pretty much whatever I eat. She eats really healthy but I also give her chocolates, candy, and cake in moderation. She has an intense love for chips, so I let her have some if we are out to eat, which isn't often. We play outside everyday. Even if its just playing with chalk outside, but we go to the park alot and she is already physically more capable than most kids her age. We are going to put her in a soccer program this summer if we can find one close by. If not I was going to sign her up for (hopefully) a hip-hop or jazz dance class. If not... I guess ballet will do, but I would rather have her in something more fast paced, as she is pretty ADHD.

I already have plans for my 8 month old to be a long distance runner. She seems to have gotten the runner side of my families genetics. I'm probably going to start her pretty young, at about 1 1/2 - 2 or so with going on walks with me and seeing how she likes running and just go from there. When I was pregnant with my first daughter I woulld jog around a track by my house and two days a week there would be 3-8 year olds racing around the track and it was just sooo cute. Which is why I want to start her so early. Gia (2 year old) Doesn't have a good body type to run. She would be better in Volleyball/soccer/softball/martial arts. She is more of a power house type, even at this age.

So yeah, my children will probably always have a balanced diet and love for sports.

*We are also going to start taking our older daughter to do indoor rock climbing because she would enjoy something like that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    I think it has a good deal to do with what they see from us the parents. If they see us parents actively exercising, eating healthy then they will in most cases follow that example. My problem when I was growing up, there was always cookies, chips and other junk food in the house, so that it was I ate. I did not eat veggies when I was young either.
    THIS. Children mimic example. If your kid's example is bad, then they are mirroring you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BReit1
    BReit1 Posts: 28
    My kids are 7, 6, 4, and 2.5 years old. 1 girl, 3 boys. It's all about starting healthy habits EARLY! That's not to say my kids beg me for vegetables (well, my daughter, the 4 year old, does, but not any of my boys) but they all LOVE fruit and they will eat vegetables on their plate at meal times. My kids can be fussy eaters at times, making it fun and different makes them more apt to eat it. We get outside when weather permits, and they ride bikes, scooters, play basketball, soccer, or we go to the park. My oldest child has autism, diagnosed 5 years ago. One of his sensory symptoms is that he has some texture issues, some foods make him gag because of the texture. We're always trying new recipes and ideas to mix it up and find things that work for him. He recently changed medications and his new medication has a side effect of weight gain, it can also cause high blood sugar. Because of this, I've been more conscious than ever of creating healthy habits for my kids. My daughter was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and began taking a medication with a side effect of decreased appetite/weight loss, healthy eating has become more important then ever around my house! Sounds like you've got a good handle on creating healthy habits for your son!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    I just posted something along the lines of what type of mentality/self image I want to instill in my children. The main thing for me, besides the food they eat, is the self talk I do around them & the lifestyle I lead.

My mom always fed us very healthy. My mom has pretty much been thin her whole life. Maybe 10-15 lbs over what she would like at times. We kids grew up eating very healthy & were all in year round sports. That said...she and her friends were always on a diet. ALWAYS!! My parents were pretty active until their mid 30s, when 4 kids and life prioritized working out right out of their lives. BUT, a few months of eating "bad" and one would try a new diet or going to a workout class because they gained 5-10 lbs. These are the things I constantly heard from she & her friends "Today was a good eating day" "well, I already had a cookie, lets just eat a ton of crap since I already screwed today up!!!" Blah, blah. I believe from these things, and my all or nothing type personality, created this warped view I had of weight/fitness/self talk.

When I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I knew I had to change. No more labeling days or food "good" and 'bad". No more eating 1 cookie, then declaring my day ruined and eating my face off the rest of the day. No more talking so horrible about my body and myself. I had already commited to working out 5-6 days a week right before I became pregnant, but I needed to work on my mental game. I did some, what I believed & still kinda do, silly mirror affirmations before a shower everyday. "My body birthed my son. My body is making another life. My body is strong. My body is amazing and should be praised, not criticized!" I learned to eat a cookie...and have one...gasp!...and eat healthy, well balanced meals the rest of the day. Somedays I slipped into the good/bad day thing, but now not much at all!

My kids see my husband and I do races. Run marathons. I am an instructer for a stoller fitness class that both my children have been going to since birth. We bike with them in the bike trailor, ride it to go get ice cream...after they ate chicken breasts and veggies for dinner. This morning I looked in the mirror at myself. I see a body that is below it's prepregnancy weight, a body that's stomach is wrinkled from those babies, A body that has run 13.1 miles on road and trail, A body that is STRONG! A body that is committed to living a healthy lifestyle. A body that will show my beautiful children what words and thoughts to direct at theirs.
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Our son is four and we had the discussion about what is 'good' for his heart. We told him that vegetables and fruits are good for his heart. He knows lots of candy is bad for his heart. It all started because he loves the taste of butter and we told him that he can't eat too much because it would hurt his heart. We are careful about it because it can scare him. He was afraid to eat butter for a few days at all because of it. So we tell him 'too much' is bad for his heart. It's really helped because even now at daycare when the pass out treats like cookies, he says to the teachers 'I only want one, because I don't want to hurt my heart' He's learning moderation. He also is constantly asking what foods are good for his heart. He loves to ride his bike now and run around because it's good for his heart. He even says he wants to be a runner when he grows up.
    My side of family is chock full of heart disease, hypertension and diabetes so my husband and I are really careful about our habits so we can live long lives and so our children can too.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    I think i have made better choices for my daughter (17 mos) than i have for myself. I give her fruit and veggies at almost every meal. If she wont eat a true meat protein, i make sure she gets it with cottage cheese or plain fat free yogurt that we make. I'm doing my best to be able to show her how to eat by doing it myself. It's difficult, but we must also show them that treats are allowed and shouldn't be discouraged.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    My little guy is almost 2 and he eats ALL veggies and fruits- and only discriminates against onions (must be a texture thing for him). We get all of our food from a local co-op and make everything from scratch. I'm just proud to say that he has a very broad palet and loves Beecher Flagship cheese that is made her in Seattle Washington- and is very much an aquired taste. Every now and then he gets what I call "junk food"- which is what they feed the kids at daycare, which is a BUNCH of processed crap. That is why I pack his breakfast and lunch daily and he only partakes in their food on the very rare occasion that I'm running late.

.... and like any two year old he likes to run and dance :)
  • Stymie977
    Stymie977 Posts: 12 Member
    My son is 2, and i guess I am kind of lucky because he simply is not a fan of sweets. He chooses to eat raw veggies over candy or cookies! He does have graham crackers or cracker from time to time, but his normal snacks are fruits or veggies. He LOVES bell peppers, and cold peas.
    What I do is limit his processed foods. His diet consists of veggies, long grain/brown rice, whole grain noodles, etc. and lean meats. I dont do fast food, but if we do go out, I choose somewhere with a salad bar, and he will eat from there or have plain steamed broccoli, or green beans.
    He does eat processed foods at daycare, so that is one thing I cant control, and i do give him pizza on rare occasions. One other thing I cant control is what he eats when he is with his mother, which isnt usually the best things in the world. He is with her about one week each month, and i trust that he eats more healthy food than not, but there is no way to control that.
    As most 2 year old kids go he is very active. If the sun is shining we get outside whenever possible. I plan to try to keep him active with sports that he is interested in as he gets older, and continue with his diet.
    I think that if I eat clean, and pay attention to what I buy, or make, he will continue to eat healthy, and continue on with a healthy, clean lifestyle.
    I am not a tall guy, but he is about the height of kids one and two years older than he is, but lean and fit, so I like to think his diet has something to do with it.
  • merricker
    merricker Posts: 7 Member
    My kids are little, so they are just naturally very active. They don't need any encouragement. I've often wondered how many calories I would burn if I bounced everywhere all day long the way my 4-year-old does.

We don't do any juice, just milk and water. They were breastfed babies. The kids eat what we eat, no "kid food." They love asparagus, broccoli, hummus, you name it. We do go out for ice cream at times, but there is no candy, chips or sweets in the house ever, since we don't eat that stuff ourselves. We follow the rule posted in my peds office about food: "You choose what. They choose how much."

This is the same way I was raised. There were very healthy food habits at my house, and a kitchen full of healthy food. It didn't stop me from putting on some weight when I got to school and had other influences and other choices. It will get MUCH harder when they are in school and out of the control bubble of my house. I don't know what I will do then, so I appreciate reading about those of you with school age kids.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Sounds like you're doing the right things already. :flowerforyou:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    my kids rarely if ever drink juice. Pure sugar. I give them the fruit to eat instead. My kids drink water and about 8-16 oz a day of milk. They get junk in moderation. They will fight you for broccoli and carrots and bell peppers. They beg for grilled salmon and talapia and shrimp. They eat a lot of salads. We have little to no processed foods except on rare occasions. They are always running, dancing and playing. They also force me to go to the gym! My boys are 7 and almost 4. The weight I lose is because they inspire me. Although my almost 4 yr old is a candy junkie so we have to keep it down to 2-3 pieces a day when he gets it on holidays until it is gone. My 7 yr old is a health nut. He makes sure every meal is balanced. I love my boys.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I just don't buy it. Kids are healthy eaters with fast matabolism by nature. They will graze and snack all day. If you don't buy junk food they won't eat it. My kids do get junk food at cookouts and b-day parties, etc. They can't avoid that, but it teaches them moderation.
    I have 5 kids my oldest is 17. She is the only one with a weight problem and even that isn't so bad. She could lose a little bit, but she is also my bookworm. She will sit and read all day and weekends and is not too active. My other kids are all perfectly healthy weights. My youngest is 6.